• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Extended Drive Cups.

Silent_chaos

Hey sup,

I was driving the XB, and the rear CVD Axle fell again from the Diff Cup. This is only happening to the rear. The fronts are ok.

Note that I use the AfterMarket FLM hardened cups and and axles.

avuby3y3.jpg

yju4u5ed.jpg

You can see from the pics that the pin is not right in the center and has an offset of around 3/4 of the cup length.

So i tried putting the bearings from the inside of the bearing holders just to gain a bit more length(basically reversed the bearing)

8y5uqyta.jpg

I was wondering of someone has tried getting aftermarket diff cups that are longer than the stock. I only need like 0.5-0.7 cm longer so that the pin has more distance to travel without falling off. (Diameter of pin is 4mm)

qere5y4e.jpg

Any advice would be appreciated. Ofcourse I can either to this, or get 0.5cm lengthier axles, but finding longer cups is a much easier solution.

Any other brands that have lengthier cups and have a pin diameter distance of >4mm ?

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Silent_chaos

I didn't see that, they suggested me to go back and use the stock, but the stock seems shorter than FLM ones.

So the only solution is longer Diff cups with >4mm pin hole

Ildy666

Try sleeving the diff cups and extend the sleeve to keep the dog bone in.should work if u only need the little extra in the cup.

Silent_chaos

Ildy666 said:
Try sleeving the diff cups and extend the sleeve to keep the dog bone in.should work if u only need the little extra in the cup.
sleeving? you mean installing boots?

any pics would be appreciated

Ildy666

No tubing over the cup.go to home depot get 3/4" type "L" copper pipe this fits over the cup(it's fits over MT diff. cups it should fit X series also) cut to length u want and install.i have a thread started diff cup rings under drive train there's pics there....

andyken

Silent_chaos said:
I didn't see that, they suggested me to go back and use the stock, but the stock seems shorter than FLM ones. So the only solution is longer Diff cups with >4mm pin hole
Are you using the lower hole on the hub carrier?

I tried using the lower one for more ground clearance ...

It made the dog bones have more of a angle, and broke a few diff cup's / dog bone fell out of cup.

Silent_chaos

Ildy666 said:
No tubing over the cup.go to home depot get 3/4" type "L" copper pipe this fits over the cup(it's fits over MT diff. cups it should fit X series also) cut to length u want and install.i have a thread started diff cup rings under drive train there's pics there....
ok. saw the thread. DGI offers carbon sleeves too. but I don't think this will solve the problem since the cups are not breaking. Im guessing this method only fortifies the cups?

The suspension travel is what is making the rear axles just go short and falling from the cup.

Silent_chaos

andyken said:
Are you using the lower hole on the hub carrier?I tried using the lower one for more ground clearance ...

It made the dog bones have more of a angle, and broke a few diff cup's / dog bone fell out of cup.
I have hardened diff cups, theyre not breaking at all.

and no im not using the lower one.

the axles are parallel to the ground, the suspension travel is what is making them play short and fall. i have alresdy adjusted the droop screw to maximise play without falling.

some people are using fuel line, I duno how that will work.

but i guess Im going to ask a local mashine shop to machine me cups that are longer so that the pin slides more confortable during suspension travel.

Look at the baja FLM cups: http://www.largescalerc.com/flmhddrivehubandaxlekit.aspx

They have a limited amount of pin travel, the axle just locks.

I wonder if this works on the XB.

Ildy666

If u extend the diff. Cup with sleeves it should prevent the dog bone from walking out.i don't think theres more options for longer cups.

Silent_chaos

Ildy666 said:
If u extend the diff. Cup with sleeves it should prevent the dog bone from walking out.i don't think theres more options for longer cups.
to be honest, Im not quite getting you :/

how can you extend the length of the cup with sleeves?

i thought sleeves are only for strengthening the longevity of the cup

andyken

Silent_chaos said:
I have hardened diff cups, theyre not breaking at all. and no im not using the lower one.

the axles are parallel to the ground, the suspension travel is what is making them play short and fall. i have alresdy adjusted the droop screw to maximise play without falling.

some people are using fuel line, I duno how that will work.

but i guess Im going to ask a local mashine shop to machine me cups that are longer so that the pin slides more confortable during suspension travel.

Look at the baja FLM cups: http://www.largescalerc.com/flmhddrivehubandaxlekit.aspx

They have a limited amount of pin travel, the axle just locks.

I wonder if this works on the XB.
That hub mount hole... using the lower hole lowers ground clearance, and is less of a angle for the dog bone.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts