• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Junk electronics

Since most people replace all the electronics on their new Redcat before even starting it, why doesn't Redcat drop the price some and ship them without electronics installed? Just curious...

dale_gribble

I have recommended the same. I would recommend to Redcat to either 1) raise the price to include better gear or 2) sell as an ARTR (Almost Ready to Run). However...

My guess is that the Rampage OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) doesn't permit this kind of deviation from its standard original equipment offerings nor do they have an upgraded electronics package option. Therefore, Redcat has no choice but to buy the cars with the preinstalled OEM gear. I guess that they pay the same price whether it has radio gear or not and just pass on the subpar gear to their customers. The OEM probably doesn't permit returns either which removes the possibility of Redcat removing the gear themselves and shipping back for a credit.

So, Redcat can either remove the gear and sell the Rampages at the same price anyway, or let the customer roll the dice with the junky stock gear.

Deluge

It's possible. They sold rollers in the past, but I guess right now there doesn't seem to be a market for them. You also have to remember that to a lot of customers, Redcat is their primary introduction to 1/5 scales. So it makes sense, cater to the people you make the most money off of, the majority of which are looking for an RTR.

REVOlutionary Rampage

I agree on having a roller or at least electronics that can handle the demands of a 1/5 scale 33lb truck/buggy etc... I have had good luck with mine, but I can also see after spending 700+ on a r/c car, Then having it have a small electrical fire, or non working electronics. Would then discorage a new customer from getting a redcat or other r/c.

Thanks guys... I figured it had been recommended to them before, but it was worth a shot. I remember before when they offered it as a roller and there were quite a few other issues that were suggested that they improved on, too bad this isn't one of them.

PISTOL PETE

look at it like this for what it costs to buy a stock baja you can have a bullet proof rampage. in a way your better off

hamster huey

Not offering a roller is discouraging to newcomers. A lot of newcomers don't understand you have to pay to play. If you don't have the money for the hobby youre going to be dissappointed. Thats it. They also often times don't know what they are getting into which makes it worse when they don't have the money to pay to play or are just pissed off they need to spend more money.

This is why I have always said 1/5, 1/6 gassers are only good for experienced rc'ers. So many people dissagree w/me but experienced RCers will not be dissappointed w/ redcat gassers. Experienced RCers understand the amount of $ required and accept it if they cant get something as a roller they will have to change some things.

Now if these were marketed as ARTR that would be different. Newbies understand what that means.

igetbombed

Contributor
I agree with all of the statements on this post. I did my homework, and knew what I was getting into with the MT. Rob at Rampagehopups also didn't sugar coat anything on the phone. He explained that this unit wasn't exactly a "take it out of the box and play" type of deal, and gave me the low down on what should be done before my first run.

It was kind of frustrating to have to buy better servos, the HPI filter etc before I ever even went outside with my brand new truck. Redcat does a good job of offering a comparible 5th scale to say an HPI at a fraction of the cost, but to a novice, you are right, they buy it, take it out right away and something goes terribly wrong souring their thoughts on 1/5 scale.

I don't regret my purchase, but at the same token Im starting to wonder if this was a good deal. I've done a total of 5 tanks on mine so far, and have replaced the following:

2 a arms

Front/rear body mounts

Brand new body (mine shattered the first time it hit the lid - into about 300 pieces)

New servos

New Tires (my fault entirely for hitting something)

I'm still running the stock TX/RX, but lets face it, it's junk also.

A roller would have been great, because the stock stuff mentioned here is so junky you can't even sell it on ebay. Who wants a servo that is going to break in an hour, or a crappy TX/RX?!?!

I don't count the cost of my pipe as a bad thing because from what I see, everyone who gets into 1/5 scale factors in a pipe regardless of what you buy, but Redcat should really offer a roller

JonyLeaber

Fees are paid when you buy the product; fees are paid when you get rid of the product.

They get us coming and going...

Wholesale Spy Camera

Last edited by a moderator:

krashkrieg

Contributor
Alright, I think you are missing the fact that you will upgrade a baja's servo's they aren't the greatest either, just browse HBF search stock servos...The Rampages turnbuckles are the only known weak point.

For the price of a finished Rampage including 2 steering servos (it is an MT not Dunerunner which is closer to a Baja) and HPI air filter and pipe you would just be getting started with a Baja and only have 2wd

If you did the same driving moves in 32 degree weather with a Baja, you would have busted the same amount of parts....

A double sided ramp and freezing temps are no RC's friend... :D ..come on, fess up and post that pic of your used lid for sale...cheap! :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

I still find a built Rampage to be $700-1000 cheaper than a built HPI with the same durability when both fully built.

I believe a built Rampage 25lb beats a built HPI 25lb 2wd performance and value.

Add to that the xt/b are supposed to be even better for power to weight and performance per dollar!

Deluge

This HPI vs Redcat debate is getting old. Reliability is entirely dependent on your driving style. It doesn't matter what brand of vehicle you have...plowing into a tree will always level the playing field.

Deluge said:
This HPI vs Redcat debate is getting old. Reliability is entirely dependent on your driving style. It doesn't matter what brand of vehicle you have...plowing into a tree will always level the playing field.
You definately have a good point there:)

hamster huey

How else can you make digruntled people realize that the Rampage is a good deal except to compare it to Hpi which is the 1/5 RTR leader that most gas newbies think of?

Newbies equate RTR to a good deal. They don't know RTR leaders like Traxxas and Hpi arent as RTR as they think. So if someone new to gasoline thinks they got hosed on a RTR Rampage it would be nice to remind them of the alternatives.

Deluge

hamster huey said:
How else can you make digruntled people realize that the Rampage is a good deal except to compare it to Hpi which is the 1/5 RTR leader that most gas newbies think of?
Newbies equate RTR to a good deal. They don't know RTR leaders like Traxxas and Hpi arent as RTR as they think. So if someone new to gasoline thinks they got hosed on a RTR Rampage it would be nice to remind them of the alternatives.
If they have a Rampage, I'm sure they know the alternatives. Your "argument" doesn't make sense. We know all RTR's have their issues, but constantly saying, "At least you didn't blow $1,400.00 on a Baja!", isn't helping the situation, it's more like a slap in the face. Focusing on failure isn't going to draw attention to success.

hamster huey

Thats a good point. It is expensive no matter how you look at it. Youre right it is beating a dead horse defending the Rampage. Ill shut up and see what happens w/all the angry people who didnt know what the Rampage was about when they bought it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts