• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Is my new MT running too rich?

infamous212

Gents,

I'm in the process of performing a break-in process per OBR video. I've recoreded a short video clip of the 4th 15 minute run.

Please watch the video listed below and tell me what I need to do to reduce the amount of smoke coming out from exhaust pipe during acceleration.

Any feedbacks will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

infamous212

Yesterday, I filled up the tank for the first time and fired her up to break-in the motor per OBR's tuning/break-in video. HSN was set to 1 1/2 out and the LSN was set to 1 1/4 out. Today I've leaned out a bit on the HSN to about 1 1/4 and i definitely felt that the truck was running better but couldn't get rid of the smoke.

I will lean out the HSN more tomorrow to only 1 full turn out from flat.

Thanks!

Phill

At that rate you should have even less smoke.

Definitely rich

Ice_2k

infamous212 said:
I thought about mixing to 25:1 but OBR was recommending 28:1 so I'm currently running on 28:1
28:1 is for OBR's engines, you should use 25:1 in the redcat engine. Also, it should be even richer during break-in, I did mine at 20:1. Also, what oil are you using? Some oils are "smokier". I didn't have that level of smoke with rich settings (HSN @ 1 1/2) and 20:1 mix of Castor 927:

infamous212

I'm using castor 927 and 93 octane with ethanol, since I couldnt find a fuel without ethanol in it.

I will try mixing 25:1 ratio on my next run to see the difference.

Thanks guys, your help is very appreciated.

Deluge

You're actually fine running the mix you have, your margin of error is just a little more narrow, but it's not terrible. At this stage just focus on your needles and your plug color. If you need info on how to do that, let me know and I'll help you out.

infamous212

I believe white colot tip means too lean, and black tip means it is running too rich, correct? I've not tried to remove the plug yet though.

Deluge

Yep, white is too lean, black is too rich. You want to hit it right between the two, which is like a tan color. It's important to do a speed run in order to get an accurate reading. Just do a wide open run, then kill the engine immediately to keep it from idling, then pull the plug. Simple as that.

ika

Mine don't smoke as your even when too ruch. From video engine does not sound too rich. Its oil case, use fully sintetic 2T oil.

Ice_2k

I use the same oil as he does (Castor 927) and I have no smoke, just a little puff when launching. Even when running it very rich with 20:1 mix I had no smoke. Not really sure why the big difference...

infamous212

I haven't had a chance to take it for another short run, and it is still in the process of getting the motor break-in. I believe the exhaust smoke is hardly visible while idling, but I will try to lean it out a bit on my next run and also check the plug.

Thanks,

Deluge

Check the plug before you lean it out, just so you know where you're at and then tune from there. Break-in shouldn't take very long, unless you're putting around. When I break my engines in I just do a warm up run to get the engine temp up and then bash it. You want to put a load on the engine in order to properly seat the ring, you're not going to accomplish that if you're putting around.

infamous212

Okay, i will check the plug beforehand. Though, i thought I shouldn't be doing WOT until the motor is broken-in per videos I've seen on tube. However, if it's okay for me to try on my next 10 mins run then i will do so and then kill the motor immediately to check the plug before leaning out more.

Deluge

Opinions differ when it comes to engine break-in, but I've never had an issue with this method and I know other people have had success with it, as well.

The reason why you want to let the engine hit those higher RPM's is because it causes the piston ring to expand, forcing it up against the cylinder wall which creates a better seal, which leads to improved efficiency, which leads to more power.

As long as you've got your needles tuned properly, you can let it rip. If you want to play it safe, you can run a little on the rich side.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online