• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Lightest Rampage In The World Project

hamster huey

This Rampage weighs 25 pounds and .6 ounces-25.03lbs (rouning up thats 25.1lbs)and I know I can get it down to 24! Thats the weight of some 2wds! Im naming this Rampage P2W for power to weight. The background on the vehicle: its my oldest. I sold my first, bought this one new, and transferred the best parts over. This is durable to boot. I have not changed anything that would make it weaker. The weight loss also means during a crash the vehicle has less energy to dissipate which also adds durability! Cornering abilities improved, acceleration, imporved, wear and tear went down, fuel use went down, and its so much fun! It feels more like an electric or a nitro now its so much more responsive! Power to weight is how the project idea started. The hard part was deciding between my sprint77 vetpro v3 and 5bss pipe. The v3 hauled all through the poer band but the 5bss was slightly less powerful on the low end but it enabled me to shed over a pound which evened the acceleration back up. On a heavier car I choose the sprint77 jetpro v3 though.

This started as a MT V1

The weight savings:vented clutch bell, lightened chassis, bowtie F and R combo, 5bss pipe, dunerunner front tower/bumper/camber links/shock shafts, no body/wing/posts, no gear cover, 813 carb, dunerunner rear bumper, single steering servo,

Misc mods: v2 gearplate w/metal bell insert, dunerunner rear tower, killswitch, 2.4ghz, swapped 29/31, v1 dogbone leashes, outerwears pullstart, outerwears prefilter, shreadstack

Mods for power: HPI filter, Zrc carb manifold, 813 carb, 27.2 stuffed stroker race ported ONB, lightened/relieved piston, 8k clutch spring, cage risers

Future mods: lightend flywheel, ultra light clutch, aluminum screws (esp. beadlocks), remove material any where possible, run front bowtie rims/tires on the rear also, lifepo4

I think thats the whole build. Let me know if you see something I missed. Anyone else have any ideas?

Last edited by a moderator:

Martin

This is just my opinion, but I think this is the way to go, you said it well: ***The weight loss also means during a crash the vehicle has less energy to dissipate which also adds durability! etc....***

Next step to mine for weight reduction is a carbon fiber chassis.

Obeast44

Banned
I like that Dunerunne rear shock tower on there, that would open up all kinds of room in the back for a pipe. Good work HH, thats a light Rampage for sure!

hamster huey

I thought about doing a carbon fiber chassis but I cant figure out how to make the front kickup. It would be easy to measure the angle but how to tranfer it to the CF chassis I don't know. Thats a really cool thought though getting it below 24 pounds then losing even more poundage with with a CF chassis. Its really fast now at 25 lbs I cant imagine sub 23!

scaremonger

Brilliant project hamster. i have been trying to lighten my cat up since the beggening. with a new roll cage that installs from shock mount to shock mount, i have removed the rear plate that fits on the diff and also the heavy rods to the chassi. I like the holes on the chassi. How brilliant is that. I noticed how you only drilled holes in the area where no bending will ocure. Even in the front i removed the chassi brace to the servo saver top plate. How did you weight your truck?

hamster huey

Titanium tie rods! I saw them but forgot about them! Definatly checking on that. The roof was one of the pieces I thought I could further remove material from along with the gearplate, radio box and a few other bits and pieces, but now you make me think CF for the roof. I like the idea of a half CF half alum. chassis too. I was thinking of changing the servo and diff plates to CF also. Ill check on that diff plate too, scare. I was wondering about your bracing in your project pics. I wieghed it on a digital shipping scale at a nearby business, very accurate.

Thank you very much for the excellent ideas. :)

Martin

Titanium hinge pin, aluminum post instead of steel for the rear diff plate, aluminum bushing/spacer on the gear plate.............

Edit: how about to replace the steering servo by a smaller high torque servo, something like a JR z9100T, or similar.

hamster huey

Where would I get those hinge pins? I like the idea of a small servo but not sure if it would hold up. I cant beleive I didnt think of the metal tubes that go through the gearplate! Great ideas. Keep them coming, Im out of ideas and need help. I wonder if I do all of your guys ideas I could get it to 23.5 pounds?

Whats that thumbs down mean at the top?

smoedog

Contributor
with the dune runner rear pipe would it be possible to put some baja rear pipes on without serious mods?

Martin

At your local machine shop, local steel supplier, also on ebay search for Titanium round bar, round rod, etc.... there is some different diameter and lenght.

hamster huey

I got a lifepo and was going to switch over to my spare v3 chassis and weigh it with the same build but I havent done it yet. Still driving on the v1 chassis. Maybe this weekend Ill find time. I really don't have anywhere to drive 1/5 gas around here since I moved.

chevy

yeah but i think Hamster got his tt down to 25 and a half and i bet he could shave a few more pounds off that! probably the coolest built i seen..

hamster huey

catchaser said:
Just so you know. The new XT's are going to weigh in around 21-22. I weighed mine today and it came in at 21.8.
It started at 25 punds and 0.6 ounces not .6 pounds, so rounding up from 25.03 it would be 25.1 pounds. Its now about 24.8 w/lifepo but I havent got it back on the scales. Wooo! Wow! Truck or buggy? Ill wait and see when those come out. I love p2w but if the xt's suit a power to weight ratio project better..........

chevy

Hamster I was thinking if you convert it to rear-wheel drive then you could take the front diff and gut it and just bolt the diff case back to the rampage empty no front dogbones either, that ill get you down in weight.

hamster huey

Thats a good idea. I wonder how much that would knock it down to? Im probably going to end up selling it here in a month so Im not going to mess with it until I find out if Im keeping it or not. Im working on a 1/6 brushless that uses the Rampage mt body. If that goes well then I wont need gasoline anymore..........

chevy

so you can use a mt roller with the brushless setup your talking about???

mark '87 930

you wouldn't happen to have any pictures of your vented clutch bell would you? Did you do it yourself or is it something should be purchased?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts