• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Grafil MCD V4 body on XB

G

I ordered a Grafil MCD body from Large Scale RC. Thought I would give it a try. It is a nice body. It does not come trimmed but that doesn't matter since it would take more trimming to make it fit. I does come marked and that is a good starting point. It also comes with window masks. No Grafil logo stickers. I don't know if the motor sits higher in the XB but the spark plug hits the top of the body even with the cage off. So what I guess I'm saying is that it does not fit without serious modification. I ended up heating the lexan up and stretching the top to make room for the plug and cage. Royal PITA. It turned out ok at best. I am going to contact Grafil and ask him if he will make a custom body for me that has more room in the top. I rotated my pullstarter 90 deg. clockwise so I would not have to cut a hole. The Grafil body is much wider, but you guys running side mount pipes should know that the pipe would not fit inside the body. Here are some pics.

---

aea7802d.jpg

fa46f646.jpg

72975d7d.jpg

0d127758.jpg

DustyR3825

Banned
That kind of sucks it doesn't fit that well! Thanks for the review on the product Bud! At least I know i am a $125 richer!! LOL. I can't believe that it doesn't even come with stickers.......Keep us informed with pics as you get painting and trimming!! Even though I can't have one it is still a Sweet Body!!

cordy

Yes thanks for the info.Where did you get the wheels and tires? Georgous wheels,are they mcd wheels with elcon tires. Tell me cuz the suspense is killing me. I assume you would paint the body on the outside?

Last edited by a moderator:
G

Yes thanks for the info.Where did you get the wheels and tires? Georgous wheels,are they mcd wheels with elcon tires. Tell me cuz the suspense is killing me. I assume you would paint the body on the outside?
Yes on the wheels. I bought them used but like new from Obeast44. The body will still be painted on the inside. It is clear, it just has a white protective film on the outside. You can see the window mask showing through from the inside on the last pic:)

G

I have been in contract with Grafil and he stated he would alter the design to accommodate the issue I had with the cage and spark plug. He is going to send me a drawing. If any one else is interested I could try to get extras. I won't have cost info until I hear back from him.

G

That kind of sucks it doesn't fit that well! Thanks for the review on the product Bud! At least I know i am a $125 richer!! LOL. I can't believe that it doesn't even come with stickers.......Keep us informed with pics as you get painting and trimming!! Even though I can't have one it is still a Sweet Body!!
I will post more pics. This body is the reason I must have a rear mount pipe. :D I can't wait to hear back from him. He sounded happy to help out with a custom mod to an already great body. I will also post the drawing he sends me as soon as I get it. You know your going to have to sell that side mount and get the rear mount once you see the new body.LOL

G

I just realized this body is a great reason to get the XBE. LOL No spark plug cages to worry about on the electrics. :D

DemonRC

RCDAD said:
I just realized this body is a great reason to get the XBE. LOL No spark plug cages to worry about on the electrics. :D
I already test fit it on the XBE. It looks pretty good. I would like for him to make a XBE specific body that is low like the XBE body and narrower but looks the same as his body.

Also, I test fit the body on my XB and it will clear the plug if you use the body mounts for the XT to raise it 10mm on the back. You would also need to make a longer post for the front mount. The reason is the MCD engine sits on the chassis which makes it 10mm lower.

G

Also, I test fit the body on my XB and it will clear the plug if you use the body mounts for the XT to raise it 10mm on the back. You would also need to make a longer post for the front mount. The reason is the MCD engine sits on the chassis which makes it 10mm lower.
That would work but the body needs to be lower than the wing. I guess a person could also raise the wing, but then you would have to run spinners.LOL

DustyR3825

Banned
RCDAD said:
I will post more pics. This body is the reason I must have a rear mount pipe. :D I can't wait to hear back from him. He sounded happy to help out with a custom mod to an already great body. I will also post the drawing he sends me as soon as I get it. You know your going to have to sell that side mount and get the rear mount once you see the new body.LOL
LMAO! I might depending on how good it looks..... I am getting ready to send my Prostock motor back to OBR to get converted to a long rod...... They are getting ready to release a new motor that has more power than the FMLR so I am waiting for the release of it to check out the Specs.......and may get it...either way it will be CRAZY!!!

G

LMAO! I might depending on how good it looks..... I am getting ready to send my Prostock motor back to OBR to get converted to a long rod...... They are getting ready to release a new motor that has more power than the FMLR so I am waiting for the release of it to check out the Specs.......and may get it...either way it will be CRAZY!!!
Wow. I'm glad I've waited on the motor. Can't wait too see what they come up with. I hope that Demon RC has the two speed and 7075 has an aluminum dif case by then. :D

k.jensen

here in denmark we have had alot of complaints about the Grafil body's. nomatter if it where the lexan or fiber bodys. they all broke after a maximum of 1 day's drive.

much faster than original body's. So here the grafil body's are only for shelf cars, course they look good.

G

here in denmark we have had alot of complaints about the Grafil body's. nomatter if it where the lexan or fiber bodys. they all broke after a maximum of 1 day's drive.much faster than original body's. So here the grafil body's are only for shelf cars, course they look good.
I have no intension of racing with this body. It was not designed for the xb and is not supported by the sides of the car. Compared to what is available here, this is a good quality body. Don't get me wrong, I drive all my bodies cause I like to show them off. I would not make a "let's kill Redcats video" and drive it off a cliff.LOL I have read some complaints on Grafils bodies on other forums. Most of the complaints show photos and the owners have cut openings in the bodies. Any body that is raced or used for serious bashing needs to be solid and not modified in any way.

Thanks for your input. :)

k.jensen

RCDAD said:
I have no intension of racing with this body. It was not designed for the xb and is not supported by the sides of the car. Compared to what is available here, this is a good quality body. Don't get me wrong, I drive all my bodies cause I like to show them off. I would not make a "let's kill Redcats video" and drive it off a cliff.LOL I have read some complaints on Grafils bodies on other forums. Most of the complaints show photos and the owners have cut openings in the bodies. Any body that is raced or used for serious bashing needs to be solid and not modified in any way.Thanks for your input. :)
your welcomer, here is another one:)

maybe I should have said that the complaints I have heard about here is from MCD and HPI baja drivers, some of them are DM drivers (danish championship) and they only use approved designs of bodys and they don't modufy them :) just so we don't misunderstand eachother. I REALLY LOOVE the look of grafil's body's but they whont last 1 race :(

G

maybe I should have said that the complaints I have heard about here is from MCD and HPI baja drivers, some of them are DM drivers (danish championship) and they only use approved designs of bodys and they don't modufy them
I wonder if it is harder to use thicker lexan. I also have a wide body by Woodster Lidz. It is the thickest body I've ever seen. It is a bit heavy, but tough as he'll. On the other hand I have had great luck with thinner bodies. They bend instead of crack. I have looked into the process just out of curiosity, and found that recycled polycarbonate is available for less. I wonder if the recycled is poorer quality??? I know recycled aluminum is not as strong. I have no knowledge in the process what so ever, just food for thought...

DemonRC

One of the 5T guys with the woodster body had a few wrecks today. It's impossible to break that body but he did put some major bends in it today. He got one of the first colored lexan bodies. It's black. Now it has 3-4 permenant white lines in it where it bent.

k.jensen

well one here in denmark did this to his brand new Grafil body after only 10 minutes runtime (it's his 3rd body from grafil). the body on the pictures is the v.2 lexan body vor mcd v4 rr.

looks like it's holdig up real good don't ya think :eek:

G

I do remember you stating"they don't modify the bodies". That one looks like Swiss Cheese before it was ever run.LOL

k.jensen

This guy isn't one of the danish championship drivers (who don't modify their body's) and it's the only modifyed body I have seen and yeah I know he cut out the windows, but unfortnally the guy's with the unmodifyed bodies whont let me post thiers :( dunno why.....

and that's why im saying "looks like it's holding up real good" :p

but again, if u look at the sideskirts at the buttom, they aren't cut but DAMN they are ripped apart. even my original XB body that's cut open like a swiss cheese is holding up much better, 20 races, 30+ crashes and alot of fun stunts. and it's still going.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts