• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New xt with new walbro 990 carb

ironlion1973

I just got my new rampage xt and bought some hop ups with it. I never used the stock carb swapped it out immediately. Myproblem is when I go to break the carb walbro 990lever push's to far back and stalls/kills the truck. I tryed adjusting the levers but nothing if it moves 4 mm it turns off like a kill switch.....any ideas thanks in advance

designed2survive

Adjust the idle screw. Turn it clockwise. It will stop the throttle from completely closing when you brake.

Ice_2k

designed2survive said:
Adjust the idle screw. Turn it clockwise. It will stop the throttle from completely closing when you brake.
+1, I'm pretty sure that's the issue.

ironlion1973

Thanks for the replies...the air filter is not the problem because this only happens when I try to break...I also have the idle screw all the way in ....there is a sweet spot balance when the vehicle breaks. The breaking system is aplied and the carb is closed to idle down the rpm''s but it's closing too much ...it's like 1 or 2 millimeters but that's enough to kill the truck when breaking I'm gonna try to put something on the metal near the adjustment idle pins to prevent it from closing ...like a bumper

thanks in advance

Ice_2k

idle screw tightened all the way in (that's clockwise) should give you really high idle rpm, it doesn't sound right what you're saying

ironlion1973

Thanks all ....I fixed it ..I modified a piece of metal and secured it to the idle adjust screw with a piece hanging over the side to prevent the carb from closing all the way..to the question that way the carb wasn't idling properly I don't know but my method seem to be working thanks for all the advice.

Phill

ironlion1973 said:
Thanks all ....I fixed it ..I modified a piece of metal and secured it to the idle adjust screw with a piece hanging over the side to prevent the carb from closing all the way..to the question that way the carb wasn't idling properly I don't know but my method seem to be working thanks for all the advice.
Did you try adjusting the low speed needle to bring the idle up??

ironlion1973

Hey Phil, ...no I just fabricated a metal shim and secured it to the idle screw then bent the medal down to prevent the carb lever from advancing too for when rpm''s Rev down. ..seems to be working like a charm...my new problem is after I ran a couple of take to break it in I made a rookie mistake and did't check all the screws on the machine and the 2 the hold the dog bones rattle out glad I was going slow lol my error..I posted a little video on YouTube before I ran into the carb issues titled redcat rampage xt wheel adapter

Ice_2k

Sounds like you just swept the problem under the rug instead of finding and fixing the root cause.

Phill

ironlion1973 said:
Hey Phil, ...no I just fabricated a metal shim and secured it to the idle screw then bent the medal down to prevent the carb lever from advancing too for when rpm''s Rev down. ..seems to be working like a charm...my new problem is after I ran a couple of take to break it in I made a rookie mistake and did't check all the screws on the machine and the 2 the hold the dog bones rattle out glad I was going slow lol my error..I posted a little video on YouTube before I ran into the carb issues titled redcat rampage xt wheel adapter
That may have fixed the symptoms but the cause is something else

BertR

Ice_2k said:
Sounds like you just swept the problem under the rug instead of finding and fixing the root cause.
I agree with you Ice.. Now it's a guarantee that the carb is not functioning properly

ironlion1973

Yeah your right it's a temporary fix until I'm able to call the oneil brothers and see if the carb is defective or am I not doing something right I posted 3 rambling rant review on you tube about other issues with the truck like seized ball bearings under red rampage xt ramage rant and review if you can stand my mumbling you can see what I'm talking about

BertR

Hey ironlion... I went over this thread again and watched your rant on YouTube and noticed that there was no mention of the the throttle servo! The servo is holding the throttle valve open untill you aply breaks and it closes the valve because its not holding it open anymore. I will put money on it that if you re adjust your servo and idle screw you will have this issue solved.. My money is on the servo

ironlion1973

Thanks of the advice i'll check out the throttle servo out ..but I'mnot gonna fire the vehicle up till I get the parts I ordered

BertR

Remember to check the linkage slider thats screwed to the servo horn to make sure its not gripping the linkage rod.. All this can be done with only the electronics on.

ironlion1973

Thanks and I will but I'm currently hopping it up with aluminum so rear lowers front lowers new digital throttle servo aluminum roll cage front/rear aluminum shock towers aluminum gear box w/bearing flysky radio kill remote kill switch couple other thing I'm waiting on I'll make a video later

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.