• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

moo's next weakest link is .....

mooman007uk

Banned
Just munched another set of 27/33 MCD gears....pants! . with the diff cups seemingly fixed now I have a+b gears going...2 sets so far and counting... using steel will only put strain in other places. bugger, bugger, bugger:confused:

DSC00437.jpg

Sprint 77

Contributor
Looks like a heat fatigue then chewed failure to me. You making quite a few high speed runs when it went?

My aluminum gear cover with a 1" ducted hole in it will help cool them. I plan on trying it out at Diggers Dungeon.

Rammer

DANG , It looks like they melted ....!!!!!!! Are you running it hard , trying to

beat it up .... ??? That makes me want to try to fill , the gear cover ,with oil !! To try to prevent that ......???? I don't think grease will work anymore ??

Rammer

How about some cut outs , with a dremel tool .Then plastic canvas , epoxiedto cover large holes ?????

plastic-canvas 005.jpg

/monthly_2009_04/583c6057a637f_plastic-canvas005.jpg.c14f4390e1aeadd383458b13f6ad3695.jpg

Rammer

I have had that happen to my SAVAGE , because gear mesh was to tight..

Set gear lash with some notebook paper , didn't happen again .....Also put metal main gear in ......

Last edited by a moderator:

Piranha2

Contributor
I noticed that when I installed my 27/33 combo they were real hot after a few minutes, went back to the stock set-up (25/35) and everything is fine.....for now.

mooman007uk

Banned
Rammer said:
DANG , It looks like they melted ....!!!!!!! Are you running it hard , trying to
beat it up .... ??? That makes me want to try to fill , the gear cover ,with oil !! To try to prevent that ......???? I don't think grease will work anymore ??
I always try to kill it, just the way i drive....thrash the bollocks off it:D

Everything was working fine for 10mins then nailed it out a corner and rev city with no forward go. I got the 25/35 back on and will try that to see if i can munch those. There is no bind...my MT will freewheel on it's own down a slight incline.

mooman007uk

Banned
just been out for a really good run, truck just soaking it up, running 25/35's, running in dusty clay kinda sandy stuff and it hits the pipe instantly ...great fun for 25mins and then ....bugger....chewed the a ad b again. But i think i've figured it out...gears weren't hot, they melt when it starts stripping...every time this has happened it's spinning around and when i nail it they go...what I think it might be is a rock/stone getting jammed in the back wheel and spinning the truck round, i nail it with a jammed wheel and it strips...it was definitely a rock today so i'm hoping that it was the other times too. i might just get steel mcd gears if becomes a regular thing

DSC00441.jpg

DSC00440.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cable97526

:eek:Does anyone else see that it looks like horrid gear mesh? Hey Moo how much slop is in you A/B gears when new? it looks like quite a gap from the pics, even after you munch them there are bits of teeth still there like they only engage at about halfway which would be as sloppy as a fisted midget! :eek:

mooman007uk

Banned
as sloppy as a fisted midget!
That's good humour:D

The gears are a tight mesh, it looks to me like a tooth broke on A when i got a stone jammed in the rear wheel and then it just stripped down like a good un' when i punched the throttle, A stripped to the bottom of the broken tooth and just skimmed B. My drivetrainis meshed and shimmed to 99% of spot on. Since the diff cup weak link has been fixed now A and B are the weak link when you have a bit of extra engine horsies:rolleyes: My next outing will be in sand with no stones so I'll see if i can still strip them.

I'm all over 27/33 and 29/31 steel gears...Rob says the factory is bringing some out soon

DemonRC

That's great news! Once those are on the market I'll be selling my backup Baja.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts