• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Gear Plate Upgrade

aoennn

Hi guys,

I'm trying to remove my old gear plate. It's not damaged but I looked around and it seemed the stock one is prone to catastrophic failures.

I'm kind of confused on how to remove the plate. I unscrewed the big 3 screws, the little 4 screws, removed the nuts on the three gears and now the square nuts are exposed. If I try to turn the screw that comes out the engine (connected to the crankshaft/flywheel/clutch), everything spins behind it. (I also removed 2 screws that sit above the brake).

I also removed the two screws that go into the square nut but the thing won't budge. Any ideas guys?

I looked around the forums but couldn't find a discussion on my particular issue.

I'm installing the upgraded one. It comes with the bearings from RampageShop.

Thanks!

aoennn

Ok a little update--

The square nut on the shaft that drives the wheels popped out very easily as soon as I removed the two screws inside it.

But the one coming from the engine is being horrible! It won't come out and when it moves, the clutch wiggles with it... If I try to move it out, it's like the clutch bell wants to come out with it too.

Any tips?

aoennn

Ok, I managed to pull out the stock gear plate. It came out with the clutch bell. Somehow that strikes me as "not supposed to happen" but there lol

The square drive on the other side of the clutch bell is still not coming out though...

Sorry for running this thread by myself guys! Just trying to keep the info up to date.

BertR

The clutch bell is supposed to come off with the gear plate. It is not attached to the motor but simply halos the clutch shoes until the rpm gets high enough to expand the clutch and engage the bell in turn go power.

aoennn

Is the clutch bell supposed to be reusable with the new gear plate? I'm absolutely baffled at trying to pull it out of the old gear plate. The square drive won't come out and just about nothing else works.

Am I supposed to buy a new one to fit on the new gear plate?

Thanks

phreerider

keep at it ..this is a good portion of the hobby, gotta learn to break it down,

ALWAYS! go back with blue thread lock on set screws and metal/metal spots.

use heat to break out factory locked threads, or you'll be drilling.

good luck

phreerider

once the ALL the set screws on the square drive are out it will come off. and as BERT states, bell comes with the gear plate, actually very tidy setup.

BertR

It may have some factory locktite on the shaft! that is giving you trouble and may need to heat the bell shaft to get it out or smack the end of the shaft to bop it out of the old plate. After you get it out rub down that area with steel wool or 1000 grit to smooth it over for reinstalling the bell.

aoennn

Thanks you all very much for the great tips. Gonna get back at it with some heating and a little smacking. Will update you guys on the progress.

aoennn

Success! After a bit of heat and prying out, the square drive slid out.

After some difficulty and frustration, the new gear plate is in! Tested the car it behaved nicely.

Time to put in the Jetpro pipe now!

Thanks a lot for the help guys.

BertR

Good to hear ... now take the car completely apart and I mean every part and re assemble it lol. Time tinkering with your kit is more than mantling it to some of us.I have just as much fun wrenching as I do driving it.

aoennn

Jetpro pipe in. Drove the car for a nice long distance as well.

Had a little mishap where the pipe came off but thankfully I was close and switched the motor off. I found out I didn't tighten the two fasteners well. Tightened them up and ripped up the street! Lots of power, sideways 80% of the time lol

I was a bit reluctant to open the thing up but I'm a lot more confident about it now.

Again, thanks for the help guys! :)

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.