• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Going crazy - Dunerunner not starting (no Spark) at ALL

rampage idiot

If I remember correctly an ohm meter should read close to 25 ohms across the terminals on the coil with both wires disconnected, also make sure you have 6 volts to the coil, the problem is I have seen coils have the correct resistance and still be bad, like rcdad said a bad coil is rare but it does happen

jackpicc

Thanks guys for the reply.

I managed to get the fuel bulb pump to work; somehow the two fuel lines was crossed over and as soon as I switched them around the bump works fine.

Now going to the engine not starting; I turned the car upside down and pulled for a long time (without the spark plug in the combustion chamber) to get rid of any excess fuel...after all that I tried again but still no luck.

I'm convinced that the spark on the spark plug is too weak ...how does it look on your car? Mine looks like a small blue flick of flash - very faint.

I am now going to try and look at the coil/magento again :( ....

Thanks

Jackpicc

Phill

How is the compression?

Can you lift the car off the ground with the pull start handle with out the cord coming out?

If not check the head bolts

If you have spark, fuel and compression it should go.

jackpicc

Thank you Phil,

The cord does come out when I try to lift the car off the ground. I then checked the head bolts as you suggested; they were tight but I made sure they were fully tightened.

Still though; not starting... :( ...I even tried the replacement magento coil again and still not starting.

I am out of ideas at the moment...any more suggestion guys?

Thank you in advance.

Aymen

UNCs toy

You have mentioned the weaker spark compared to your other car. Is the plug lead good (spark plug wire ), I don't remember what they should read....

jackpicc

Hi UNC,

Yes the spark seems week but to be honest I don't know how powerful it should look like (right now it looks like a spark you get from a lighter before it ignites)...is that powerful enough?

I have replaced the spark lead and the magento with another one but still the same spark output.

Thank you and I hope to get to the bottom of this soon :( ...

Jackpicc

Phill

jackpicc said:
Hi UNC,Yes the spark seems week but to be honest I don't know how powerful it should look like (right now it looks like a spark you get from a lighter before it ignites)...is that powerful enough?

I have replaced the spark lead and the magento with another one but still the same spark output.

Thank you and I hope to get to the bottom of this soon :( ...

Jackpicc
Sounds good enough

It doesn't take much to ignite fuel

jackpicc

Hi there,

Thanks for the replies.

I tried the gas down the spark plug whole but nothing happened - still no pop sound or anything :( ...

I'm beginning to think this car is jinxed...

So far tried 2 set of spark plugs, 2 sets of magento and spark plug cable, 2 sets of kill switches, 2 sets of fuel...the only thing that I haven't yet try is to buy a new one :( ....

Thanks and please keep the suggestions coming.

Jackpicc

Phill

I know exactly how you feel

I mucked around with mine for 3 months and eveventually gave up and bought a 4 bolt Zenoah motor.

It seems some people have no problems and others like you and I have nothing BUT problems

Phill

One more thing to try

Is the woodruf key in the flywheel?

If the flywheel has moved on the shaft it will be firing but at the wrong time

jackpicc

Thanks for the replies guys.

Phil, I have checked the nut and it is firmly stuck onto the flywheel.

Nitrodad, I try to start it in the same way that I use from my other buggy (not Redcat)...I firstly push the fuel bulb once of twice and then once I know there is fuel circulating ; I then close the primer (vertical position) then I pull the starter; it should then sound like a pop ; once that happens I would then open the primer (horizontal position) and pull again and it would fully start.

However, with this buggy there is no pop sound or anything when I pull the starter (it's just hard to pull, it's so easy to pull when the spark is out but as soon as I put the spark plug in it becomes hard to pull - I know you said this is a sign of flooding but I have deflooded it for hours and hours and still no pop).

Thanks

Jackpicc

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

I'm sorry Jack but I'm lost for ideas now.

Since you have another buggy I'm assuming you've set the needles correctly.

Is there a LHS that could have a look at it for you or maybe Redcat themselves?

G

jackpicc said:
Thanks for the replies guys.Phil, I have checked the nut and it is firmly stuck onto the flywheel.

Nitrodad, I try to start it in the same way that I use from my other buggy (not Redcat)...I firstly push the fuel bulb once of twice and then once I know there is fuel circulating ; I then close the primer (vertical position) then I pull the starter; it should then sound like a pop ; once that happens I would then open the primer (horizontal position) and pull again and it would fully start.

However, with this buggy there is no pop sound or anything when I pull the starter (it's just hard to pull, it's so easy to pull when the spark is out but as soon as I put the spark plug in it becomes hard to pull - I know you said this is a sign of flooding but I have deflooded it for hours and hours and still no pop).

Thanks

Jackpicc
You won't always hear a pop.

-Pull the plug and turn it upside down, now give it a few pulls with it upside down with the plug out.

-Leave the plug out overnight.

-Reinstall the plug (next day)

-Push the fuel bulb a few times as normal.

-Close the choke.

-Give it two pulls. No more.

-Open choke.

-It should now start with the next two or three pulls.

jackpicc

Hi guys,

RCdad I tried what you said and still not starting :confused:

The only update so far is that the starter gave up and I replaced it with an electric (drill starter) upgrade. This made it easier for me to carry on trying to start this thing.

I have noticed that there was some fuel being leaked (very small amount) in between the cariburrator and the main head....so I tightened the screws and it seems fine so far...could this be the problem (or hint of the problem).

Also, I have noticed that the spark on the spark plug has stopped with an occasional spark....so I just ordered a new one just in case.

Local...thank you for your suggestion; how do I check if it is the piston (and where is the ring by the way)?

Thank you

Jackpicc

G

It definitely sounds like you have a mechanical issue. Air leaks can cause the problems.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts