• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

new REDCAT 2.4 radio 3ch for XB going down

phreerider

after a i got the motor run-in finished and smartly tuned with over and about 2 gallons throught it, and got Lipo Rx rec. pack AND NiMH pack cycling runs with no problems...glitched to death...

fresh charge lipo or nimh AND fresh tranmitter batteries ....walk about 20-30feet away and signal drops ....seems weak transmitter. very predictable and repeatable....transmitter??? Rx???

i had planned on upgrading the servos and radio system , but this seems a little early...within 30 hours of operation.

anyway recommendations on radio...i've experience with futaba with 20 years of service in the air...seems to be alot new stuff about. the 2.4GHz stuff? is this a good direction.

rookie101

Futaba is probably the best all around ground radio in my opinion. Ease of use and great range, I've also had great luck with my Airtronics MT4. The only radio thats given me any grief was my Spektrum DX3S. I know people that have had great luck with them, but the range on mine was terrible!

If you're a little more budget conscious you can go with the FlySky GT3B. For the price it can't be beat and the $6 Hobby King RXs work perfect with it!

G

anyway recommendations on radio...i've experience with futaba with 20 years of service in the air...seems to be alot new stuff about. the 2.4GHz stuff? is this a good direction.]
Futaba is great. I use the 4PKS

G

walk about 20-30feet away and signal drops ....seems weak transmitter. very predictable and repeatable....transmitter??? Rx???
You may have a broken antenna wire inside the receiver. The stock radio is a rebadged Flysky. They normally have great range.

phreerider

RCDAD said:
You may have a broken antenna wire inside the receiver. The stock radio is a rebadged Flysky. They normally have great range.
my thoughts as well. gonna shop around a bit, may pick up a new RX, and a premium radio unit as well. transmitters always seemed simple and bullet proof, Rx get the rough end.

just got the motor peaking real nice and into synthetic mix too. oh well part of the game.

thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

phreerider

andyken said:
Also the stock spark plug sucks for the radio interference
fully removed, and isolated. RX +battery only, Tx ON and repeatable (out of unit) ...running NGK glitch free for solid 30hrs. dropped the stock plug after break in.

phreerider

thanks guys , hobby king! wow crazy low $.

G

They also have a rebadged receiver that is compatible with the stock Redcat transmitter.

G

This would be the one.

Cca

The spectrum dx3s I would not use if one was given to you. The dx4s has seemed to be fine so far. Or just eliminate all spectrum rx/tx and look at futaba system as their seems to be a solid system. The fly sky gt3b I had no luck with when I gave them a try? Electric wise they work great Imo for the money.

samsung galaxy note 2

phreerider

already ordered, + got a Turnigy 3XS FHSS 2.4GHz 3 Ch for old 1/10scale nitro unit. seemed like decent unit with EPA and low AA battery needs.

phreerider

Cca said:
The spectrum dx3s I would not use if one was given to you. The dx4s has seemed to be fine so far. Or just eliminate all spectrum rx/tx and look at futaba system as their seems to be a solid system. The fly sky gt3b I had no luck with when I gave them a try? Electric wise they work great Imo for the money. samsung galaxy note 2
still shopping for Futaba for replacement in XB.. but the low buck quick fix is hard to resist..."buy design"

billymare

RCDAD said:
I've had 2 of the redcat recievers fail with a broken antenna inside...

had same problem...

phreerider

i opened the Rx on the redcat3ch. the antenna was frayed but still connected. not sure exactly the signal needs for reception but apparently fragile to a point. other components maybe Fx'd but for $6 its hardly worth turning the screws and soldering. i know i will attempt to fix it, but need to stock up on more junk to break... 3 deep on back up kinda is the way sessions keep rollin'

phreerider

with some upgrades in "processing"( knocking the big hobby houses business practices) . i want to be sure about a few things esp. voltage in systems. old school stuff radio/rx battery/ servos where packaged together and for the most part thats how it was done , now all seems very a la carte...and with the advent of Lipos, dig.ESC etc. which i have 7.4v for my rx/servo to power in my XB, and also use the stock 6v.

Are most Rx's and servos tolerant of HV or am i just shortening their life span for performance? i do see some "HV" servos (esp. hi torque) that are quite specific about lipo tolerance.

if my 7.4 fries my RX, and eventually my servos, i would commit to it the proper gear or just use the 6v set up alone. getting the 7.4v lipo was a bit premature as i see it now, but i know theres a difference so...so far i have been cycling sessions on both 7.4/6v with good run times ...not complaining just would like some reference to make better choices and obviously the gear has limits of which i really can't find usable references other than experience which is a great educator but can be pricey and can spoil alot of funtime WHICH CANNOT BE REPLACED ...love tinkering but rather be rolling or flying.

G

Most of the new RXs do just fine with a 2s lipo (7.4 + volts). Even when rated for 6v

The servos need to be rated for HV or they can be short lived.

For the electric cars the ESCs and motors are all rated for specific voltage ranges. They will be damaged if used outside their parameters.

phreerider

Hitec HS-5685MH High Voltage High Torque Metal Gear Dual BB for throt/brake.

...and for the steering Hitec HS-5765MH Digital High Torque High Voltage Metal Gear Giant, Triple BB

and Futaba pk something TxRX

using both Lipo 7.4 2S and 6V Nimh

thanks for the advice these are my choices.. do you agree?

G

Yep.

Those are the servos I run. I've had great luck with them.

I use the 4pks and never had any receiver issues.

The remote kill switches also have no issues running with 2s lipos.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts