• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

New XT and already lots of rounded off screws

powerslave69

Darin, I know you always welcome feedbacks from all of us Rampers. I got 2. First one is my front lower suspension arm pin of my new XT. I was trying to pull this pin out after loosening the nut by grabbing the other end with the tip of my fingers and suddenly it just broke into small piece of metal.

I thought it was just a fluke or I just didn't know my own strength: D but Billy of RedCat Racing was quick in sending me a replacement as part of my warranty. I borrowed a friend's spare pin so I can drive the truck while waiting for the parts to come in. Your tech support was awesome! I thought it’s worth mentioning this for the rest of our forum members to see and give them confidence that we made the right decision to be a Ramper. Fast service. Thanks! Next were my hex screws. I was applying Loctite to all metal to metal connections on my XT. So far I got quite a few of these screws with rounded off heads. Sure would like to get a replacement for these screws even if I have to pay for them if this not covered by the warranty, I’m not sure if anybody offers a complete screw kit I can buy for my XT. Like I mentioned, just to be certain I’m not doing anything wrong causing this screws to get rounded off, I took it to a professional mechanic(he'd like to buy one too, guess he liked the truck and being in a small town, people are flabbergasted how huge this trucks are. Hey, there goes that word again, 'FLABBERGASTED?" who came up with this stupid word anyway? Sounds like a death sentence for fat people..."FLABBER-GASTED" Wait, I'm getting off topic and derailing this thread: D

Anyway, Darin, I got 2 XTs'. The new one I use for demo to show it to potential buyers, so it's never been abused, sparkling clean and when you receive the screws that is if you want me to send it to you so you guys can examine them. Like I said, I don't mind just buying a replacement off your website. With the money I saved when I chose to get an XT from an eBay seller ($559+$29 shipping) instead of one of those overpriced, "big hole in my pocket, honey, I shrunk our bank account balance" Bajas', paying for these screws would just be a drop in the bucket. A kit preferably if you have them, you'll notice there are no scratches, dirt or scuffs in on any of these screws. Look at these photos showing how cherry this truck is. This truck been pimped to the max to attract customers. The other one I bought used and I use this for bashing and to demonstrate to my buyers what this can do. I still need to inspect this XT to see if it has the same issues. It would be so awesome if you have a complete screw kit for the XT like the one you can buy for the 5B and even Team Fast Eddy carries a complete professional bearing kit replacement for the 5B to replace even the bushings on the 5B. Do we have any bushing in these trucks. Would be nice to know we have stuff like this for our Ramps and purchase them anytime: rolleyes:

I've been searching the net to find ways to remove these hex screws with a rounded off head. Any tip or trick you guys don’t mind sharing to solve this problem that would be great. But I thought I shouldn't even been dealing with this kind of problem in the first place, not yet anyway, since it's barely a month old, never bashed and I cover the whole bottom of the chassis with duct tape before every run to avoid damaging those screws and to also make it look clean for my buyers to see and encourage them to buy. But they got rounded off anyway just by trying to unscrew them to apply Loctite. Just one more suggestions Darin, if you’re not bored yet reading this post, and I know I'm probably speaking for some of the guys here who are not as mechanically inclined as Rob and DemonRC. I never miss reading these guys posts as they very knowledgeable when it comes to working on Ramps, or probably any 5th scale for that matter. I’m talking about an instruction manual like the 5B has when you buy the kit version which shows you step by step on how to put everything together. I read the instruction manual from start to finish and it was very clear, easy to follow and left nothing to chance. This would be awesome for someone like me just to make sure when I put everything back after repair that I won't end up with few extra screws and to be confident parts were installed correctly. Team Fast Eddy even made a video tutorial version of this manual and walkthrough showing how to assemble everything down to the last tinniest screw that even a 2 yr. old would be able assemble one of these buggies. I know my used XT will break down one of these days, not a question of "if" but "when" I don't mind paying for a manual like this. Thanks Darin for reading this long post! :D

This is my demo XT. Check out how clean this puppy is and yet this is the same truck with a lot of rounded off hex screws :(

http://s1094.photobucket.com/albums/i457/RCMudSlut/

Triggerman77

Contributor
Yea the screws are not the Best Quality I have a bunch rounded off just from pulling out and putting a drop of loctite and back in right out of the Box. Im gonna eventually buy a High Quality SS screw kit for my XT and MT

DemonRC

I have a TORX bit that fits prefectly inside a 3mm hex. I just hammer it in a stripped hex and then put my screwdriver on the bit and unscrew it.

Also, I would recommend purchasing bolts from a industrial supply like McMaster (http://www.mcmaster.com). You can pick up 50 and 100 packs of metric hex screws that we use for around $4-6$ per pack of 50 or 100. I spent about $50 and have enough screws for a half dozen cars.

One last thing. Invest in a good hex driver set. It will extend the lifespan of your hex heads 10 fold. I have the Integy set (don't flame me) that I picked up for $49 5 years ago. They are really nice. I've unscrewed bolts from friends cars after they stripped them with standard allens.

csp1971

Contributor
Honestly, I took mine apart when I first bought it. Some of the screws were terribly frozen. Whenever this happens, I heat up a solder gun and hold it on the screw head for a minute or two. Works great. It helps to break/melt the loctite. I have stripped out the heads on other rc's in the past. When this happens, I try to slot it with a Dremel cutting wheel or drill until the head comes off. Then use some vice grips to get the threaded part out. I've had this happen on my Baja, my Firehammer, and my MT. And the Torx idea works GREAT Demon, I used that once in the field when I had nothing else.

Last edited by a moderator:

powerslave69

thanks guys

I will try all your suggestions and ideas and buy the screw set too. Just hate the idea of dealing with thiis issue with an almost new truck. You guys saw the photos. That XT is so cherry. I wouldn't mine fixing it if there was a lot of abuse and bashing that went on with that truck.

forist

Contributor
I just go to the local hardware store (Truevalue hardware) they have rly nice screws there and don't have to wait for shipping. I also use a set of Integy drivers no more probs now with any of the screws, and i can get them much tighter putting them back in.

Triggerman77

Contributor
I have lefty drill bits. and also have a set of Craftsman Screw extractor set That work Great. And thanks i have i TrueValue hardware 5 min away :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts