• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

FS dog bones

fastlane

Team Driver
The Fs bones are beefier than the redcats and seem to work well. No More pin retainers. I think I have solved a major problem I had with the lay shaft also.

fastlane

Team Driver
15xr5fl.jpg I removed a brake disc and used washers to compensate. My reason for this is the bind that the second disc was causing to the lay shaft. I also used a 1/4" piece of fuel line to get the correct spacing. If the disc slips off the square coupler on to the round part it has a negative pull on the lay shaft.

fastlane

Team Driver
ay60k1.jpg here is where I used the fuel line to space the brakes where I wanted them

fastlane

Team Driver
wcbw3c.jpg Here is the single disc set up. It stops just as well with no lay shaft wobble. I burnt 2 sets of gears before I figured out what was causing the gear burn. I ran 2 full tanks today had a blast and for the first time in a while I HAD NO BRAKE DOWNS! Shaft is perfect and gears still new. Man I love that pipe! Well worth the $$

nepili

which FS dogbones are u using?

And used for instead which dogbone on rampage?

Please

fastlane

Team Driver
so far I have not had any issues. normally I'd run it and before I was finished it would crap out on me. Of course as you all know I run plastic gears. So any off set and I'd burn a new set up.

volitan

How about putting an extra bearing in the gear plate just after before the d shaft?

I mesured it and it would be 19 odx 8 ID x 6 width.They sell a bearing MR698-ZZ or 19x8x6 mm sheilded bearing.Im gonna get one in the morning locally and give it a try.IT would support that shaft a bit better in sure and prevent any misalignement.I just find it odd that they is only 1 bearing there

csp1971

Contributor
Great mod fastlane, I'm going to try it out once I clear some junk off the bench.

fastlane

Team Driver
Yeah one bearing in the gear plate as well. The wobble also comes from the brake square. The coupling that holds the 2 piece shaft together and the brakes ride on. Those FS dog bone is a cheaper alternative to mcd bones. I went to the mcd forum and they're even using FS bones.

volitan

I just got from my LHS a mr698ZZ 19odx8 idx6 widght and it fits like a glove!!!That shaft does not move at anymore

fastlane

Team Driver
so you used a 19x8x6? I noticed a big change in my ramp when I used metal gears. They weren't true at all. Out of round and tight fitting only in certain spots. You will see a difference when you run it if you have the problem settled. Watch out for your brake discs. Thats the reason for my mod. The bearing is a great mod also. Keep me posted After you run it. I may do the same. Oh did you do the gear plate as well?

Last edited by a moderator:

volitan

I didnt do the gear plate.But I took it appart to do your mod and I realized that there isnt enough support to keep it all true and tight.I also drilled and installed another grub screw 180 degrees on the side of the gear plate(outboard).

But now I have installed everything and the center differential it really rough.Thats without it connected to the gear plate.Is there a way to shims it?

I will have everything appart again tomorow or the day after,I will take a picture of the bearing installed.Yes the bearing is a 19odx8idx6width.you should be able to get that at any bearing shop.

But normally when you take the gear plate of that shaft is loose until you install it in with the brakes and all that drivetrain.With the second bearing in there the shaft is rock solid..the bearing just pushes in perfectly....just snug:)

cybermonk

hi fastlane, you are driving the plastic gears? do they last?

i´m thinking of ordering the fs-bones, so i have some in stock, but i think i will drive my mt first time in march, damn winter...

at least i have time to bild my truck up, so far i painted the body, i think for my first paintjob not to to bad. i will post some pictures soon, but i had a hard day today, i was digging myself through all the pics and vids in the forum

volitan

Heres the picture of the extra bearing.But before yo try it let me comfirm something.Ive spent hrs and hrs trying to get my center differential to turn smoothly and I just can't.I have a feeling that the shaft need to be a little slopy to correct for any misalignment.I will take the bearing off tonight and try again without the bearing

IMG_6702.jpg

/monthly_2009_12/IMG_6702.jpg.8cd9cd43d8583b7827ae5c9cd5c35e0d.jpg

fastlane

Team Driver
cybermonk said:
hi fastlane, you are driving the plastic gears? do they last?
i´m thinking of ordering the fs-bones, so i have some in stock, but i think i will drive my mt first time in march, damn winter...

at least i have time to bild my truck up, so far i painted the body, i think for my first paintjob not to to bad. i will post some pictures soon, but i had a hard day today, i was digging myself through all the pics and vids in the forum
Yeah I run the plastics. I have tried those "out of round" steel gears and won't be doing that again. Yes the plastics last as long as you vent the cover or run with out one. Little rocks can tear chunks out of your plastic gears so if you run down gravel roads use a cover. FS bone are the sh@%!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.