• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

kill switch acting funny

6victor6

Contributor
hamster huey said:
What did you have to set the frame rate to?
Well I had it set to 5.5... Spektrum even has a caution on the framerate window saying "caution : digital servos must be used with 5.5ms"

when I set it to 11ms, the kill switch behaved properly... But I've been reading that 11ms isn't the best way to go for the digital servos... so... kind of a shame that I cant set it up to run the servos at optimum settings just so the kill switch will work..

But I am happy to see the switch work again.

So I'm gonna start a new thread... called "frame rate" hehe

6victor6

Contributor
Sh!t.. I spoke too soon... I can turn the switch on and off with the 3rd channel now, but if I turn of the tx, the kill switch light blinks for a second and turns on again to solid... good grief. Is that what they're supposed to do? Guess a second is enough to kill the engine but doesn't seem right that it is in "go" mode with the tx off.

yolonda21

Contributor
The kill switch you are using is not compatable with your Spektrum radio....I have heard of this before.... :mad:

Obeast44

Banned
Actually man, you figured out it :)

We just got everything narrowed down little by little. Basically it was the framerate, the dx3r has adjustable framerates for Digital/analog servos. The killswitch wasnt recognizing the lower framerate, once Victor upped the framerate to the dx3r default it worked perfectly :)

Obeast44

Banned
6victor6 said:
Sh!t.. I spoke too soon... I can turn the switch on and off with the 3rd channel now, but if I turn of the tx, the kill switch light blinks for a second and turns on again to solid... good grief. Is that what they're supposed to do? Guess a second is enough to kill the engine but doesn't seem right that it is in "go" mode with the tx off.
Reset your failsafe, if that doesn't work reverse the 3rd channel. Mine was doing that on my dx3.0 with my old PBkillswitch.

6victor6

Contributor
Obeast44 said:
Actually man, you figured out it :)
We just got everything narrowed down little by little. Basically it was the framerate, the dx3r has adjustable framerates for Digital/analog servos. The killswitch wasnt recognizing the lower framerate, once Victor upped the framerate to the dx3r default it worked perfectly :)
Yeah but now the kill switch remains on when the tx is off.. If I owned a different radio all together I wonder if this would be happening.

6victor6

Contributor
Tried it again.. rebind, reset the fail safe, servo reversed.... had it working for a few... And it doesn't work again... I really am starting to think that the dx3r just isn't gonna work with this.. And even if I do get it going, well it was originally working and failed for no apparent reason during a run..

Like yolanda21 said.. incompatible.. I'm about to say f#@k it and buy a new radio. This has become more hassle than it's worth.

Thanks to all who tried to help out.

Evildomain

Contributor
That really sucks man...It's really necessary to run a kill switch too. I have no problem

with mine on my DX3. Worked great from day one and I've even had it cut my engine

when I got out of range which was awesome because my truck was headed right for the

highway... :eek:

hamster huey

I was going to guess its the failsafe built into the receiver. You use the pistol to program the failsafe in the receiver. Maybe the failsafe isnt working w/jthe killswitch. Maybe try resetting the RX failsafe to neutral so the Killswitch can hopefully take over and send it to full brake or whatever?

On a whim you might try connecting the killswitch to 1,2channels to see if the steering wheel or trigger will work as as the killswitch as they should if its in ch. 1 or2.

Obeast44

Banned
hamster huey said:
I was going to guess its the failsafe built into the receiver. You use the pistol to program the failsafe in the receiver. Maybe the failsafe isnt working w/jthe killswitch. Maybe try resetting the RX failsafe to neutral so the Killswitch can hopefully take over and send it to full brake or whatever?
On a whim you might try connecting the killswitch to 1,2channels to see if the steering wheel or trigger will work as as the killswitch as they should if its in ch. 1 or2.
Yes we tried all that when I spoke to him, we got it narrowed down to the settings on the TX.

6victor6

Contributor
I figured it out.. I bought a Futaba and it works fine now! :)

I don't know, frame rate issue, dsm2 issue, user error issue, whatever it was it's over..

hamster huey

Woohoo another converted! Down with spektrum! Futaba 2.4 and airtronics fhss2 (not fhss 1) are the way to go. Some people swear by nomadio but they shut down their rc division so will be getting scarce.

Evildomain

Contributor
At some point I'd like to try a Futuba but my budget does not allow it right now

plus I have never had issues with Spektrum's on my heli's or any of my cars/trucks.

I'm talking about at least four different Spektrum systems over the last two years

with many receivers. Maybe I just got lucky?... :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts