• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

motor choice....

bigfol

Looks good,although you might want to consider turning that esc around(180deg) and shorten up all that wiring, the shorter the better, less load and current loss, also reduces ripple current if the power wires are as short as possible...... ;) So
mething like this:

Last edited by a moderator:

twissted

Banned
Wow

That looks awsome! I want to race you! I have a hot rod as well! Post a video doing a 100 meter dash. I'll do the same and see how long it takes.

Knuckles

Hey guys, I run a mamba xl2 with cap set, bec pro, and a leopard 5698 with 48t steel spur and 9t pinion. Batteries are max amps 8s 9000mah and 5000mah kershaw batteries. I have noticed there is hesitation on take off every now and then, but I cant figure it out. Any suggestions would help. I bought a kershaw mount but never used it, thought 7075 mount was better.

bigfol

First thing to do and I feel this a must before running any newly fitted motor,perform the motor KV test within the esc functions(CC XL2 ONLY),(it set up and delivered so much more torque to my motor) then set the torque settings to 10, then try bumping the timming up to 5 and adjust the the start power to high, then stand back and give it a rip, let us know how it goes......I reckon you'll be impressed......

strykerpilot66

Guys,

Dan @ Kershaw told me he tried a 5698 in an XBE and found that it made it really front-heavy, swinging the rear end around easily, and he thought the 2028 would be even worse (obviously)...Have any of you found the CG change to cause any steering issue that you couldn't resolve by adjusting shocks?

strykerpilot66

Knuckles, that may be a timing setting on the XL2...I moved up my timing and had occasional stutter starts, sometimes I would have to shove it from the rear with my foot to get it going. Of course I found the solution here, to dial back the timing until it goes away.

bigfol

strykerpilot66 said:
Guys, Dan @ Kershaw told me he tried a 5698 in an XBE and found that it made it really front-heavy, swinging the rear end around easily, and he thought the 2028 would be even worse (obviously)...Have any of you found the CG change to cause any steering issue that you couldn't resolve by adjusting shocks?
Yes your right the extra weight in the front is not great, If I could find a lighter motor that would be a bonus, you can only dampen out so much with the shocks, I have moved mine into the inside mounting holes and replaced the oil with 70 weight oil all around and screwed down the pre-load to around 4-5 threads showing.You can still throw the rear end out with a burst of the throttle.....

twissted

Banned
What you need to do is install a motor that hobbyking sells. Its a blue can and the can size is 44cm 77cm. the kv is 1600. use the stock esc and buy the cooling fan that fits this motor that they sell as well. It will be fast. And it can handle the watts (4500) up to 32v!

bigblkblazin

Are you talking about KB45-08XL 1600kv Brushless Inrunner . if so it's 2 pole motor and runs hotter than satans areshole with a refrigerator strapped to it .

bigblkblazin

I ran one on my rampage conversion . It weighed in at 22 pounds and although it did push the beast it was so hot even the wires coming out of it melted . That motor is more suited for a boat with water cooling . Plus the stupid shaft is 6mm.

Wcubelo23

[ame=

[MEDIA=youtube]ya40zAmu36o[/MEDIA][/ame]

bigblkblazin

Wcubelo23 what gearing are you using with the motor . I had the 15 and the 20 but they don't fit . The gear hits the motor screws . I think I might have to try some flat headed screws .

bigblkblazin

bigblkblazin said:
Wcubelo23 what gearing are you using with the motor . I had the 15 and the 20 but they don't fit . The gear hits the motor screws . I think I might have to try some flat headed screws .
edit : I swapped out the supplied motor screws for some cap heads . The 15 tooth pinion fits like a charm. I think you could only go up a tooth or 2 .I had reservations about the kershaw mount but it is solid . And the motor is cool to touch . God bless 2028.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts