• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

HPI 8000rpm clutch spring and stock XT shoes

brio

Has anyone ever been able to install the HPI HR 8000rpm clutch spring on the stock XT shoes? Or has everyone been just installing the whole HR clutch kit(8000rpm spring and light wght shoes) from HPI. Seems the HPI spring coils are a bit wider than stock spring and when spring attached the shoes just won't snap in place. I can remove and install the stock spring in stock shoes all day but for the life of me I cannot get the HPI spring in stock shoes :mad: . I wonder if my LHS guy can do it for me. :rolleyes:

G

It should fit. Did you take the shoes off to install the spring? I bought the new shoes with my spring but everything was apart in the bag. There are several YouTube videos out there on installing the spring. Might help ya.

brio

So, you didn't actually install the HPI springs on the redcat shoes. That's probably why you got it on. I've seen the vids but still can't and I don't have a stationary vice.

foxys

I bought just the springs and I did have to scrape some of the paint off the spring where it goes into the shoe. They really put it on thick. Another club member had to dremel off a bit of flash on his. For what these springs cost, you'd think they would have better quality control.

foxys

I used a large pair of channel locks to pull the shoes back in alignment. That spring is very stiff. The spring got rid of the bogging I had in the corners with my gear setup.

If your not bogging taking off, then you don't need it. All this does is raise the engagement speed of the clutch. I do notice I break the tires loose a lot easier, and that could be a whole new problem depending on your gearing. I'm probably going to take a standard setup for our on/off road series next year and see which works best for that.

It's really a tuning issue, do you need more RPMs coming out of the corner, then you should try the spring. If not, leave the stock in to help prevent wheel spin, gearing and surface play a part in this.

brio

Well, i'm just starting out with it, still breaking it in. I just heard that the acceleration was much improved with that 8k rpm spring. Guess its not absolutely necessary. BTW, I'm running the stock gear setup.

Last edited by a moderator:

foxys

Get it broken in first. Play with it. If it bogs, up the spring, if it doesn't, it won't help performance, as it wasn't bogging in the first place. Really the Baha needs these because it's a heavy pig, the XT/XB are very light rigs, so with stock gearing you may not need it.

brio

But with the stock gearing and 8k rpm spring I shouldn't experience any wheel spinning, I'd think?

brio

The guy at my LHS installed it for me. I put the truck back together and now just gotta finish break-in and test it out. If it just could stop raining over here in central FL.

Bill_G

Yes. Takes off with more power, but I didn't have the stock can muffler anymore which bogged slightly. I now have the HPI HR shoes and 8K spring. Can't say I notice a difference there tho.

brio

I finally got the XT broken-in and slightly tuned and the off-the-line take off speed is pretty good with this spring. I think I see a diff compared to stock spring.

savagekiller

Installed 8000 spring on stock rampage xt clutch shoes.... Now xt revs really high when I apply throttle... But does not take off for a few seconds. And when it does finally move... It goes really slow with the engine screaming. Tried adjusting the needles, but no luck yet. What is wrong... Please help. Was I supposed to use the hpi shoes?

rcgasser

The engine should rev higher with the 8k spring before it takes off then with the stock spring. Did you check the grub screws on the square for the gears? on the clutch bell maybe they are slipping. When you put back the shoes did you install the wavy washer and the flat washer right?

G

It should rev up before it goes. 8k. The power band is just starting at 8k rpm. A XT should really launch with that spring. The stock motor should rev up to the 14 - 15k rpm range.

savagekiller

ok, I will try again... hopefully the high rpm was just freaking me out. I'll try playing with the needles again. thanks.

next time... the hpi clutch DOES fit, right?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts