• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT wheels keep falling off

laganm21

I am having a problem with my wheel pin coming out, I have put blue lock tight on the grub screw in the hubs, but still they work loose. i am not loseing the grub screw just the pin, i have been using a 5/32 drill bit to replace the pins, the 2 i have used drill bits in seem to be holding up.

Is there a quick fix to this.

hamster huey

Are you talking about the pin that should be held in with a set screw in the very center of the axle? If so and the set screw is not holding the pin you can try grinding a small flat spot on the pin for the set screw to grab. Hold on Ill draw a picture and you tell me if its what you mean.

hamster huey

Sorry for the double post. Here is your pic. I think thats what you mean.

Set screw pin.JPG

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058cfdc5_Setscrewpin.JPG.82b1b0b1e6de1fc9fdc29985b3dd2438.JPG

laganm21

Yeah that excatly what im talking about, i was just thinking of doing that today when the outher wheel fell off, how deep do i need to make the notch, also well the 5/32 drill bit shaft hold up for a wheel pin or do i need to get the stock one, to me it seems like the drill bit shaft would be stronger

hamster huey

I used my dremel cut off wheel to make a small flat spot. Maybe 1mm or less. Light grinding. Small spot. Not deep. I don't know about the drill bit. If you want to try the drill bit too I would be interested in the results.

jigawatt

out of curiosity... do you have the "upgrade" kit? stocker has a small set screw compared to the parts you'd use from the upgrade kit. With the parts included in the upgrade kit, even without the flat spot, I haven't had problems! Shoot, the stockers must have been so loose that they fell out from the factory because my buggy sure didn't come with any!

kryptonite

ya. i remeber you saying that yours didnt have any set screws.. both of my V1 rigs(mt/tt) came with setscrews and they were loc-tite in.

kryptonite

catchaser said:
I'm running the upgrade kit with no flat spot and haven't had a problem yet.
what do you mean "upgrade" just wondering how the axel cups are upgraded. i use them as spares.. :eek:

laganm21

Yes i have the upgrade kit, and i put a lot of lock tight (BLUE) in the grub screw and the pins still falll out, as kryptonite sayed i have the old axle cups in my tool box i carry with me when i run in case one breaks,will the stock ones not work as spares?

DemonRC

kryptonite said:
what do you mean "upgrade" just wondering how the axel cups are upgraded. i use them as spares.. :eek:
I dunno I just installed what came with the upgrade. I didn't even bother to look to see if they were different.

Clubin

Banned
mooman007uk said:
the grub screw that holds the pin is bigger is all..otherwise they're identical.
I flat spotted all my pins for my redcat adapters and use VP hpi adapters with oring retainers when running my 5b sized wheels
Nice avitar mooman! I ground flat spots on mine too I am still running the stock outdrives. I blue loctited them and let it dry overnite. Works good.

DemonRC

mooman007uk said:
the grub screw that holds the pin is bigger is all..otherwise they're identical.
I flat spotted all my pins for my redcat adapters and use VP hpi adapters with oring retainers when running my 5b sized wheels
Ahh the grub screw is bigger. Good info.

laganm21

Well i grinded a flat spot in all the wheel pins and cleaned all the treads in the axial and the set screw re lock tight and let dry, then ran 2 tanks and i was not chasing any wheels so it worked, also i did not want to wate for my new pins to come in after losing all on them, so i went to ace hardware and got a 5/32 trailer hitch pin clip (look like a Big body clip) and just cut the part that straight so for a 1$ i made 6 wheel pins and they work great, so just throwing an idea out there to keep in mind if ya lose one

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online