• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Engine for MT

AlvaSpeed

I am getting an MT and was wondering what engine to get.

Budget around $500.00

Thinking of going with one of Oneill's Brothers engines.

Need to decide this weekend.

kryptonite

i like the o'bros motors too. just got sweet zenoah from them.. do you need a pipe? if so check out the packages. the only motor i would really stay awy from is the round "billit" heads. they are the ones that come anidized. poor plating and don't last long.. your budget leaves you open for alot.. what kinda motor do you want? i mean torque or rpms? crank, no crank? if it was me and i wanted something in between i would go with a stuffed 2mm crank and a reed kit (28.5)

-this one is $379.00 comes with stuffed crank

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/itemdescription/reed_ported_gp290_chrome.htm

-$379.00, 4 BOLT HEAD! zenoah. this motor will turn some rpms. you can also have them port it for a reed kit. it comes with an 813 carb and a 2mm stroker(non-stuffed:confused:..)

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar/itemdescription/raceport_g272rc.htm

-$449.00, the "cats meow".. wish it was a 4 bolt.. but a zenoah port matched reed kit with 2mm stuffed stroker

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar//itemdescription/reedported_27_motor.htm

note: when going with a full zenoah case, you might want to check with others.. im pretty sure the clutch case is slightly diffrent then the cy. (o'neills can help out with that)

some power houses.. not really my cup-a-tea

this motor is no joke.. 30.5 w/ reed stuffed crank? incoming!!

-$449.00

http://www.oneillbrothers.com/rccar//itemdescription/reed_ported_30_chrome.htm

if you need a pipe, that will change the hole thing up as thats an add'l $169.00, but the package sets they sell are pretty good.. if you go with a smaller displacement, think about the lightened flywheel. that will help with a quick "spool up".. don't count esp out, but i just think its easer to go with o'bros, plus they offer many options. any questions about "what-does-what" just ask..

Last edited by a moderator:

kryptonite

i wondering if alva got a roller and thats why he needs an intire mill? what pipe you have or getting?

AlvaSpeed

Yes it is for a roller.

It is for my brother and he told me to get the best engine, best servos, etc....for him.

I thought about a $500 for the engine alone (maybe a little more if neccessary).

Going for a DDM side pipe. I don't like the look of the others.

Are those reed engines way faster?

kryptonite

so a reed kit gives more power all around, but very noticable on the low end. as the piston goes up a small amount of fuel is pushed back into the carb. the reed is like a one way valve wich doesn't allow any lost fuel in the cumbustion chamber. so you get a good amount of power from the bottom straight to the top. the top end needs to be ported to match the reed kit, so buying a the reed kit later is kind of a pain.. i think with some research and knowing what its going to be used for will make for a better fit on what type of mill

AlvaSpeed

so the ultimate would be a reed ported and modified 4 bolt Zenoah or the 30.5 reed ported.

I have a friend with a 30.5 OB engine and it is very fast.

If the reed ones are faster I will order one.

Help me decide between Zenoah 27.2 and CY 30.5.

hamster huey

More power = more wear. If you go with the most powerful be prepared for more wear and maybe more breakage. I would go with a 28.5 or a 28.5 race ported at the most and on the high end a 30.5 non ported.

kryptonite

you got it alva. but remember. the larger displacement the less rpm. a 27.2 will spin higher, but wont be able to pull super high gears. thats why i sugjested a light flywheel with the 27.2. it wont lack power by all meens, but the flywheel helps spool up faster.. i would sugjest a stuffed crank verse a non-stuffed. i did have a stuffed crank come apart a little bit.. but a stuffed crank will help get the rpms back up by increasing case pressure.

you do run the risk of part wear with the large bore mills. thats why i always go with nothing more then a 28.5/29.

AlvaSpeed

Well my ESP 27.2 4 bolt runs strong, I did not like the standing start performance, but I installed a lightweight flywheel and a HPI high response clutch and now I like it.

I am leaning towards a 30.5 because the MT is heavier than the TT, and heavier in the worst place...the tires.

kryptonite

the low end torque on that will be awsome. i had an esp ported 30.5 on my old 5b and it was crazy, but back then we didnt have that many gearing options and it would "flat line" really quick.. we have plenty of gearing options to make that thing scream..

AlvaSpeed

I contacted Oneill Bros and talked to Sean.

He suggested a full mod 27.2 and told me that is his most powerful engine, even better than the reed ported ones.

Anyone here with a full modified engine?

I hope that there is no need to run VP racing fuels on this engine. I forgot to ask him about that.

kryptonite

i have seans fully modified zenoah 27.2(no reed), its got the works.. lightened flywheel(installed, not tested yet),813 carb(installed,not tested) race ported, machined,2mm stuffed.. i have 3 tanks thru it now. and it is WILD!! it almost put tears in my eyes when i leaned it out. im running 35/25 gears,not 25/35, but 35/25 in my on-road with short tires.. it pulls it off the line just fine, and it seems like it don't redline.. good motor. the only thing i had to do was get shorter coil screws and match the ports on the case(easy).. and no, even a modified motor isnt hitting the compression needs for higher octane. not even the 4 bolt zenoah..

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts