• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

maverick blackout engine

tonygoole1

Hi guys I'm having problems starting my engine. There seems to be a lot of compression when I try to start. It's causing my pull start to jam up or slip. It's like it's flooded.

If I slacken my plug quite a bit it's easier to pull. But a pain to start.

Could it be constantly flooding? If so how can I stop that happening.

Any ideas what the problem is ?

Silent_chaos

Unplug spark plug.

Clean it. Make sure its dry.

Then flip your car upside down, the chassis facing the sky (spark plug is still unplugged), and pull the pull start till all gas is leaked and is out of the engine. ( 20 pulls)

This is because your engine is flooded.

Plug in your spark plug.

Close both your carb screws clockwise till the end.

Start openning the right needle (low rpm needle) to 1 1/8 turn and your left needle (high rpm) 1 1/2 needle.

Prime your carb and pull that pull start again.

Note that if you're running stock carb (wt-668) you need to start it with the choke openning and closing routine.

Silent_chaos

Spark plug needs to always be tight. If it's jamming, it means it's flooded. You always needs to unflood it by doing the above.

Usually engines have bad time starting or floodding because of carb mistuning (mostly since the low needle is sucking in too much fuel) and/or bad idle screw tuning (the big one found under the carb screws)

Too much air coming in and it will run lean and your engine will scream. Rpm will be high.

Too much fuel and your engine will choke and bog down and eventually turn off. Rpm will be low.

Note that carb upgrades such as wt990 or wt998 are without chokes. 5-6 pull starts will make your engine run.

Last edited by a moderator:

tonygoole1

Thanks everyone. Will give it a go. It's been stood for 3 or 4 months. But with plug out everything is perfect. So I'm guessing flooded as well.

Many thanks

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts