• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

gearbox lube??

blak__jak

I've read quite a few threads about changing out the lube in the front and rear gearboxes and this is something I've been meaning to do but just haven't gotten around to. well when running my d/r on pavement the other day I noticed that when I let off the gas it seemed as if I was applying the brakes slightly because it was slowing down quicker than I thought it should. I checked for anything binding and found nothing but after taking a few things apart and getting down to the front gearbox there seems to be a lot of drag when you try to spin it with nothing else attached to it which kinda makes me think that whatever inside it for lube is more like paste rather than oil. my question is do you have to take the gearbox apart to clean it out or can you just put some kind of solvent in though the fill hole to rinse out the crap and refill and if I do take it apart will I be able to reuse the gasket.

rcgasser

Whats in there from stock is some kind of thick grease it does run better with diff oil yes you will have to take the gear box and the diff apart. You want to take out the gears on the inside of the diff and clean the gears of all the junk thats on it and clean out the diffs then refill with diff oil and the gasket will be ok to reuse. The thinner diff oil you use in the front will make it turn quicker and easier and a thicker oil in the rear.

G

There is the ring and pinion in the case and the diff gears in the diff.

The ring and pinion should get some good sticky grease. I have found these to be dry from the factory.

The diff is where the fluid will get installed. This is where the sludge is. You need to do a full tare down to replace the fluid.

Dreggsta

i used lucas oil stabilizer in the diff box (planetary gear) bc of how i seen them perform w/gears in other mechanical uses. it is very sticky & allows easier gear lube & mesh. those gears do move but not as much as the gear box (ring & pinion) do. in those i used lucas red n' tacky #2. this grease has great qualities & is good stuff. also marine grade style in that it doesn't milk w/water. i know i am using something different than the model stuff but how different can this stuff really be?

Motakitty

I use valvoline red grease for wheel bearings for real cars for the ring and pinion I always have it works great. I figure if it's good enough for real cars then it works for rcs plus a tub of it is like $5 and I've had it for years

redthomas

Was thinking about popping the seals off my bearings any packing them. But I was afraid the grease would push the seals back out, so I opened them and filled them with lithium grease.. wandering if that's gonna be good enough..?

Dreggsta

redthomas said:
Dreggsta, how's that lucaus work? I too rather use real world stuff then a boutique oil sold special for hobbies..
so far no probs at all & i've been pretty hard on my xt. when i broke the drive cup at the set screw i was at the beach bashing really hard bouncing my truck all overthe uneven beach. when i replaced all the diff bearings w/boca bearings i packed the ring & pinion cases full as i could w/the lucas red n' tacky #2.

kur

Except for the people using grease, the test of you are talking about using silicone diff fluid right? What weights are you guys using?

Phill

RCDAD said:
There is the ring and pinion in the case and the diff gears in the diff.The ring and pinion should get some good sticky grease. I have found these to be dry from the factory.

The diff is where the fluid will get installed. This is where the sludge is. You need to do a full tare down to replace the fluid.

I find my rear diff is pretty warm after a run

Is there anything in there from the factory?

Do I need to take it apart to lubricate or is there a filler hole?

Thanks Guys

G

Inside the actual diff is filled with some sticky grease. If you tare it down it should be replaced with diff fluid. You will notice an improvement in handling. The ring and pinion can take grease.

Phill

The way it's getting warm I'm wondering if there's anything in there at all or is it normal to get warm?

I just noticed it when I picked it up and could feel the warmth in the chassis under the rear diff.

It was quite free and not binding at all.

Front one seemed OK.

G

Most of the time I have found the ring and pinion to be dry when I first open them up. That will cause it to get warm. However, I have never found them to be worn even after a year of them running dry.

Phill

RCDAD said:
Most of the time I have found the ring and pinion to be dry when I first open them up. That will cause it to get warm. However, I have never found them to be worn even after a year of them running dry.
Thanks RC

That's reassuring knowing that I don't have to pull it to bits just after I've got it running. :D

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts