• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Gas tank venting

claude bigelow

While I was running the new engine it started off great. After about 20min the motor bogged out. I tried everything to get it back started. Then I took off the gas cap and put it back on and it started with no problem. Do I need to make the hole in cap bigger? After a while had the same problem again. So I took cap a loose, put it back and it ran good again. So my question is do I need that snappy RC system? Or is there another way to correct problem?

Ebb75

Sure it works. I like to use the three hole gromet and just run a piece of fuel line for the vent and use a filter on the end. This way it vents both ways.

Ebb75

I just run the vent line up the cage a bit then back down below the tank so if you roll, fuel doesn't leak out.

claude bigelow

Just got this today, ill watch the video a couple of times and tackle this next week.

Ebb75

Yup that will work. I cut the fittings for the pick up line and return. And don't use a fitting for the vent line.

Personal preference.

claude bigelow

Ebb75 said:
Yup that will work. I cut the fittings for the pick up line and return. And don't use a fitting for the vent line. Personal preference.

Ok thanks more questions to follow once I get ready to start.

Thanks

Ebb75

The return and vent line you don't want sitting in fuel when tank is full. Pick up line leave long enough you can slide a piece of fuel line on it from the inside to run to the bottom of tank with filter on the end.

Ebb75

claude bigelow said:
So do I use the stock filter, or was I suppose to order a nee one?
you can use the stock filter on the end of the line that you connect to the brass fitting inside the tank. The brass is to long so just need to shorten it and put a piece of fuel line on it to go to bottom of tank with filter on the end

claude bigelow

Ebb75 said:
you can use the stock filter on the end of the line that you connect to the brass fitting inside the tank. The brass is to long so just need to shorten it and put a piece of fuel line on it to go to bottom of tank with filter on the end
Thanks man, I guess it will all make more since to me when I actually get started. I'll keep you posted.

T3X

Claude, where did u get those fittings from?

xsocruz

On my old cars I did something similar. But with my new cars I just don't over tight my gas cap. I just turn to close it but not too tight so that the vent cap gets to work. I read somewhere that over tightning the cap will not help the vent hole on the cap to work properly. Anyways, its been working for me so far.

claude bigelow

xsocruz said:
On my old cars I did something similar. But with my new cars I just don't over tight my gas cap. I just turn to close it but not too tight so that the vent cap gets to work. I read somewhere that over tightning the cap will not help the vent hole on the cap to work properly. Anyways, its been working for me so far.
I do the same thing, really does work. I still haven't installed the kit yet.

cs49230

xsocruz said:
Tried it, fortunately the chassis caught the cap both times it came off! Then I just drilled a 3/32" hole in the rubber plug, to come back with some brass tubing later. So far I've run with just the hole just fine with no major leakage issues but it hasn't been flipped either.

BertR

The snappy vent kit is far superior for a vent system! The ability to route the vent line down and away from the chassis keeps it nice and clean in a roll over with no mess running down the side of the tank like what the cap hole will do.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts