• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Going crazy - Dunerunner not starting (no Spark) at ALL

jackpicc

Hi there,

I just got a Dunerunner and it started great on the first time:cool: .

I run it in for about a tank then stopped it.

Another week or so goes by; then I try to start it but there is no spark whatsoever :confused: .

I kept on trying to start it and the pull start was very hard to pull; and I ended up breaking the plastic turning bit inside :( . I ended up buying a new metal pull starter.

Anyhow, I went through all the posts in here and tried the following with no success:

1) I have check the Kill Switch – it is not stuck in anyway.

2) I double checked both the red and black leads that are attached to the kill button and the magneto.

3) I have also vented the tank.

4) I also did the business card trick with the magento to ensure there is good spacing between it and the flywheel.

So I thought its best to post a thread on here to see what you experts think...as I am no expert and just want this thing to work

Thanks a lot guys in advance:)

Jackpicc

cordy

Welcome to the forum.Well check your plug wire make shure its seated in the coil and has not come loose. You may have a bad coil. Do you have an extra coil to swap out? Put in a new plug.Hope this helps.

BertR

If its hard to pull ....your coil may have been loose and fallen onto the fly wheel and that will mess with the spark and pulling abilities

G

If it gets harder to pull after a few pulls, it is flooded.

Pull the plug check if it is wet. If yes it is flooded. Leave the plug out overnight and let the cylinder dry out.

Never give it more than 2 pulls with the choke on.

Check the carb settings and set to the base settings if needed.

The factory spark plugs are hit and miss. Now would be a good time to replace it.

It is also possible to have a bad coil but this is rare. Try a new plug first.

Good luck.

Chief409

I had a brand new kill button fail. Felt OK, but no spark. Put in one from the parts box, spark. If you pull the leads off it and stick a wire in the clips, and get a spark, there you go. Or use a ohm meter and check the button, should show 0 ohms not pressed.

phreerider

keep it simple to find solutions.... fire and fuel

check for fire- remove plug hold electrode close to head(or with fresh plug attached) spark should jump across when pulled. got spark? go to fuel flow. the plug is out so its easy pull...and if the plug is wet u obviously have fuel flow.

no spark w/o plug ---->check coil tolerances, if good and repeat for spark--> fail ---> replace coil. cheap and easy..(kill switch up with tension if doubting it drop it, kill by grounding to head or choke on intake

fuel flow--->stage in bulb(gas in bulb pump?) if not chase to tank, pick up, lines etc...

u should have air filter off so you can see whats going on, you pull it, it should spray(or wet intake and cylinder and plug) you should be able to smell it. got flow ? open needles til u do, closing the low end a fraction til pop, it will help it fire. once it pops, after alot of fiddling stop! wait for fuel to evap (about10min) plug out...IF U got fire and flow it will start. if everything is wet theres too much fuel, butterfly may be bent broken allowing too much draw to start cold.

carb problems---> needle broken in jet seat...u can repair....but carb replacement is the way to go.

these are simple little motors, no magic, just fire and fuel

good luck

jackpicc

Thank you very much guys for the help.

I have tried a brand new plug but the same problem exists, and I have even tried the old plug from redcat onto another model and it worked fine.

I have yet to check the coil though; how do I do that :eek: (to see if its good or bad)?

I will try the other suggestions (kill switch (taking it apart) and double check the carbs settings) and the fire/fuel procedure stated by phreerider; and get back to you shortly.

Thank you once more:).

Jackpicc

phreerider

remove plug , allow electrode to arc on head or you hold it and let bite you when you pull it... that you know. no tool needed pure education

alfred e numan

The coils electrical measurements in Ohms.

One time - the dog was pissing on the lawnmower -- Here are the electrical specs for the coil. Coil air gap. 0.3 0.4 mm. Coil resistance in ohms. Primary- .07 Reading between primary terminal and iorn core. Secondary- 6100 ohms. -one test leadin the spark plug cap- the other lead to the iorn core. plug gap- 0.6- 0.7 mm. Hope this helps. One day- i will tell the tale about the time a fellow dirt biker became tangled in a electric fence- soaking wet to boot!!!

G

One time - the dog was pissing on the lawnmower
I know it's off topic, but where's the rest of the story. LOL Too Funny.

I think this could be considered bait & switch. :D

phreerider

sometimes dogs make decent tools as well..enlightenment arriving ...dog knows the coil is good!

alfred e numan

Yea, its something sorta like Pavlovs dogs, except instead of assoaiting the ringing of a bell with slobbering for food--- the cranking of the mower with never hiking its leg on anything. squat to pee-- lol.

jackpicc

Hi guys,

Sorry for the late reply again...it took a while to get a new coil.

After replacing the coil; still no success :( ...

I have followed the fire>fuel method and have removed the spark plug but no sparks are seen anywhere (the pull is easy to do without the plug and gets harder as soon as I put the plug back on).

I have also tried a new plug and still no luck.

Just spent 3 hours on it and I even removed the kill switch (the two connections) to make sure it is not it - but that didnt solve it.

Right now I don't have a clue on what to try next (as it seems I have tried everything :( )... :( :confused:

thanks

jackpicc

jackpicc

Thanks Chief.

I have just tried starting it again with the specified spark plug gap but still no luck; I kept on moving the spark plug coil at different gaps and still nothing.

I have another petrol buggy and that fires straight away; and you can hear the spark...but with this one NO SPARK noise at all - the engine keeps on turning when pulled but no spark :(

Thanks...any other suggestions?

Jackpicc :(

Chief409

Have you tried the coil from the other buggy on this one. If it fires off, there is the problem. If it doesn't the magnets are too weak, new flywheel time or the coil is misadjusted. I'd talk to Redcat if it's a bad flywheel, they're good with warranty support. I've had a bad ignition lead and a brand new kill button cause a no spark condition. Setting the coil with a business card is all the adjustment needed there, make sure the magnets suck the coil down before you tighten it in place. I've tried replacing ignition leads, gave that up as a bad idea. At least for me.

Last edited by a moderator:

jackpicc

Thank you Chief.

So a bit of development - I could see a faint blue spark out of the spark plug (I followed the spark fuel process from phreerider as before)...but the process says go to the fuel bulb - but when I look at it there is no fuel inside and I keep on pressing the bulb more and more but nothing happens...what is the cause of this? And could this explain why the pull is hard and the no start situation?

Thank you all once more...

Jackpicc

G

If the pull starter gets harder to pull its normally a sign of flooding. It's caused by too much fuel in the case. The bulb needs to stay at least 1/2 full of fuel. Is the clunk filter submerged in fuel at the bottom of the tank?

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts