• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Flooding

Phill

Hi Guys

I'm having flooding probs

The car starts OK and runs but as soon as I back off the throttle it stalls and won't start.

I've gotten to the point that I've pulled the Walbro off and put the stock carb back on to see if it made any difference but it hasn't

The Walbro was sticking at part throttle anyway.

I'm running 25:1 fuel : oil.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Phill

G

You say flooding.

Is the plug wet after it stalls?

G

Sounds like its just too rich. What are your needle settings?

Phill

RCDAD said:
Sounds like its just too rich. What are your needle settings?
Hi Dad

1 1/2 LSN - 1 1/4HSN

Had the Walbro set at the same with same result

What I can't figure is that it was running then I overheated it. It started after that but now it's playing games.

Started yesterday afternoon and ran for a few minutes til I backed off and now it won't start again.

I've had it all apart again this morning and still no go.

When I look in the plug hole I can see fuel/oil? around the ring.

The pool is looking like a good place to park it at the moment

Phill

I'd just like to add that I've had this car for about 2 mths now and am yet to get a full tank of fuel through it at any one time without something going wrong.

Including the factory one I'm on my 3rd head gasket.

The current problem has me stumped - I've got spark , compression and too much fuel

G

That is too rich on the low.

Base settings:

1 1/4 low.

1 1/2 high.

You need to leave the plug out for awhile to let the access fuel evaporate.

If it really bad you can turn it upside-down and give it a few pulls with the plug out.

Phill

Thanks Dad

I've actually got it sitting out in the sun with plug out now.

It's 35C here today so it should get the crap out.

Chief409

This might help.

I'm using 990 carbs, it helped me tons!

Another thing. If you're at or higher then a elevation of 2000 feet, or running in high temp (+110 deg F) you will need to run leaner then the stock settings. Get it started on the Low, get that set, then start running and tuning the High. I live at an elevation of 2500', and last engine I was breaking in, the temp was 110F. Talk about fouling a plug because it was rich getting the High set. I had to pick the buggy up, and rev it after each tweak run to blow it out until I got it set. Had to keep saying "NO large change to Lean". It was hard. But worth it when I put the sand paddles on and went running!

Brings up something else. Tomorrow I'm headed to San Francisco. Sea Level and 80 deg F. Guess what, back to stock settings, and retune. Every time you make large changes from your area, or you haven't run since last summer, and now snow is on the ground, you have to retune the carb. Remember the stock settings. 1 1/8, 1 5/8 for my 990 carbs. 1 1/4, 1 1/2 for stock 668 carbs.

Let 'em rip, and leave them in your smoke!

Last edited by a moderator:

Phill

After leaving it in the sun all day it doesn't even sound like it wants to fire

I have 2 plugs both showing good spark but don't know if they're firing under compression so I'll buy anther one in the morning.

Another thing that may be the main prob is that in that video chief sent the guy doesn't touch the throttle when starting.

I've been trying to start with WOT

Could this be causing the flooding?

BertR

I would say thats your problem rite there..Lien the low out a smidg and blip the throttle 1 or 2 times if its cold and been sitting then yank that pig.. No throttle starts ..you are soaking your plug before the second pull

Phill

Thanks Guys

Got it started and it ran for about 30 secs before stopping with a wet plug again.

It spat heaps of unburnt oil out the exhaust (more like the consistency of grease) so I have taken the pipe (stock can) off and washed it through with fuel.

Looking in the exhaust port I see more of this greasy oil on the piston skirt.

Haven't put the pipe back on yet.

Any suggestions before I do?

Thanks

Ildy666

I know u said ur mixing at 25:1 but it sounds like ur mixing it rich.maybe mix a new batch maybe try 32:1 and put a new plug in and reset ur needles.see if that works.

Phill

Thanks Idly

It's obviously been running too much oil for too long

I might see if I can get a hotter plug too just to clean it out

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts