• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

fuel question

crazyfast

Not sure if ya'll know much about the relationship of octane to compression (it's actually quite important to run proper octane), but does anyone know what the compression is of the factory engine, and does Redcat suggest a specific octane?

Also lets hear what brand of oil mix ya'll run?!

Thanks guys!

G

Agreed. 87 is fine for the factory engine. Higher octane will not increase performance.

I still use 5 oz of oil per gal.

alfred e numan

Some of these engines we use have quite high compression ratios. Approaching 17-1. in some cases. We can get away with running lower octane gas because there is such a small area in the combustion chamber, and being a 2 stroke helps also. Example- With a full size race engine running these kinds of compression ratios and even running high dollar race gas, you would be lucky to get outta the garage without melting down the dome of the pistons @ 17 to 1 compression ratio. Also, when tuning a carbed engine keep in mind that a cold engine runs lean- becomes richer as it comes up to running temp. knowing this helps chase the ideal tune.

phreerider

i get the marine ethanol free, i think 87, but not sure, and run gas/oil 28:1 full syn. maybe a couple gallons 32:1,

tolerates long runs, cools down quick 28:1 allows good rev to power and clean!

keep it mixed, keep it fresh makes all super dependable, definitely temp sensitive thru full tank heat cycle. i usually run a 15min full hard run, then 1min idle to cool down, then finish tank out ending with 1min. slow to idle cool. kill while hot is punishing to the mill..always try to refire immediately and run to cool at idle.

alfred e numan

there is not one single drop of junk gas- ethanol blend in anything i own here- dodge d-50, ford van, suzuki swift, chain saw, weed eater, lawn mower,r-c cars. I refuse to play into this scam. Out on the 216 exit- arrow head truck stop- indian owned- state of the art place- I have a rewards on the rez card- 5% discount. Includes non ethanol gas. $4.05 a gallon. In kennewick, Walla walla and more and more places non ethanol is the best selling gas- Conoco branded-$3.99 a gallon. Wanna know how to tell is running junk gas? just look at the tail pipes of the rigs in front of you accelerating fron a stop light.- the fricken water is dripping outta the exhaust. also, the pipes are sooty black.- I show people the exhause color on my suzuki- ford van- I get a white paper towel, wipe the inside of the tip of the exhaust- the paper towel comes out white. Non ethanol is good for 8 to 10% better mpg also. -- makes the r-c cars run much better also. The entire country should boycott the ethanol blended junk- It would be a thing of the past in short order. --- just my not so humble opinion.-------

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts