• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Is this a fluke I hope?

Greggfromohio

The weather finally let me go out to finish breaking in my Mt (I'm still on first tank of gas) 5 minutes of running and the drive train starting making a heck of a racket. So back inside I went arrg! It turns out that the large crown gear in the rear diff has a couple teeth broken off. Is this a common issue? Or just a fluke? The gear mesh seems to be good and I wasn't romping on the truck, just driving it around trying to break in the engine.

G

Greggfromohio said:
The weather finally let me go out to finish breaking in my Mt (I'm still on first tank of gas) 5 minutes of running and the drive train starting making a heck of a racket. So back inside I went arrg! It turns out that the large crown gear in the rear diff has a couple teeth broken off. Is this a common issue? Or just a fluke? The gear mesh seems to be good and I wasn't romping on the truck, just driving it around trying to break in the engine.
The diffs in the cats are known to be really tough. I have never heard of one breaking like that.

Greggfromohio

So your sayin its just my bad luck...that figures! Lol. There is actually 2 broken teeth and some that are rounded off beside them. It looks to me like the broken teeth may have been like that for awhile. They are not shiny like a fresh break would be which leaves me to believe that they might have gotten broken during the manufacturing process. I took a look at the warranty and it states that gears are not covered so I'm gonna bite the bullet and just order one. I sure hope I get the kinks worked out of this thing soon. I enjoy turning a wrench but there comes a time when I want take it out and run it!!

Johan

Although I've never read about anyone breaking the diff gears I think I've read about missing shims in the diff. If that's the case here that could be the reason yours broke.

I'd contact Redcat and see that they have to say about it. Hopefully you'll get it fixed soon :)

Greggfromohio

Well, I received the new gear I ordered and its not the right gear! You've got to be kidding me! I ordered and received part number 50071. Is that not the right part number for my rampage mt? The teeth on the new one have a bit of a curve to them and the old one just has straight teeth on it. They both have 33 teeth. Please help me out here guys! View attachment 6133 View attachment 6134

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130528.117371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130549.556358.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130528.117371.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130549.556358.jpg

/monthly_2013_04/ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130528.117371.jpg.a7f90868ee81d7d92104af13c230372f.jpg

/monthly_2013_04/ImageUploadedByTapatalk1365130549.556358.jpg.42f5c4e607a92228485f8c3d03617355.jpg

G

Your going to have to contact Redcat. That is not a good part. 50071 is right. Looks like it was miss labeled.

Greggfromohio

What's strange is that most of the pictures I can find online for part number 50071 show the same gear as what I received.

G

Another weird thing is, in the online manual, the center diff crown gear looks like the one you received but it does not list a part number for it. You might need to ask Redcat to warranty the entire diff. Keep us posted I'm curious to hear what you find out.

rampagemt

Seems like a fluke to me as redcat gears are very durable. I hope redcat fixes you up and your up and goin to finish breakin

Greggfromohio

I have gone 4-wheeler riding for the weekend(first time away from the cows in a looong time! Lol). I will have to get ahold of redcat when I get back to get this sorted out. I probably should have called them to begin with but I thought it would be easier just to buy a gear, throw it in and move on bit it hasn't worked out that way.

Jfetzer

I went through the same thing.I put the new gear in even though it was different looking seams to be working fine.

Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2

Greggfromohio

Jfetzer said:
I went through the same thing.I put the new gear in even though it was different looking seams to be working fine.Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Did you also replace the pinion gear? Or did you leave the stock one in it?

Greggfromohio

I called redcat today and the guy told me that gears are not a warrantied part but beings my truck is so new that I should submit a claim and maybe they would approve it. So that's what I did. Now I just have to wait and see what they say.

Greggfromohio

Jfetzer said:
Did you ask about the different style gear?Sent from my C771 using Tapatalk 2
Yes I ask about it in the email I sent. I'll let you guys know what I find out when I here back from them.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.