• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Few questions: gas cap mod and Heat treating

Wicked

Hey guys I just want to know if you guys heat treated the diff joint cups and axles? also how did you cool them. Just heat them up with a torch and let them cool in the air or did you quench them in oil or water?

As for the gas cap mod what exactly do I need? part numbers would be great. Pix to :)

Thanks in advance as I am getting into this project now.

I took the engine out last night and just had to sit the OBR in :D

Here's were its at now.

DemonRC

I wouldn't heat the diff cups themselves. They need to stay hard so that the dogbone pins don't eat into them. Just do the shaft to purple or silver as Moo recommended and let them air cool. Quenching is only used in the hardening process which we want to avoid in this situation.

Wicked

Hrmmmm. Not the cups? Is that what we usally have all the problems with? Up till now I have been ok but I know that 30.5 I have now is going to mess things up.

DemonRC

I've only busted the cup once and that was due to the suspension arm breaking which caused the dogbone to pop out and jam up between the aluminum steering knuckle and the outer axle cup. It immediatly locked and the diff cup shattered. I've busted the shaft numerous times though. In my opinion we should temper the shafts and leave the cup as hard as it can be and then use a support ring like TR does with their HD diff cups. CAT5 diff cup sleeves should also work.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sprint 77

Contributor
I have no issues with my diff cups and I am running a stroker motor (35 bore 30 stroke) tuned and race ported. I had all my metal "toasted" at the local heat treat shop. the parts are as catchaser says to hard the heat treat needs to come out.

I run the CVD and Cat 5 drive cup retainer sleeves.

My friends swear my motor is 30.5 after I walk all over thiers.

fastlane

Team Driver
my gas cap mod

all I did was take a lawn mower fuel filter and a piece of 1/4" fuel line and drilled the cap so the fuel line would fit tightly and put the filter on top of that. you use a nipple when you bring it in the house and you get no fumes.

fastlane

Team Driver
hope this helps you I don't know about the gears but I guess I need to read up since I am buying next week I put the filter to keep grass dirt and whatever out of my fuel

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts