• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

EZ-Run Pro

bigfol

Vision said:
http://www.hobbywing.com/product_show.asp?id=239Anyone have any experience with this esc ?. Wonder how it compares to our V1 esc.
I have had 2 of these in my xbe,both went up in smoke in the first 5 mins, running on 6s geared 12/44. I think the weak point is the internal BEC, It cant handle the the bigger servo that is run in this buggy, I have since gone with the caslte XL-2 running 8s, best purchase I ever made. :cool:

Vision

Wow that sucks. Thank you for the feedback though, I was about to purchase it. I guess the version 1 150amp esc is better.

What motor are you running with the XL2?

DemonRC

Everything I heard about the new XL is that is pretty reliable now.

bigfol

Vision said:
Any issues with the XL2 ?. Wonder if they worked out the bugs yet, hmmm
Well until yesterday it was all going fine,I adjusted the bec voltage from 5.5 to 6 volts and it took a dive,it started cogging and then nothing just sits there making a ticking noise, I rang castle today and they are sending a brand new ESC XL2 express post to me,they were really concerned with what had happened to it, they told me they had not had any XL2 failures and wanted to get mine back to them ASAP,sounds like they don't want any more bad press....Can't fault their customer service though, has anyone else had any issues with the Castle XL-2. :confused:

bigfol

Keith81 said:
that sucks to hear but nothing like great customer service!!!
Got the XL back, up graded all batt and esc connectors to 8mm plugs(should have had 8mm on the esc /motor in the first place) add castles extra cap bank as well, all is working great, not cogging, super smooth,happy happy happy! If anyone is having cogging issues with your castle XL 2 , update to 8mm brass connectors and add the extra caps bank and make sure your soldering is solid, seems to sort the issues out. :cool:

bigfol

Well back to the drawing board, my second XL2 let out a puff of white smoke after a 5 minute run,its really starting to tick me off now,I just want a esc that can handle 8s and work for more than one run. Sending this one back to castle again, going to get some new 65-130c turnigy batts, gear down a bit more and and also try one of HK's turnigy 780kv motors,some say they are running a lot cooler than the leopard 5692 1090kv I'm currenty running....... :( :( :(

Ol' fart

Huuuu???

bigfol said:
Got the XL back, up graded all batt and esc connectors to 8mm plugs(should have had 8mm on the esc /motor in the first place) add castles extra cap bank as well, all is working great, not cogging, super smooth,happy happy happy! If anyone is having cogging issues with your castle XL 2 , update to 8mm brass connectors and add the extra caps bank and make sure your soldering is solid, seems to sort the issues out. :cool:
"add the extra caps bank "

You lost me here,what is it please???

bigfol

It is meant to reduce ripple current coming back from your batteries, when I checked the logged data on my xl2 esc, it said my max ripple current was 3.2, I don't if this is considered to high or ok, yet. anyone????

Last edited by a moderator:

twissted

Banned
I just bought a xb-e

And have plans to get a lot of speed out of it. I currently have the LRP SPX 8

KGrHqFHJBEE8iNONBPRWD7RCOg60_1.jpg

it rated at 760+ amps and cost less. Since I owen it, I'm going with it. as for the motors I think the 5692 1320kv is where I'm looking. I hope that your money pit works out. I'll keep up with this post as I'm hoping this is a problem that I will not see.

KGrHqZjoE3NQh3hCzBODP0bUC5_3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

bigfol

twissted said:
And have plans to get a lot of speed out of it. From what I have read that esc is only good for up 14.8volts(4s).

You might want to reconsider getting the castle MMM esc its good for up to 22.2volts(6s) and pretty cheap on ebay, make sure you gear down to keep temps under control.

The esc you want to use is made for a 1/8th scale vehicle, you are going to

burn it out pretty quick IMO.

Do yourself a favour the first time you run it, do so without the cover, if the esc fails and catches fire(like mine did) you wont stuff your cover.

Good luck.

bigfol

bigfol said:
Well back to the drawing board, my second XL2 let out a puff of white smoke after a 5 minute run,its really starting to tick me off now,I just want a esc that can handle 8s and work for more than one run. Sending this one back to castle again, going to get some new 65-130c turnigy batts, gear down a bit more and and also try one of HK's turnigy 780kv motors,some say they are running a lot cooler than the leopard 5692 1090kv I'm currenty running....... :( :( :(
Well the new turnigy 1000kv motor I installed is running great, the temps are low, the ripple current is low and the amp draw is a lot lower than with the leopard, I have stuck with 6s and fitted a new hardend steel 45t spur and a 14t pinion, really smooth running, big smiles all round;)

twissted

Banned
well I got my XB-E

I ran My rampage after charging the batteries with my two chargers. After the run I took out the steering servo and the reciever and replaced them both. I use the spectrum system and the servo I had so it was just a matter of drilling new holes for the larger and faster 1/4 scale hitech, it also has ball bearings. It is also lighter in weight. After soon I hope to up grade the esc tho handle 400 amps and 8 cell lipos. At 650.00 that will have to wait for a while. I really like the weight of these wheels but will be using the hpi wheels for their size and I have them. I will be showing so pics of what I have started now.

Picture078.jpg Not a good picture but it shows the hitech is bigger.

Picture080.jpg This is a bad picture but shows the servo installed.

Picture077.jpg hardbody 4dr. truck cab.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.