• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Need some info on parts

chevyderek72

If you guys havent seen it in the inro section, i just bought a dune runner roller. Ive got an idea what i wanna do with some parts, but i wanna make sure im getting the right things. I know nitro and electric but the gas is pretty new to me. Ive got a lot of questions so hopefully you guys can help me out.

Im thinking of going with this motor http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/it.A/id.4519/.f should i run the stock clutch spring or go with the ddm 7500 or the hpi 8000. How much of a difference is there?

Ive read a lot of people go with the hpi filter, what do i need to mount it on? And what about a uni filter. And whats a velocity stack do exactly? Could i get suggestions and links?

http://www.rckillswitch.com/products/products/killswitch.php The #2 kit says it will kill the motor if you turn the transmitter off, i was hoping to use the redcat 2.4ghz radio and when/if i have to shut the motor down just turn the radio off. Is there any way to do this? I was thinking either get a splitter, and run a servo and the killswitch on the same channel, or plug it into the 3rd channel/bind slot. Is that possible or do you have to run a 3rd channel radio?

For servos, what a good inexpensive servo? Im not doing anything crazy and not being rich i'd like to get up and running without anything super expensive, and i could always upgrade down the road. I was thinking http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/it.A/id.2551/.f that for throttle, and http://shopping.netsuite.com/s.nl/c.885035/it.A/id.2552/.f that for steering. I just realized that it has nylon gears, not metal, is it that big of a deal, especially since im turning skinny tires?

Thats it for now, ive got lots more but those are the main ones. Like i said im not looking to have a super sick rig, i just wanna get up and running, have fun for a while then upgrade to better stuff as i go. Thanks guys :)

Sprint 77

Contributor
Servos I would go 5745 Hitec for steering. and get yourself a digital water resistant Traxxas servo like on steering of Slash truck for throttle. They are made by Futaba and a good servo cheap.

All you need for Hpi filter is on Rob's site www.rampagehopups.com

Motor I would put a 36 bore on a 23 cc pull off motor and you will have your 29 cc cheaper.

Go with the HPI red spring 8000 RPM

There just saved you about $200 from what you mentioned now get a good pipe with the savings and have fun.

flint mann

For an engine I would go with a stock 26cc, I run that on both my 2X4 and 4X4 DuneRunners, and a good starter pipe like an HPI tuned pipe. I run the 8k spring but I run it backwards so it is about the same as a 6 or 7k spring. An 8k spring will help stop bogging at takeoff seeing it engages at a higher rpm. The HPI filter is the way to go I have seen where others have had problems with dirt getting in using other filters. Look in for sale sections of this and Rob's other forums. You could probably pick up an engine fairly reasonably. I second Sprint's recommendation on the servos I run that combo on my TT5, works well. With a 2 channel radio you will have to use a fail safe the kill switches need to be hooked to your 3rd channel as far as I know.

Last edited by a moderator:

chevyderek72

Well my gf ended up buying be that 28.9 cc motor as a christmas present, but i get it early haha. Ill grab the hpi filter and either the ddm or hpi spring for clutch. Seeing as its 2wd i don't wanna have it engage too high and just be spinnin the tires.

I have a traxxas #2056 servo, should i use that or go with a metal geared servo?

Will the hpi tuned pipe bolt right on? That would be sweet cause im lookin for a rear mount pipe thats kinda outa the way. Since it doesn't run a shell like the mt and tt i don't wanna have a huge pipe sittin up top. I was thinking one like this if it would fit http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.885035/n.1/it.A/id.5643/.f Out of the way and in the rear. Some posted on it but im not sure if it fits or not.

So like i said my gf got me that motor, well it has some scuffs on the clutch shoes, and the spring has the metal flaking off, like its been used. Whats up with that. Do they test them before they send em out, or did i get something used?

Sprint 77

Contributor
Don't get the above pipe use the HPI SS the above link that pipe is gutless. The RD Logics is another good one cheaper not a powerhouse but a good all around power and real quiet.

chevyderek72

Alright, i was just giving an example of a tucked away pipe. Does the hpi or rd logics pipe require any mods to put on? Or is it plug and play? So im guessing the hpi gives more power then?

lvh

Well i am running the redcat pipe for now, i want a rear pipe. A lot of guys don't like them, but it's ok for me right now till i choose a rear pipe. O yea it's loud, sounds like a little 80cc dirt bike but i like loud. :D

chevyderek72

Haha, i like loud, wont be running it much near people, just cause thats usually neighborhoods with only on road. I was thinking of going with the redcat one but a lot of people have had problems with them breaking. And i don't wanna have to buy another pipe cause the redcat one broke.

flint mann

chevyderek72 said:
Alright, i was just giving an example of a tucked away pipe. Does the hpi or rd logics pipe require any mods to put on? Or is it plug and play? So im guessing the hpi gives more power then?
The HPI tuned pipe is plug and play I have one on my 4X4. The only thing you have to do is raise the back of the roll cage. Some pics:

7dec0487-1.jpg

7dec0488-1.jpg

7dec0489-1.jpg

7dec0490-1.jpg

chevyderek72

Could you post some pics so i can see how it looks. I think ive seen one, but im not sure if it was it. I want it in the rear cage protected, not sticking up out up top.

Sprint 77

Contributor
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Could you post some pics so i can see how it looks. I think ive seen one, but im not sure if it was it. I want it in the rear cage protected, not sticking up out up top.

Protected by what a Plastic roll cage come on man what good is that going to do you on a 25 lb. car at 30 + MPH.

Get some 4130 on that thing

chevyderek72

Ya i mean i don't expect it to be completely protected. But i don't like it sticking out the top, where if i rolled over it would bend or break. I like those pipes though. What did you use to lift the cage? doesn't it push the cage forward? Does it mess with its structural integrity? Do you have the pipe supported?

bbuzzard

Contributor
flint mann said:
The HPI tuned pipe is plug and play I have one on my 4X4. The only thing you have to do is raise the back of the roll cage.
That looks like what I'm gonna do!! What did you use to raise the roll cage?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts