• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

not getting any spark...

powerslave69

I have a really pampered XT so it's really clean. This morning I was getting ready to go again, but For some reason, the engine just refused to start. Pulled the spark plug out and did the spark plug test to make sure I got sparks when I point the plug to a metal object. Nothing. Ordered new plugs from DDM changed to a new plug cranked it but still not getting any spark. I know this is something simple, but I'm drawing blank. it's almost a new engine with less than 2 tanks of gas used. Any suggestions guys? What should I be looking for or do? I know when ideas starts coming in from you guys, I'm gonna kick myself in the ass for not coming up with the solutions you're going to give me. I got a good excuse though, I'm all stressed out with work and family so I could not concentrate and figure this out on my own. so I know you guys got my back,

powerslave69

elaborate

Triggerman77 said:
Triple Check the Kill Switch pull the rubber off !!!!
triggerman, I did install the redcat failsafe and I know this wire got a bad reputation for not being reliable. So, a bad failsafe will cause the plug not to have any spark? Should I try disconnecting it then try cranking up the motor again? But the motor should start on its own even without turning on the TX and RX, right? "Pull the rubber off" what rubber? please explain. thanks, dude! :D

Triggerman77

Contributor
+1 Fat The stock switch with red rubber cover. they stick in sometimes when u cut the truck off. pull the rubber off u can put it back on easy

powerslave69

it is

Triggerman77 said:
U sure the switch is coming out all the way ???
I even use a long nose plier to pull it out make sure the switch is all the way out but still no spark. I closed all blinds in my room, turned off the lights just to make sure I'm not really getting any spark. confirmed, no spark. I only had less than 2 tanks of gas on this truck. What's next guys? Should I start alerting RedCat that I have a less a month old truck that won't run, so whatever need to be replaced it will be covered by the warranty? but I really would rather find a solution instead of whining because my truck refuse to run? What's next?

powerslave69

coil?

RampageCrazy26cc said:
check your coil.
Where can I find the coil? A lot of guys keep saying this part could be the culprit when you're not getting any spark. Where is it and how do I check if it's bad or not?

RampageCrazy26cc

you have to pull the pull starter off and the cover where the pull starter bolts to and theres 2 screws holding it on..i havent tested one in a long time so..see if you can youtube it..look at your box that came with the truc

Last edited by a moderator:

powerslave69

mexican jumping spring

RampageCrazy26cc said:
you have to pull the pull starter off and the cover where the pull starter bolts to and theres 2 screws holding it on..i havent tested one in a long time so..see if you can youtube it..look at your box that came with the truc
if I remove the pull starter after I unscrew the bolts holding it in place, will I have a recoil spring that's going to jump out and ricochet across the room? :D

Fabe

As mentioned, your coil is under the fan cover. It will probably resemble this.

I would suggest testing the kill switch and coil with a multimeter. Also, your failsafe should not let the engine start with the radio off...that is precisely one of the situations it is designed for. Easiest would be to test without the failsafe present. Once you have determined the kill switch is not shorting the coil, verify that the coil is not loose and that the gap between it and the flywheel is correct. If you have an extra coil I might try swapping it out at that point.

Let us know what happens.

powerslave69

let there be light!!

Fabe said:
As mentioned, your coil is under the fan cover. It will probably resemble this.
I would suggest testing the kill switch and coil with a multimeter. Also, your failsafe should not let the engine start with the radio off...that is precisely one of the situations it is designed for. Easiest would be to test without the failsafe present. Once you have determined the kill switch is not shorting the coil, verify that the coil is not loose and that the gap between it and the flywheel is correct. If you have an extra coil I might try swapping it out at that point.

Let us know what happens.
Fabe, ok wil do. having a bad reputation as a failsafe, that....ah, well....fail:D

I'll start there. I'll let you guys know what happens. hey, if i can't get this to run, just knowing everyone's here to back me up, that's enough for me to stay a Ramper. But of course, who would want to make their truck run. Pretty stupid to let this thing sit on a shelf like a shrine and use it for conversation piece:D Hope it's not the coil though, they're only $22, I bet removing one of this gonna be a B***CH. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts