• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

motor temperature

kbreaux100

i think i may be running a little hot. i cant find information on the heat range of these motors.does anyone know what the heat range is and the best place to take a temperature reading? also, are these motors like nitros? can you use your temp readings to evaluate your tuning?

BertR

most tuning is done with ear,performance and plug color! Most temp sensitive is during break in and heat cycles during head torquing.

kbreaux100

i don't think so.im at 1 1/8 on the low and 1 3/8 on the high.im at 4800 ft. above sea level,and from what i hear the thinner air makes you run richer,so i shouldnt be lean

Chief409

Looking at the plug, light brown to tan colored insulator. Using the TQi temp sensor positioned just above the exhaust port, I've found that a reading around 280 degrees gives that lean condition. I don't run really lean, just close to peak.

kbreaux100

good to know about the 280. ive also put red locktte on my exhaust screws cuz they keep rattling out and the locktite is rated for 320f.didnt know if it would hold at the engine temps,but i think i should be good knowing that a lean motor is only 280

Stumpdiggitty

Ive wondered about the temps as well. Im by no means lean, and i do know how to tune. My issue lies with setting up my temp alarm on my telemety radio. What would be a good temp to set the temp alarm at? Im running a different engine tho so i freak out when it gets to 170 lol. Figure now i know ill be more than safe if i set it to 200.

Chief409

kbreaux100 said:
good to know about the 280. ive also put red locktte on my exhaust screws cuz they keep rattling out and the locktite is rated for 320f.didnt know if it would hold at the engine temps,but i think i should be good knowing that a lean motor is only 280
Are you using a torque wrench on the exhaust header screws. Torque is 65 in/lbs. Shouldn't need Loctite.

I need to change the screws for my VRC pipe. Both are hex head, and with the bend of the header the only way to tighten the right screw is to use Vice grips. Can't get the needed torque, and get exhaust leaks there. Need to go to a bolt.

kbreaux100

no i havent used a torque wrench,but the red locktite is seaming to hold up fine.i went out today and took readings at the exhaust xport on my x can,and it was in the 350f range.this seams extremely high but im running rich! maybe the exhaust gets hotter than the actual engine? i hope so cuz that temp is scaring me.i tried to even run about a 16th richer on my low but it didnt help.i am wondering if something is wrong with my engine.i checked for air leaks so i know that isnt it,ive checked plug and it is a medium light brown,and the engine seams to run great

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts