• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Just a quick one regarding my engine not starting yesterday

wildstallion

Was ragging my Chimera around a field yesterday when I made the mistake of handing over the controls to my wife so I could get some actions shots with my iPhone.

Anyway she decided to promptly roll it at 45mph with a hard turn. After that point I couldn't get it started again. I am assuming and hoping that the roll probably flooded the engine. Would you guys agree with that theory (she thinks she might have broken it). Starting problems probably are not helped by the fact that I am still using the original plug after break-in 12-13 tanks later I presume.

Anyway I am going to let her think she broke it so I can justify buying a RCMK XCR-1000 Sand Rail :)

phreerider

45mph! wow out of the box?

check for spark?

check for fuel flow?

kill switch may have dropped connection, check all connections from battery all the way out.

if you have spark all up stream is good.

could have cracked head, intake as well. at 45mph most things break up pretty good.

if it had been your car, how would it look and operate after 120mph roll over if you where alive to be concerned about it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ice_2k

I also had my engine die during a rollover... not really sure why that happened. I guess fuel starvation is a possibility but I'm guessing the fuel in the tubing & carb should last at least a few seconds, however mine died immediatelly. Anyway, it started again with no problems, I don't really see how you could flood it while it's running, who would be turning the engine to get more fuel in? If it stops for any reason, wouldn't it be the same situation as pushing the stop button? The spark is gone and the engine turns a few more times and dies. No risk of flooding. Are there any other issues with running inverted except getting fuel from the tank?

P.S. Isn't the stock top speed 35mph?

P.P.S. phreerider beat me to it :)

phreerider

the inertia alone would slam the piston into cylinder wall and it in most cases would kill it, could crack the ring. a roll over would be not as violent as head on slam but can be messy... battery connection would be a good start. kill switch should let u know if all is good.

wildstallion

"P.S. Isn't the stock top speed 35mph?

P.P.S. phreerider beat me to it "

Wow in my old age its sure seems like 45MPH, this thing seems as fast as my savage XL it sure was going full speed. So 35mph is the stock speed for a Chimera then? Seems like much more maybe its the size I am not used to yet :)

As I said if she has wrecked it this kind of gives me a get out of jail card to get another car :)

wildstallion

Incidentally it rolled over on thick grass no body damage so I am hoping its nothing too bad but you guys have got me worried now with your experiences

Ice_2k

I doubt it's "wrecked". You just need to do a little debugging to find the issue. I can't imagine the engine being destroyed over something like a roll on gras, I mean come on, there's not that much G's in something like, certainly nothing similar to a collision with a post or smth... It could be something as simple as a disconnected wire or a dead spark plug.

Ice_2k

I don't see how that would change things

RampageHopUps

Spark and fuel are 2 things you need. If i were to guess, either your spark plug is cracked, boot is broken, or your stop button is depressed.

wildstallion

OK this is what I am going to tell my wife when she see's either a Losi DBXL or a XCR-1000 on the dining room table...

"Listen l love, my car was a right off after you rolled it whilst it was traveling at Mach3+. Resultant fireball/mushroom cloud which happened as your turned your back meant that the cars on-board computer system could not recombobulate its self in time to prevent its own fatal demise"

She cant really rip me a new one for buying another truck if its actually her fault can she! What are your thoughts guys? I will still use the Redcat of course on a regular basis I imagine.

Ice_2k

If it was my wife she would just say "well, you asked me to drive it so it's your fault!" :) ))

designed2survive

Ice_2k said:
If it was my wife she would just say "well, you asked me to drive it so it's your fault!" :) ))
LOL! That's funny but so true.

To the OP, here the thing, you know your wife better than any of us. So if you feel the need to be reassured about making the purchase and not having your butt handed to you, guess what? Chances are your butt will be handed to you! LOL! :)

At least you are in a good position to start negotiating with a good possible output. Just don't assume because she broke it you are free to get another one. Remember what Ice_2k said "I broke it because you let me use it, so it's your fault"! Your wife may not have any problem saying that.

Good luck!

Ice_2k

Redcat Rampage forum - The home of Redcat vehicles and awesome couples advice :) ))

wildstallion

Actually I think the aforementioned might seem a bit too much like a elaborate lie. I think I will just tell her the Dilithium crystals are shot, and keep it plausible

wildstallion

Got to play this cool otherwise Mr Wiggly will be on rations for the foreseeable future and there will be vision but no sound. Hmm the later consequence might not be so bad after all?

therealrsr

This conversation is far too entertaining to be hidden in a motor/exhaust section of the forum.

OP did you ever check the plug?

wildstallion

therealrsr said:
This conversation is far too entertaining to be hidden in a motor/exhaust section of the forum.OP did you ever check the plug?
I have ordered a new NGK plug the had the old one for a while and I'm semi confident will will fix things (but I cant start her up before the new one arrives :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts