• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine RPMs (Tach)

Zen

Hello All. I am new to 1/5 RC cars. I use to fly RC Planes and it was easy to determine the RPMs the engine is putting out. Just hold a tachometer up to prop and SHAZAM, RPMs. However, with cars, there is no easy way, or is there? I would like to tach the RPMs for my High speed, Low speed, and Idle for my car so that I can get maximum performance and preserve the life of the engine. Or am I just over thinking things?

Thanks.

The Zen has pondered.

RampageHopUps

Alot of engine builders will do this when tuning and breaking in an engine. I never see a regular guy tach'ng his engine while bashing or even racing.

Most of them use an engine tach with the highest RPM saved in memory.

Zen

Thanks for the response. just curiuos, engine manuals say don't let the motor go above 5k rpms for the first 8 hours of break-in, so how does a noob like me determine 5k? Last noob question, if the clutch is an 8k clutch, wouldn't exceeding that number damage the clutch?

Noob the Zen is.

designed2survive

Zen said:
Thanks for the response. just curiuos, engine manuals say don't let the motor go above 5k rpms for the first 8 hours of break-in, so how does a noob like me determine 5k? Last noob question, if the clutch is an 8k clutch, wouldn't exceeding that number damage the clutch?Noob the Zen is.
Nope. Disregard that "do not let the engine go above 5k rpms". As you found out if the clutch grabs at around 7500rpm you already exceeding that 5k recommendation. You can exceed that during break in as long as you are following a good break in procedure. Google "OBR break in" to give yourself an idea.

RampageHopUps

Yeah, the manual is useless.

The clutch engages at 8K, so they are asking you to idle it for a few tanks. Thats not good.

Just run it around the yard for a few tanks, and vary the throttle. Don;t do high speed extended runs, until around the 5th tank.

Someone will post the OBR tuning video I'm sure.

phreerider

Zen said:
Hello All. I am new to 1/5 RC cars. I use to fly RC Planes and it was easy to determine the RPMs the engine is putting out. Just hold a tachometer up to prop and SHAZAM, RPMs. However, with cars, there is no easy way, or is there? I would like to tach the RPMs for my High speed, Low speed, and Idle for my car so that I can get maximum performance and preserve the life of the engine. Or am I just over thinking things? Thanks.

The Zen has pondered.
sometimes the senses provide insight to the devices offering.

-the slow squeeze pull on the pullstart to FEEL when fuel load is present at TDC

-the SOUND of idle tune, speedy smooth nicely even, peak tune screaming fever pitch...you'll know when she hits the hi notes !

-the SMELL of rich fuel and SIGHT of a wet plug or spark

device will let Zen know

-

Ice_2k

Engine RPMs (Tach)

RampageHopUps said:
The clutch engages at 8K, so they are asking you to idle it for a few tanks. Thats not good.
isn't the stock clutch a 6k?

@Zen All telemetry-capable radio systems offer RPM sensors.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jonny5

If you have an android phone got to the play store and search acoustic tachometer. Most of them work pretty well. Keep in mind a 2 stroke fires once per Rev so you will have to multiple the rpm by 2. Unless it has a setting to select 2 or 4 stroke

Phill

Jonny5 said:
If you have an android phone got to the play store and search acoustic tachometer. Most of them work pretty well. Keep in mind a 2 stroke fires once per Rev so you will have to multiple the rpm by 2. Unless it has a setting to select 2 or 4 stroke
Thanks

Got the RPM Gauge on Android

Lets you pick 2 or 4 stroke and number of cylinders as well as upper and lower limits

Counted by Zen will revs be

Zen

Meter of Tach the Zen has evaluated. Hummm, maybe device the Zen is looking for indeed. View video you will,

Thanks to all for input.

The Zen is will soon no longer be a Padawan.

Ildy666

I have the same one on my race quad works great...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts