• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

need help belt drive installation

reefertech

Hello, hoping somebody can help me, I purchased a V5 1:1 belt from ebay. Seller is from Germany (Stern-cnc) my idler shaft is too short and clutch bell shaft barely has any threads to use the nyloc nut. It said for use with redcat so i did foresee any issues. Do i need to order additional parts or request a different version, thanks.

My current setup is on Rampage MT pro 4 pin gears with aluminum gear plate

Ildy666

U have to change ur lay shaft to the old style square drive.shafts are longer.

When I had one I bought it from rcdad and he had the kit for the belt drive setup

Forgot the part numbers but it's the old square style...

reefertech

I also found that the clutch bell shaft wasn't long enough, and it also didn't have any flat spots for the grub screw to catch.

I tore my chimera apart and it was the old style, when I tried to swap everything over to the mt aluminum plate it didnt fit, old style clutch bell shaft fit the inside bearing fine but pushed the outer bearing out as it had a smaller inner diameter than the shaft. bearings from the plastic gear plate are smaller O.D. on the outer bell bearing. out of frustration I installed it on the chimera, but I still want one for the Mt with the Aluminum Plate. does anybody know what bell and bearing combination will work with aluminum? I'm only seeing that everybody changed out 2 shafts, but nothing about the bell shaft.

Phill

reefertech said:
I also found that the clutch bell shaft wasn't long enough, and it also didn't have any flat spots for the grub screw to catch. I tore my chimera apart and it was the old style, when I tried to swap everything over to the mt aluminum plate it didnt fit, old style clutch bell shaft fit the inside bearing fine but pushed the outer bearing out as it had a smaller inner diameter than the shaft. bearings from the plastic gear plate are smaller O.D. on the outer bell bearing. out of frustration I installed it on the chimera, but I still want one for the Mt with the Aluminum Plate. does anybody know what bell and bearing combination will work with aluminum? I'm only seeing that everybody changed out 2 shafts, but nothing about the bell shaft.
Unfortunately you can't swap bells between the 2 different styles of plate

I'd be interested to know what you think of the belt drive as I also use the pin gears.

reefertech

Running the belt drive on the Chimera, so far so good. smooth quiet acceleration. I may consider getting the square drive Aluminum plate and shafts for the MT, because thats what I really wanted it for in the first place.

Ice_2k

Are you getting any benefits other than quieter running?

reefertech

Ice_2k said:
So why did you buy it?
Didnt like the clinging of the gears, can hear it with stock pipe anyways

Plus I figured the belt will out last the metal gears.

And not that it's a big issue, the overall weight alot lighter

Less rotating mass when accelerating & braking.

Plus it comes with a clear cover for the (cool) factor

Overall Im happy with it

Ice_2k

What about it doesn't work with the 4 pin design? I never considered the belt drive because I wanted to get a 2- speed but with DemonRC apparently not selling them anymore, who knows....

Ice_2k

reef said it doesn't come with a plate and that it only works with square drive design

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts