• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Just got XT, need help removing gearplate

brio

Hi guys. Need some help. I just got an XT. I was doing the pre-run check and I can't get the plastic gearplate off. Not sure if that's the correct name for the part, but it's the plate where the tranny gears sit and it covers the clutch. I removed the 3 long bolts and the little screws for the cover. I then removed the last gear on the shaft that connects to the center pinion and pulled, pulled pulled, it rocks a little but not coming off. Like its seized on the bearing around the shaft that runs through the brake assembly. The plastic gear plate should just slide off, right? Any suggestions to remove it will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Reason for removal :) . Wanted to check out clutch and possibly change spring to HPI 8k RPM. I heard so many good things about the HPI 8k spring so I figured I'd install it before the trucks maiden run.

Last edited by a moderator:

rcgasser

Also there is 4 screws at the bottom of the plate on the bottom of the car that has to be removed.

rcgasser

It should pull out then it takes a lil sliding and slight pull to get your clutch bell over the clutch shoes.

Last edited by a moderator:

JimmyJay

Also there are 2 bolts on the top of the gear plate (on that brace that holds the throttle servo in place..I believe its part number 07125-Radio Tray).

When I take mine off, I find it easiest to pull the whole assembly out including the drive pinion and brakes...

ImminentFailure

Taking out the engine is a lot easier. You pop out the 3 long bolts going into the engine through the gear plate, and two on the bottom and bam you're out. I was able to leave my gas lines attached while swapping to the HPI shoe/spring. Removing the gear plate also message with the pins your brake pads are on, and there's just a ton more screws. Way to much effort. Also a piston stopper helps a lot for removing the clutch.

brio

Thanks I finally got it off after a partial break-in run, guess it loosened up?? I don't know. Anyway, now I cannot get this HPI spring on the stock cltuch shoes for the life of me. Guess I shouldve just bought the shoes and spring together.

ImminentFailure

I had a killer time as well. The stock shoes have more material between the spring mounting hole, and the open center area. This caused the first loop in my spring to bind up on that inner edge of the shoe. I worked it for an hour, then watched some vids, then looked on here and saw some pretty beat up springs. I then proceeded to my hobby shop were the expert guru on 1/5 scales handed me the HPI shoe/spring combo, and I Snapped it together there in the shop in 5 seconds.

rcgasser

did you remove the shoes? If you remove the shoes and put the spring in with the shoes out of alignment one shoe higher then the other with the spring attached. Then use some channel lock pliers and squeeze the shoes downward together it should pop right in place.

brio

I did everything u just said but I only wish that could happen. It's been 2 many hours on this. I give up. I can pop the old spring back in with no problem but the HPI one, its imposssible.

brio

ImminentFailure said:
I had a killer time as well. The stock shoes have more material between the spring mounting hole, and the open center area. This caused the first loop in my spring to bind up on that inner edge of the shoe. I worked it for an hour, then watched some vids, then looked on here and saw some pretty beat up springs. I then proceeded to my hobby shop were the expert guru on 1/5 scales handed me the HPI shoe/spring combo, and I Snapped it together there in the shop in 5 seconds.
Hey Imminent..Did the HPI HR clutch plus spring make a noticeable difference with performance?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts