• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

MT trouble throttling/moving

Rc-Rookie

Ok so I am still new to not only 5th scale but to RC cars/trucks in general. I just purchased a XT and a MT both at the same time. I decided to upgrade the MT first and I've done ALOT to it already and been working on it for the past 2 weeks upgrading on it. I just now finished and decided to start it up but when I do it feels like its struggling to start moving and spinning the wheels. My XT as soon as I touch the gas it wants to get up and go. Now I have replaced all the servos in the MT I also upgraded to a clutch with performance shoes and the 8k spring is there anyway I could have the clutch on "TO" tight? or I have something to tight to where it has to rev pretty high to move? I have to give it about half throttle for the truck to start to move.

Ebb75

Did you put the washers on back on the clutch bolts correctly. I believe the flat washer goes on the inside and the spring washer on the outside.

Rc-Rookie

I believe I did I guess it wont hurt to check. I didn't run the truck because I don't want to break anything and I can just tell something is not right.

Ebb75

Sure double check the clutch. Something must be holding it back, mine is pretty snappy with the 8k clutch. Do you have a choke? is it open all the way, is the carb tuned. Does the drive line turn farely good by hand with the wheels off the ground, you should see the clutch bell spinning when you turn the wheels by hand.

Ebb75

Dreggsta said:
could you of overtightened a nut? i know if you over tighten the b/c gear shaft for example, it will be a lil more sluggish.
Good call. make sure they spin easily when your tightening them. if they are over tightened you will feel resistance. But at the same time you don't want the gears moving in and out from being to loose.

Rc-Rookie

I have the stock gears that come on the MT I did take all the gears off trying to get to the clutch at first then I realized I had to pull the whole motor to get it off. I do have a choke as the stock carb is on this still. I have the Walbro modified 990 carb but I wasn't going to put it on until I broke in the engine. Do I need to tune the stock carb as well? because if I need to tune my stock carb anyways then I'll just toss on the 990 now.

Rc-Rookie

I just pulled the clutch off the spring washer is on the outside and the flat washer is on the inside.

G

Rc-Rookie said:
I just pulled the clutch off the spring washer is on the outside and the flat washer is on the inside.
That's backwards. Also use Loctite on those bolts and do not over tighten. If you pinch the clutch shoes they will bind.

Ebb75

Rc-Rookie said:
OK, as RCGasser said don't over tighten the gears b and c. And yes the stock carb should be checked for correct tune. I would just throw on the 990 now and save yourself the hassle. I have heard the stock carbs don't always hold there tune. I put on a 813 from new and the DDM Dom pipe and broke it in. Installed the 8k clutch after brake in. Not sure if it matters but i wanted it engaging at lower rpms for break in.

G

If you have the 4pin gears you won't have the binding issue by over tightening. It is the square drive gears that has issues with the binding.

Rc-Rookie

The manual shows 25002 the spring bent looking washer up by the head of the bolt and 25005 the flat washer behind the clutch. But im in a tight spot now anyways while taking off the clutch the bolt snapped I got spare bolts but don't know if im going to be able to get that half of bolt out or If im going to have to order a new clutch connector 25007

Rc-Rookie

How do you get the clutch connector off I loosened the bolt but once real loose it just spins is the clutch connector pressed on or anything? Am I going to need to get a puller?

Ebb75

Rc-Rookie said:
The manual shows 25002 the spring bent looking washer up by the head of the bolt and 25005 the flat washer behind the clutch. But im in a tight spot now anyways while taking off the clutch the bolt snapped I got spare bolts but don't know if im going to be able to get that half of bolt out or If im going to have to order a new clutch connector 25007
Yup thats correct, flat washer on inside, spring washer on outside.

G

The washers shouldn't really cause an issue. You need to make sure the spring washer does not get flattened. The shoes need to be able to move freely.

Rc-Rookie

By 4 pin gears you mean each gear has 4 holes in the middle and each hole has a little pin right? if so then yeah I have the 4 pin gears but like I said I snapped a bolt in the clutch connector so Im in a pickle and can't get the clutch connector off

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts