• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

High capacity 4s ,8s battiers?

DUFFY

I'm thinking about running one of my xb-es at a higher voltage. My 6s 1340 combo will stay as it is on 6s2p , and 2x3s batts, 11-48 gearing.

The only two places I can find that's sell 8000mah plus battiers are hobbyking and max amps. Well max amps would cost $600 for the battiers I want and hobbyking only has them overseas. I also see most of the 8s battiers have 2 tabs.hhmmm ? Any one ever charge 8s lipos for a plane or boat here?

Anyone here know a good place to buy some huge 4s or 8s batts? it would suck to have to be broke for a month buying the max amps. And buying from over seas means I'm waiting a while. Thanks for any links or info.

Last edited by a moderator:
G

It took three weeks for my hobby king order. Not too bad....

G

Those are huge 800+ grams. Talk about anchors! 2 of those is more weight then all 4 wheels and tires.

bigfol

DUFFY said:
I want to buy 2x of these. They should be good for about 50 minutes run time about. http://www.maxamps.com/Lipo-11000-148-Pack.htm

The cost though!
I would stick with Hk batts better bang for your buck, Max amps are all hype and puff just as much if not more than any other I have tried, if you want the best try Hyperion lipo's.....

DUFFY

Yeh, I'm really after that mah is all, max amps is over priced, i never owned thier products. I would feel silly spending 600 lol.

3 weeks is not to bad. I guess I'll plan on hk for now. Although those packs would defintly allow me to race a full 30 min race with out a pit stop. The 8000 mah hk batts should be good for 30 min I'm hope. My lower voltage set up is fine , but im going to lose alot of speed gearing down back to 11-48.

I want to go for a 8s set up good for 30 minutes at around 45-50 mph. 12s is out for me since castle say it voids the return policy on the 2028. I'm going to run a 2028 0r similar low kv set up. The toro esc at KD should be out any day now I hope. I might try that if its out any time soon.

DUFFY

Btw does anyone know much about the MGM compro? Some guy posted about heat issues 3 minutes into his run on a losi 5t convo. No one answered him on the forums so kinda scares me.

bigfol

DUFFY said:
Btw does anyone know much about the MGM compro? Some guy posted about heat issues 3 minutes into his run on a losi 5t convo. No one answered him on the forums so kinda scares me.
My mate has a mgm in his xbe, its the biggest esc I have ever seen, he has not had any issues with it, can handle up to 16s........Big buck$ though.....

jathomas3

The price on the Zippy packs is great! I may have to try them. Thunder Power packs are the best I've ever used. I can notice a big difference in performance over the others I've used (Venom and Turnigy mostly). I'd stay clear of the AKKU packs you linked on eBay. I've had two sets of that brand and they are not too good.

G

BoukeG said:
That depends... A 15C 10k mah gives more power than a 30C 4k mah lipo. So with those large capacity lipo you can have a lower C rating.
:confused: it was always my understanding that the C rating is the amp draw capablity and the mah (miliamp hours) is the longevity.

Also the higer the c rating will increase how fast you can charge it, in most cases.

jathomas3

BoukeG has it right. The C rating and mah go hand and hand. The C rating is a percentage of the mah (capacity). As far as charging rate goes, most batteries are to be charged at a 1C rate unless stated otherwise. There is a discharge C rating and a charge rate. They are seperate ratings but it seems that higher quality packs (higher discharge rating) can typically be charged at a higher rate. Or at least that is my understanding of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

BoukeG

To know the max amp a lipo can deliver simply multiply the C against mah. So a 5000mah x 20C can discharge at 100Amps. Overall charge rate is 1C (except those more expensive hyper modern lipo with silver blah blah can do at 2C). That is 1Amp per 1000mah, which means this 5000 mah lipo can be charged with 5A. So the default lipo, 3200 mah (isn't it?), should not be charged higher then 3.2 amps, no matter how high the discharge rate is.

Also, in series the lipo is not capable of delivering more power, so discharge amps stays the same, however, parallel lipos can both deliver the power, so that is twice as many. That's why higher cell count in parallel are generally having a higher C rating.

jathomas3

BoukeG said:
To know the max amp a lipo can deliver simply multiply the C against mah. So a 5000mah x 20C can discharge at 100Amps. Overall charge rate is 1C (except those more expensive hyper modern lipo with silver blah blah can do at 2C). That is 1Amp per 1000mah, which means this 5000 mah lipo can be charged with 5A. So the default lipo, 3200 mah (isn't it?), should not be charged higher then 3.2 amps, no matter how high the discharge rate is.Also, in series the lipo is not capable of delivering more power, so discharge amps stays the same, however, parallel lipos can both deliver the power, so that is twice as many. That's why higher cell count in parallel are generally having a higher C rating.
If two packs are run in parallel does that double the C rating? As an example would two 5000mah 30C packs run in parallel equal 10000mah with a 60C discharge rate?

G

BoukeG said:
To know the max amp a lipo can deliver simply multiply the C against mah. So a 5000mah x 20C can discharge at 100Amps. Overall charge rate is 1C (except those more expensive hyper modern lipo with silver blah blah can do at 2C). That is 1Amp per 1000mah, which means this 5000 mah lipo can be charged with 5A. So the default lipo, 3200 mah (isn't it?), should not be charged higher then 3.2 amps, no matter how high the discharge rate is.Also, in series the lipo is not capable of delivering more power, so discharge amps stays the same, however, parallel lipos can both deliver the power, so that is twice as many. That's why higher cell count in parallel are generally having a higher C rating.
Thanks, I get it. :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts