• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Exhaust gas temps??

Ryneito

I recently put a ESP championship ported 30.5cc head kit in my XB. Along with a wt990, a 1" Mani. and a km pipe. She runs great and was very easy to tune but I'm having one minor problem. I keep melting my silicone coupler on the exhaust. I bought some high quality high temp 4ply hose. Same stuff some other members run with no problem. Im kind of lost on the matter since I shouldn't be melting this hose. Any ideas on why it would running so hot? My tune is good. Little on the rich side. Plug color is nice brown color...

G

How much of the coupling ( length ) is exposed if any to the hot exhaust gas?

On my modded pipe I only have about 1/4 inch between the sections where the tube gets exposed to the exhaust.

Ryneito

Its about 3/4 of an inch gap between header pipe and pipe to the rest of the exhaust. The silicone is melting where I clamp it to the pipe. Do I want the smallest gap possible there? If so I can weld some more pipe onto the header..

andyken

I found strong zip tie/wire ties work better than hose clamps, Also so you could just put a space filler pipe in there, and not weld it..?

Ryneito

I thought about the filler piece too. Stuff it inside the coupler and leave enough overhang to clamp onto header and pipe.

So does it sound like I have to big of a gap between header and pipe and that's causing the melting??

andyken

Ryneito said:
I thought about the filler piece too. Stuff it inside the coupler and leave enough overhang to clamp onto header and pipe.So does it sound like I have to big of a gap between header and pipe and that's causing the melting??
Sounds like your tune is ok, maybe richen a bit and add the pipe spacer. When I used hose clamps, they cut thru the coupling, even on nitro rigs.

Do you have a temp gun?

Maybe you could temp the header and motor to see if it's running hotter than normal?

G

The best fix IMO is to extend the header. Are you using an exhaust port? If not I would recommend installing one. This will also close the gap between the header and pipe. It will assist in cooling the exhaust gasses a bit.

Ryneito

If an exhaust port is the finned aluminum spacer that mounts between the header and head then Yes I'm running one if those.

I think your right RCdad, I think I need more pipe off the header.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts