• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

I want a rampage mt but have questiosn

Mike SVOR

I like the redcat rampage MT layout and think its ok (except for the plastic gears. really, who would put plastic gears in a chainsaw?).

I also think the motor should be put in the opposite direction so there would be more control in mid-air jumps.

But......anyways.....

Will there ever be a 2 speed trans for this truck???

This is really bugging me.

A metal gear 2 speed is all I would really want.

A ~40cc weedeater engine and a 2 speed trans.

Any plans for such transmissions? Please?

kryptonite

to answer your question..... no. i can almost promise there will not ever be a 2 speed. reversing the motor will also have little to now effect on its mid flight decisions. its just too heavy, and plastic gears are the norm, unless its a compition version of something it will most likly have plastic drive gears, but everything is metal after that. the 2 speed really shouldnt have an effect on your purchase. fg has a 2 peed, but only a small handfull run them and the 5b finally has a 2sp(after 3 years in the making), but again, not so many have that set-up, and that set-up will cost you.

hamster huey

Most of us would rather boost power/effeciency to increase acceleration vs a 2 speed so probably so few people would want one the price would be like $400+ Im guessing if someone did make and sell one. I don't see any reason anyone would change the engine layout and at this time I have never seen it done. And if you want metal gears they are available.

Mike SVOR

I seriously don't understand why redcat would put the motor rotation that way. It makes them jump like the 5B. (nosedive city) They're not even controlable in mid-air.

The FG 4x4 drive train seems like the best and most efficient way to go.

The rampage has 3 pinion gears. Basically changing the torque direction multiple times. But i'm in love with the rampage suspension.

No way in the world can someone say that having the motor turning the same direction as the tires doesn't aid in mid-air controlability.

Just watch the FG movies.

I am seriously wanting to buy a redcat roller (just for the suspension), and put in a FG 4x4 conversion (for the drive line).

I just might have to do this.....

looker2756

Contributor
Good luck on that project. As cool as it sounds, I would bet you come up with a design that gets walked all over by the mfgs. out there already. The Rampage once tweaked & gone completely through is Very good. My TT done amazing things at the last race & was also #1 qualifier.

kryptonite

my rampage fly's thru the air. stay's pretty level unless i get twitchy with the brakes. you make it sound like fg engineers gold over their. the've been using the same basic chassis lay out for every model for the last 10 years. its durable, but i wouldnt go laying there rear engine set-up on a mid engine chassis. ever see an mcd? they must have it all wrong too:rolleyes:.. good luck with your project.. always interesting to see new idea's

Mike SVOR

kryptonite said:
my rampage fly's thru the air. stay's pretty level unless i get twitchy with the brakes. you make it sound like fg engineers gold over their. the've been using the same basic chassis lay out for every model for the last 10 years. its durable, but i wouldnt go laying there rear engine set-up on a mid engine chassis. ever see an mcd? they must have it all wrong too:rolleyes:.. good luck with your project.. always interesting to see new idea's
I didn't say FG is solid gold anywhere in my posts (sorry if it reads that way). I do think their 4wd drive system is the bomb-digity though.

The Redcat suspension gives me wet dreams, but the three pinion gear drive system makes me wretch.

Yes, the FG motor rotating in the 'correct' direction not only lays down the power, but it is way more controlable in mid air. That causes less breakage when landing.

I've raced 4wd nitro off road for years (20 yrs or so), and have always been able to do MAJOR corrections in mid air (like back flips and front flips) to avert crashes and roof landings.

From all the movies I've watched about the redcat and similar rotating motor gassers, they don't pitch nearly enough as needed by throttle corrections.

Needless to say, 25 lbs hitting the ground again and again isn't good. (i'm just saying :D )

Don't take it as a bash on redcat. I'm just throwing out some constructive criticism, hoping that it'll change the future for all mankind, making the world a better place to live. :p

kryptonite

ok mike. my post was sarcastic.. sorry about that. :D .. but reall. i can promise you wont get any where nere the mid flite responce that a nitro has simply becouse of the weight. it does not matter wich direction the motor is facing or spinning. it is simply to heavy. the same goes for the fg's. if it apears as though they "fly" better it could simply be becouse of the rear engine mount. the nutech 4wd has a rear engine mount and it appears they jump good as well. 90% of 4wd platforms that where specifacly built to be 4wd(fg was not built to be a 4wd. it was designed after the 2wd and using the 2wd chassis) will have the 4 drive gears, just as mooman listed: MCD, REDCAT, SMARTECH, HURAX and so on. im not sure why it is that way, but it is just not a problem. i guess we have strong feelings about this becouse we jump our rigs all the time and don't have any issues. jumping a 4wd nitro is for amatures get some air under 5th scale and you'll learn a hole new aproach to jumping. and another point, im not being sarcastic, but you mentioned 20 years in nitro. that meens nothing. large scale is a completly diffrent world. take 90% of what you learned in nitro and toss it. even the nolige of radio gear is diffrent. motors, motor tuning, pipes, diffs, suspension, servos all of it.. so when you gettin a ramp? MT/TT or what?

DemonRC

I found that susp setup on this car has a great impact on nose dives. I removed my Ramtech springs in the rear because they were causing the rear end to rebound to fast off jumps poping the car's ass in the air almost immediatly. I didn't want heavier oil in the rear to compensate for it because it would effect my cornering so I went with the upgrade rear springs and kept the Ramtechs in the front. I think I'm running 45/40 now. Anyways, it's helped keep the nose up.

Also, the FG 4x4 is a nice car, however, the belt drive isn't for bashing. I thought the drivetrain was 100% sealed but it's not. I've seen firsthand what small rocks do to the belt drive and pullies. When you do have problems with the belt it also looks like a friggin nightmare to remove it. One thing is that the Rampage is very simple and sometimes being simple is gold.

Last edited by a moderator:

hamster huey

Yeah 5th scale gasoline is different. You mainly tune it for how you want it to leave the ground as catchaser said and when its in the air you hold on as blipping and braking arent as pronounced as a nitro. Also the run up angle of some jumps will buck your truck like crazy and others will smoothly float it on air. Remember just because the truck doesn't jump the way you want the problem could be a peice of crap jump ramp.

Mike SVOR

Thanks for all the replies!!!

It's always good to talk with owners/operators

I have a huge question

Is there an ultra light flywheel for these engines that anyone has tried?

Thanks

Mike SVOR

There is a 36cc engine on partsforscooters.com

Why not use that?

Wouldn't it work?

The bolt locations should be standard. Right?

kryptonite

Mike SVOR said:
There is a 36cc engine on partsforscooters.com
Why not use that?

Wouldn't it work?

The bolt locations should be standard. Right?
nope, the mounting pattern is likly diffrent. one of the reasons we wouldnt use that motor is becouse of reliability. the same goes for your 40cc weed eater motor. they have rev limiters and will only max out at maybe 10,00rpms. plus those motors arent ported for anything specail. the drive line wont hold up anyway. doesn't matter what you put it in, its likly just too much, and the end result is you still wont go any faster. you can get just as much usable power out of a 30.5 any way. so many have tried it, but its just not practicle or worth it as the advantages are simply bragging rights

FLYWHEEL- a lighter flywheel will really help it spool up faster. you can do it yourself or get one from DDM. you really want some weight behind the flywheel thogh or you will notice less holding power at the top

Last edited by a moderator:

pup1970

This thread has got me thinking about a couple of ideas that have been rolling around in my noggin. I bet some drivetrain drag could be reduced by replacing the a/b/c/d/gears with 2 sprockets and chain or belt. I havent looked at the chassis, but I bet you could spin the motor around and flip the d gear shaft and get your rotation you want. just a couple thoughts.

Mike SVOR

mooman007uk said:
here you go Mike, grab one of these puppies and let us know how it jumps..
sure!

got a link so I can check them out?

Mike SVOR

Ok, I'm still in love with the redcat rampage mt.

The parts availability is way higher for it than others.

So how much money am I looking at to get this thing up and running, minus the cost of motor and radio?

I mean this thing is gona break almost right outa the box it seems.

The plastic gears will last a few laps, people say to replace the bearings, dif cups are needed, i gota have the 8k rpm springs,

What else do I need to buy with this kit so I won't be broke down?

kryptonite

hey mike. it all depends on if you want the TT or the MT. the tt is way more relaible out of the box. the MT tires are soo heavy they put alot of stress on all the plastic. the tt is also a little faster. many of us can now say the gears will last if you simply vent the gear cover. im running stock redcat gears in 2 of my 3 redcats. i lost count of how many gallons are on those gears, but i have no intensions of purchasing metal gears. if you do the basic upgrades and pre-run check list from the box, you really wont have major issues. my TTruggy is box stock. minus the motor/pipe/servos. i installed the upgrade kit and did the basic pre-run stuff. your gona break stuff, but just upgrade as you go. as far as price goes, where are you located? DDM is selling the V1 with a side dom pipe, upgrade kit and cy23 for $599-5% discount code and free shipping in the states. from there you need:

-throttle servo/$40

-good radio/futaba 3pm/$110

-clutch spring(optional)$8

-extra 25t gears(optional)$12

then the rest is upgrading as you go

this is my revised pre-run list. this will get you going out of the box

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=1728

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.