• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine options

Ice_2k

Hi guys,

At the moment, I'm more than happy with my stock 32cc (after adding the 8k clutch and the jetpro exhaust). However, I'm probably gonna want to change it at some point so I thought I'd ask ahead, to be prepared :) Basically, my main questions with after market engines are:

1. If I get something like a stock G320RC, is it a direct fit on the Dunerunner?
  2. I noticed the G320RC can come with a normal clutch housing or a "shorty" clutch housing. Which one is for the Redcat?
  3. I'm currently running the Vertigo vented clutch housing, would that still be compatible with a G320RC?
  4. Is there such a thing as a stock Zenoah G340RC or is this just a name tuners give to a G320RC which they modified to be 34cc?
  5. What does "race ported" mean?
  6. What does "full mod" mean?
  7. What does "long block" mean?
  8. What does "reed case" mean?
  9. What engine would you recommend to replace the 32cc when it lets go? I'm looking for something that doesn't constantly break my car in half every time I go near the throttle, but, since I'm paying the money, I would obviously like to get something extra compared to the stock 32cc.

Sorry if some of these questions are too n00by :)

Last edited by a moderator:

phreerider

Ice_2k said:
Hi guys,At the moment, I'm more than happy with my stock 32cc (after adding the 8k clutch and the jetpro exhaust). However, I'm probably gonna want to change it at some point so I thought I'd ask ahead, to be prepared :) Basically, my main questions with after market engines are:

1. If I get something like a stock G320RC, is it a direct fit on the Dunerunner?
  2. I noticed the G320RC can come with a normal clutch housing or a "shorty" clutch housing. Which one is for the Redcat?
  3. I'm currently running the Vertigo vented clutch housing, would that still be compatible with a G320RC?
  4. Is there such a thing as a stock Zenoah G340RC or is this just a name tuners give to a G320RC which they modified to be 34cc?
  5. What does "race ported" mean?
  6. What does "full mod" mean?
  7. What does "long block" mean?
  8. What does "reed case" mean?
  9. What engine would you recommend to replace the 32cc when it lets go? I'm looking for something that doesn't constantly break my car in half every time I go near the throttle, but, since I'm paying the money, I would obviously like to get something extra compared to the stock 32cc.
Sorry if some of these questions are too n00by :)
if your running 32 then G320 should bolt on with shorty housing

32 stroked +2mm is 34mod. best i can tell, i have questioned same , whatever the combo is . the 32 case is a little different best i can tell.

race porting - changes made to flow from head to case and exhaust better, enlarging and smoothing the chambers to speed up gas flow efficiency

full mod - the same in race port PLUS increase in done of cylinder, piston altered, maybe crank is smoothed closed tighter ... all about delivering MORE to a BIGGER space faster.

long block- case+crank/rod/piston+head

reed case- these are case feed motors, the carb goes straight in case crank pump... instead of thru intake port in the head in a regular motor.

full mod 32 or reed case 32. the full mod 30.5 is a great choice sweet $ for that one with a billet case!

Ice_2k

Thanks! So something like this would be a nice direct-fit choice (from what you said that's basically a G320RC + fullmod and now branded a G340RC, right?). What does "Upgrade To Billet Crankcase" there mean?

phreerider

yep, that is the same stock case. and with shorty clutch housing.

it has the stock crank case and DOES NOT come with billet crank case, you can ADD that upgrade . which is THICK AND SHINY. fitment may be tighter with the billet case, not sure about that , if so, it would be very minor if at all

heres the difference stock case and billet case

hy%2030.5%20with%20race%20port%20and%20zenobr%20tr%20prostock%2030.5_zps2iuypwo3.jpg

Ice_2k

Ah, i see, thanks. What is the advantage this brings? Reducing flex or something?

phreerider

as heat builds the stock can take a beating and tolerance can start to move esp. with more power. the thicker billet, has way more heat tolerance and rigidity. plus lifetime rebuilds without question, heat will eventually get the stock and it will crack esp. with hi power set ups. understand the stock is plenty good for numerous rebuilds, but billet is builders choice for sure

Ice_2k

Engine options

I had an email conversation with Sean from OBR and he recommended the 30.5

He said the G340RC's torque might be an issue with the stock transmission. The reason why there is just a 0.4 hp difference between the two engines is because the 30.5 revs much higher, a little over 20,000 RPM while the G340RC only goes up to about 18,500 RPM.

phreerider

yep thats the ticket !

getting same , noticed the #6021 is same, have yet to know difference, i would guess porting favoring higher rev torque peak placement v. earlier for weighty 4wd drivetrains like #6274

great choice!

Ice_2k

So if I understand this correctly, the 7.9hp G340 full mod already has the torque to maybe present some issues with the transmission (altough the dunerunner is all-metal so maybe with some sleeved drive cups it will be ok) so there's no point in getting it over the 7.5hp 30.5 full mod... right? Either this or go full banana and get the 9.4hp full mod G340 reed which shouldn't have any more torque than the 7.9hp version but I'll be getting the extra rpm.

One more thing to consider, are there some parts that will work with the 30.5 and not work with the g340? Like my billet manifold (i saw someone here recommend this one for the G340), my vertigo vented clutch housing, my inclined stack?

Or maybe the 7.7hp full mod G320... too many options

phreerider

i do recall the 32 having beefier rod/crank parts so there is merit to the new setup.

totally agree about the 30.5full mod or equal 32 set up with the right amount of power for the unit.

not sure about the add ons. i would think they fit.

Ice_2k

Did you guys actually run one of these OBR engines and experienced the difference 1st hand? I'm asking because I browsed youtube looking for running videos of these engines and every time I find one of these having a drag race with a normal engine, there's almost no difference which seems just ridiculous considering 2 times the power.

38cc OBR widowmaker vs baja 23cc -

phreerider

Yes the obr 30.5 pro stock and full mod . But none of 32 platforms. The pro stock 32 would be a great platform . The excessive power is a waste unless race situation for seasoned pilot. 6-7hp is usable hi performance . The rest is just for talk and sprint speed in bashing brag rights!

Ice_2k

Engine options

Totally agree, but when talking about drag races... you'd expect to see some difference, wouldn't you? Having a 23cc with a pipe keep up with OBR's 38cc widowmaker is weird at the very least. Same goes for 34cc reed case vs stock 32cc.

I mean, I can get my son an MT for the price of one of the 9hp engines... you'd expect it to kill anything stock for that money...

phreerider

pilot skill for power like that takes practice.

all about control!

power is nothing without control!

Rampagemt2016

wow after watching youtube videos doesn't look that impressive to me. I'm happy with my rampage mt 32 cc performance its pretty quick with ddm pipe and 990 carb for the weight of the truck. great motor so far

Darack73

I just got a OBR g340 full mod for my mt. Did first tank of idle break in tonight. Sounds mean. But no real driving yet. Quick vid.

talunceford

Darack73 said:
I just got a OBR g340 full mod for my mt. Did first tank of idle break in tonight. Sounds mean. But no real driving yet. Quick vid.
I've got the g340rc fm in Insanity (Chimera chassis) and it rips like crazy! The gearing is what holds the whole setup back in my opinion. However, with it being geared as high as it is, throttle control is key with a high hp engine like the g340rc. I've considered changing the 29 and 31 tooth gears around to see what difference it makes. Take your time with the break in on the 340 and you will be MORE than pleased with the results. A good tuned pipe on it makes a ton of difference too. Sean at OBR told me that the 340 likes the Jetpro pipe. I can attest to that as I have the jetpro chimera model for mine. Tune it and run it like you stole it.

Darack73

I ran the rest of my break in cycle today. Maybe tomorrow i can tune a little still real rich. This thing guzzles gas like crazy. But the last run it started opening it up a bit. Finding some RPMs kinda like a nitro engine would. I flipped the gears already. Making it 25-35 i believe. But one thing for sure is its gonna be fast. Maybe not real quick but fast for sure

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts