• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Not real impressed with MT v3

Ecobeast

Well just thought I'd share a little about my first 3 days with my MT v3. I started the break in process ran about 1 1/2 tanks through it and it wouldn't move try to accelerate and it just sat there. Found out the break was locked up one of the adjustment set screws fell out. Got that fixed and started having problems with it wanting to die and bogging out. Fixed that by venting the fuel cap. Now I noticed I had now 4x4 my front wheels were not getting any power to them tore the front end apart and my front drive pinion gear had broke. The shaft had sheard in half. Filled out a warranty claim form on redcats website. Hopefully they cover the gear. I will say when it was running it's an awesome truck for my first one. It is very easy to work on as well. It's starts right up runs and fine even better now that I checked the plug gap which was way to big, adjusted the gap and now it starts in 3 pulls instead of 8. Ive gotten my redcat tuned pipe and installed that and it sounds awesome don't know about a difference in power because I'm still trying to break the motor in. Just not real impressed tho that I've already had these issues when I paid $750 for a toy truck. Haven't even got to let it rip wide open yet and it's already giving me problems. Any input is appreciated.

garthur1128

They all have little bugs in them. The front gear breaking is odd though. We always go through and loctite everything. I upgrade the servos on mine and it's been doing great for five years. I've broke some stuff bashing but that's it. Once you get the bugs worked out you will be happy. Even the $1000 and up 1/5 scales have some bugs.

Ecobeast

They all have little bugs in them. The front gear breaking is odd though. We always go through and loctite everything. I upgrade the servos on mine and it's been doing great for five years. I've broke some stuff bashing but that's it. Once you get the bugs worked out you will be happy. Even the $1000 and up 1/5 scales have some bugs.
I appreciate your input. I sure hope I can get these bugs worked out and actually get it broke in and have some fun. I enjoy working on it tho. I'm a machine maintenance mechanic for a living so I'm use to fixing things and it is a neat little set up. I guess I just feel I shouldn't have to deal with it on a new unit but I guess even tho it was $750 it's half price of some other brands. You get what you pay for like usual i guess. Hopefully redcat sends me an email with good news today. They did reply in one day and asked for pictures I sent pictures in right away so guess we will see what they say.

garthur1128

I understand. I've had 4 of them lol and I always upgrade the servos and this time went with a futaba radio. On the motor I use a jetpro rear mount pipe and it's made the most power with it. Also a 990 carb, and a 8,000 rpm clutch spring. On the one I have now I also went with a .005 head gasket and with this set up it screams. I can pull my kids in a little wagon at a fast pace lol and they weigh about 200 pounds together. I hope you get it worked out buddy cause they are a blast.

Ecobeast

I understand. I've had 4 of them lol and I always upgrade the servos and this time went with a futaba radio. On the motor I use a jetpro rear mount pipe and it's made the most power with it. Also a 990 carb, and a 8,000 rpm clutch spring. On the one I have now I also went with a .005 head gasket and with this set up it screams. I can pull my kids in a little wagon at a fast pace lol and they weigh about 200 pounds together. I hope you get it worked out buddy cause they are a blast.
Good news Redcat is sending me a new pinion gear covered by warranty. They do seem to have good customer service they where very prompt on gettin back to me through email and apologized for the problems. Said this is the first time they have ever had that gear break like that. I'll have to check into them upgrades. So far I've got the Redcat tuned pipe only because it came with the truck. I've bought the DT1 triple filter with the velocity stack and tgn pre filter cover. Got the super bee killer rc kill switch the DDM 4600mah battery pack and a set of killer rc red led and white led for head lights and tail lights. Can't wait to get it all back together and finish the break in.

garthur1128

Good deal, glad to hear that. I just broke a clutch spring today so waiting on a new one now. But that one lasted a few years so can't complain. Well buddy good luck and hope you don't have anymore problems with it.

Boomkidd

I had almost ALL the symptoms these exhibit I think. My most recent was the set screw near the brake discs backed out, then a bearing in the gear plate self destructed and took out the one hole in the gear plate too *sigh* SO, gona upgrade all bearings as they are junk and the bearing holders among other things. (Plastic gets hot and no way it is as rigid as it were cold.) But the best upgrade is the belt drive setup I just ordered from a guy in Germany (off ebay.) Im still waiting on it as I just ordered a few days ago, but the belt instead of the gears will generate way less heat which is what I think makes the set screws back out on me (the heat liquefies the loctite and the screws back out...not so w/ a belt drive.) Anyway, one of the biggest things I wish I did before even running it once was take it apart and loctite anything metal to metal. Good luck dude!

Ecobeast

I had almost ALL the symptoms these exhibit I think. My most recent was the set screw near the brake discs backed out, then a bearing in the gear plate self destructed and took out the one hole in the gear plate too *sigh* SO, gona upgrade all bearings as they are junk and the bearing holders among other things. (Plastic gets hot and no way it is as rigid as it were cold.) But the best upgrade is the belt drive setup I just ordered from a guy in Germany (off ebay.) Im still waiting on it as I just ordered a few days ago, but the belt instead of the gears will generate way less heat which is what I think makes the set screws back out on me (the heat liquefies the loctite and the screws back out...not so w/ a belt drive.) Anyway, one of the biggest things I wish I did before even running it once was take it apart and loctite anything metal to metal. Good luck dude!
Sorry to hear that man. Hope the belt drive works out for ya. Do you have a link so I can take a look at the belt drive.

Phill

You run 1: 1 in your Dunerunner? Think 1:1 will work on the MT? I use the stock tires most of the time
1:1 is a bit low for the DR that's why I'm going to 0.65:1
1:1 should be fine on the MT

G-Man

1:1 is a bit low for the DR that's why I'm going to 0.65:1
1:1 should be fine on the MT
I see. I guess there is no way of telling what it will do on your rig till you try it. I am going to try 1:1 route thanks man. Been kicking around the idea for 6 months now. I saw an older post that you were talking about it and how well it works for your DR. Anything to make this MT lighter and less rotational weight should really help.

Ecobeast

Just an update. I got my new pinion gear today. Installed that installed all my upgrades as listed above plus a glitch buster just in case. Tested out my killer bee kill switch and it's works as it should. Ran a good 1/2 tank threw it then it just stopped moving again. Took it back to my little work shop I set up for this truck and found that one of the set screws for one of the drive gears came loose so the gear was just spinning on the shaft, tightened it up with loctite and checked the other gears aswell. Started it back up and ran like a champ for another 1/2 tank then the damn redcat tuned pipe broke in half at the weld joint like I've read would happen. So I just ordered the DDM dominator pipe. I gotta say this thing is a blast when it's running. The motor/carb set up seems really good. In iowa it's around 10-15 degrees and it's starting from cold in just 2 pulls. Hopefully i get this DDM pipe that everyone raves about and I can finish out this gallon of break in fuel.

Phill

Just an update. I got my new pinion gear today. Installed that installed all my upgrades as listed above plus a glitch buster just in case. Tested out my killer bee kill switch and it's works as it should. Ran a good 1/2 tank threw it then it just stopped moving again. Took it back to my little work shop I set up for this truck and found that one of the set screws for one of the drive gears came loose so the gear was just spinning on the shaft, tightened it up with loctite and checked the other gears aswell. Started it back up and ran like a champ for another 1/2 tank then the damn redcat tuned pipe broke in half at the weld joint like I've read would happen. So I just ordered the DDM dominator pipe. I gotta say this thing is a blast when it's running. The motor/carb set up seems really good. In iowa it's around 10-15 degrees and it's starting from cold in just 2 pulls. Hopefully i get this DDM pipe that everyone raves about and I can finish out this gallon of break in fuel.

Make sure you Loctite the screws on your belt drive pulleys when you get it
I had one come out and get stuck in the cover

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts