• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Front hub bearing pre-load adjustment?

MrMeatHooks

Hey guys,

I noticed today that one of the front hubs has bearing play, while the other does not. Examining the hubs, I did not see anything that alows for pre-load adjustment. I'll describe what I see..

There is the hub, inner and outer sealed ball bearings, drive cup and hex nut for the wheel to slide over. Also, there is a pin going through the hex ( I am assuming to hold the pieces together ) and a set screw inside the axle tube. Im wondering if there is any way to tighten this assembly up so the hub does not rock up and down. I find it wierd how one side is tight, and the other has play, with fixed components. I was thinking maybe the bearings one the tight side may not be pressed all the way.

Also, this truck is new. Any ideas would be great. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

Bill_G

The best thing to do is use shims to eliminate excess play/slop with just a tic of play. You don't want any preload as this will create too much friction for these little bearings.

MrMeatHooks

Great call Bill. I was not aware of shims for these, but will look into it. I guess preload was not the right word, sorry for that. I should of explained better. I realize ball bearings do not need adjusting, like a roller bearing, it is the hub that is loose. The shims will work for sure and im sure I can get some @ .005-.010" Thanks for the tip!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts