• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Exhaust mod

Greggfromohio

Hey guys, I've noticed that some of you mod your exhaust so that it is 2 pieces connected with tubing instead of just one whole piece. That way it doesn't put as much stress on the engine.

I've decided to do this and I've cut my dominator pipe about 2.5 inches from the engine and in having a hard time finding tubing that holds up to the heat. It takes 7/8 ID to connect the 2 pieces where I cut it. Can anyone tell me what would be the best tubing to use and where to find it. Thanks

Wayne

I have found metal clamps to be harsh/damaging to the hose. Plastic ties are alot more forgiving. Hoses will last longer

rcgasser

the problem with zip ties once the hose heats up it will decrease some in size so therefore the zip ties will get loose and if you cut the ends off there is no way to adjust again but will clamps it will stay tighter and a couples more turns to adjust.

rampage idiot

rcgasser said:
the problem with zip ties once the hose heats up it will decrease some in size so therefore the zip ties will get loose and if you cut the ends off there is no way to adjust again but will clamps it will stay tighter and a couples more turns to adjust.
+1 on that wires ties always come loose, I always use hose clamps and never had a problem!

Greggfromohio

The only thing I see wrong with hose clamps is that they look a little homemade'ish. But if they work they work. That's probably what I'll go with.

Phill

Greggfromohio said:
Hey guys, I've noticed that some of you mod your exhaust so that it is 2 pieces connected with tubing instead of just one whole piece. That way it doesn't put as much stress on the engine. I've decided to do this and I've cut my dominator pipe about 2.5 inches from the engine and in having a hard time finding tubing that holds up to the heat. It takes 7/8 ID to connect the 2 pieces where I cut it. Can anyone tell me what would be the best tubing to use and where to find it. Thanks
I don't know about where you are but here in Oz you can buy silicon hose at the local auto parts stores

phreerider

silicone hose at large scale is the spot to add it to an order, BUT by itself at siliconehose.com PLUS the ridiculous shipping is pricey.

for the lot who use heater hose+ clamps, you can add a aluminum cover which adds a mountain of toughness! the corrugated finish locks nicely when overlapped by few centimeters

the Al cover that comes with drain pipe connectors is easy, available at any hardware store , and comes with clamps, adds a machined look AND eliminates clamp cuts.

trim it clamp it forget about it

G

I've had success with both clamps and zip ties. The zip ties I used were the rather large version.

rampage idiot

RCDAD said:
I've had success with both clamps and zip ties. The zip ties I used were the rather large version.
I used the large ones also but after a few runs they became very brittle and got loose! :eek:

chrisscott961

phreerider said:
silicone hose at large scale is the spot to add it to an order, BUT by itself at siliconehose.com PLUS the ridiculous shipping is pricey. for the lot who use heater hose+ clamps, you can add a aluminum cover which adds a mountain of toughness! the corrugated finish locks nicely when overlapped by few centimeters

the Al cover that comes with drain pipe connectors is easy, available at any hardware store , and comes with clamps, adds a machined look AND eliminates clamp cuts.

trim it clamp it forget about it
What is an AL cover I'm intrested because I'm have big issues with the hose and clamps.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.