• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Gas Cap Vent Needed...?

brio

Hey guys. I've been reading the existing posts about gas cap vent but I'm not sure if this is a symptom. BTW I don't have the Gas cap vent, its stock cap. I run the truck for maybe 1 and half tanks, shut it down normally for various reasons. I then try to restart cold and it will not fire up. I pull pull pull and nothing, check plug, its good. Open gas cap, hear pressure releasing, pull more times and now pullstart is hard to pull. Remove plug again and pull just in case flooded, no fuel comes out of head. Replace plug, pull start still hard to pull. Stop, wait a few and pull more and it fires up. This whole process usually takes about 7-10min. Any ideas? Greatly appreciated as always.

G

Sounds like multiple issues. The noise from tank means you need to vent. When the pull start gets hard it is a sign of flooding. The vent works both ways to let air in when fuel is consumed and to let air out when the fuel and air is warm inside the tank. If the air and fuel expand and the vent hole in the cap is clogged it will force the fuel into the motor flooding it. Making it hard to restart. Do one of the vent mods first it just may solve both problems. I had the flossing issue also. A aluminum cap did not fix my problem it still clogged. I ran a vent tube from the tank.

rcgasser

+1 on a vent tube from the gas tank. I like this mod better then the vented cap both works well I just prefer the gas tank vent better myself no tube to get in the way while I am filling the gas tank.

brio

I see. Thanks for the quick replies. Question ..on the cap vent mod, I just need to drill the hole thru the plastic part of the top of the cap, right? Not the rubber ball inside. Also, I can just leave the end of the fuel tubing open with the filter before it, like this pic? The fuel wont spill out?

gas_cap_vent.jpg

gas_cap_vent.jpg

/monthly_2011_10/gas_cap_vent.jpg.2aba15b0c72c1cf39843cbf63bf76197.jpg

G

The rubber gets clogged also. This is worked best for me.

---

577c1d8e.jpg

d48967da.jpg

G

What I don't like about the vented cap is the fuel residue that escapes through the vent. I can't stand the mess. I know I sound funny but I'm kinda a neat freak.

G

If you go the tank vent route you can seal up the hole in the cap. Then no more fuel for the dirt to stick to.

DemonRC

RCDAD said:
What I don't like about the vented cap is the fuel residue that escapes through the vent. I can't stand the mess. I know I sound funny but I'm kinda a neat freak.
That's true. I get fuel coming out of mine all the time. It'll actually spit out of the hole on idle if I fill the tank to the top. Not really a big deal but it sure cakes on mud.

k.jensen

RCDAD said:
with the fg (zenoah) cap u don't have that "spill" problem :cool:

FuzzBall03

RCDAD said:
The rubber gets clogged also. This is worked best for me.---

577c1d8e.jpg

d48967da.jpg
Wow is that a clean mod!

I like that.

Did you use 1/4" brass-L's for that? I'm liking the look at funct, I may do that.

G

The end is a reg. filter. I had one laying around. The check valves only are one direction. I needed a way for air to exit the tank when it got hot as I was running into the flooding issues. No need to buy the kit. You can not get the grommet to seal good. I drilled a third hole in the stock grommet. You can buy the snappy brass fittings by them selves. If you use the fittings you need to cut the one used for the vent so it does not extend into the fuel.

DustyR3825

Banned
I used the Snappy RC Kit. I think there grommet is like 8 bucks for the three holer, the Kraken Check Valve is like 10 bucks and I also ordered new Fuel Lines which is like 80 cents a foot. The Grommet is a Freakin Beotch to install compared to a stock one....The Brass fittings cost extra. If I remember correctly around 12 bucks. I purchased all through DDM

DustyR3825

Banned
RCDAD said:
The end is a reg. filter. I had one laying around. The check valves only are one direction. I needed a way for air to exit the tank when it got hot as I was running into the flooding issues. No need to buy the kit. You can not get the grommet to seal good. I drilled a third hole in the stock grommet. You can buy the snappy brass fittings by them selves. If you use the fittings you need to cut the one used for the vent so it does not extend into the fuel.
Yes make sure the vent tube for the kit doesn't go into the fuel. When I first installed mine and fired up my XB that fuel was coming out the vent like crazy. I try to have my line as little as possible through the Grommet....

brio

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll go with the less complicated Gas cap vent like in the pic I posted. Drill a hole in the plastic cap thru the rubber half ball in cap and thread in fuel fitting, attach standard RC fuel hose and filter. Do I need extra hose after filter, like in earlier pic or no? Hopefully that'll work.

G

Thanks for the suggestions but I think I'll go with the less complicated Gas cap vent like in the pic I posted. Drill a hole in the plastic cap thru the rubber half ball in cap and thread in fuel fitting, attach standard RC fuel hose and filter. Do I need extra hose after filter, like in earlier pic or no? Hopefully that'll work.
if you loop the vent tube up to the top of the cage and then down to the chassis. This will stop the draining of fuel in a roll over.

brio

Would this 90 deg fitting work?Or does it have to be like the 2nd pic, secure nut necessary?The 90 deg one is nearby, thats why I'm asking.

pres_fit_2.jpg

press_fitP_.jpg

pres_fit_2.jpg

press_fitP_.jpg

/monthly_2011_11/pres_fit_2.jpg.39f3004e400f94656b987dc47fcab181.jpg

/monthly_2011_11/press_fitP_.jpg.ce43eb390a670ab2968172cbb1b7c5b8.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts