• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine size

CyberVet65

Contributor
How can I tell what size this engine in my truck is? I have it disassembled down to the flywheel and clutch and out of the truck. If necessary I can pull the head. I was just wondering if there was an easier way.

And if I pull the head, I might as well get a 2 bolt 30.5cc top end. Will there be any issues with the crank strength?

CyberVet65

Contributor
It doesn't matter now.

I have gone to O'Neill Brother Racing and purchased the ESP racing ported 30.5cc rebuild kit. Comes with a crank. Getting new bearings as well. Putting a Walbro 990 on the intake and a Jet Pro rear mount on the exhaust.

And this is never having ran a 1/5th scale!

I have the engine down to just the cases. Waiting on parts.

The truck is down to chassis.

New dual servos for steering, new throttle servo. New intake manifold and air filtration system.

Most of the suspension will be replaced with aluminum hardware. New shocks.

All the bearings will be replaced with the Boca Bearing set.

Tried to get a belt drive but they are non-existant. May go with a two speed unit.

Taking pictures as build progresses.

CyberVet65

Contributor
The wife said that the money that I had in ordered parts "You could have bought a new one!"

She doesn't understand the word "hobby". She is the same way with the motorcycle. "Why go riding after dark? You can't see anything". :rolleyes:

Tearing the engine down and rebuilding the whole truck is as much about running it as owning it.

It is a true "tinker toy".

Silent_chaos

You're in the correct path. Eventually, you'll end up upgrading everything. Been there and done that. I spent almost 5.5k on my xb. [emoji57]

Be sure to lurk around and ask a lot before purchasing anything.

This is an expensive hobby. Once its done, upload a vid on youtube so we can see your beast how it runs :)

Last edited by a moderator:

CyberVet65

Contributor
I will do that. I was thinking about the belt drive but that went away. Then I was looking at the Demon two speed. But I think I will wait on that .

The engine rebuild should give enough power for a while.

CyberVet65

Contributor
Well today I get to see if everything is put together correctly.

Up date soon.

Will do the 1st tank with no load. Get it hot and get everything seated.

2nd tank will be on the ground and running lightly. Tuning. Idle and high jet. Gotta run it to hear it, to tune it.

Deluge

You need a load on it to seat the ring properly. I do a few warm up laps and then run it hard. As long as your needles are set right, you won't seize it. Keep it at stock settings to be safe. I tune by the second tank.

Deluge

Also, you can tell the engine size by the cylinder. It should have two, two digit numbers down at the base. One is stroke, one is bore. For example a 30.5 has a 30mm stroke and a 36mm bore.

Once you have those numbers, enter them into an engine displacement calculator. Like this one...

Calculate Engine Displacement

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts