• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dye fuel tank

GTS 666

Should I dye the fuel tank black. I'm tired of the clear tank and want a change has anyone done this. Are there any pros or cons to this. I don't need to see my fuel level as I have a good idea of run time. Yeah when it stops lol. :)

G

I have never seen it done to a Redcat. If someone has I'm sure they'll chime in. It is possible. Please post pics if you do it, let us know how it goes.

DustyR3825

Banned
I am unsure of how black you will be able to get it. I tried to dye my Clear gear cover and it turned out a smoke color....

DemonRC

I've seen a black opaque and a blue opaque fuel tank. You just need a good concentration of dyeto water, heat, and soak time.

GTS 666

I've seen pics of the result and have a good idea of how to do it need to get a pot. As misses won't like me destroying our cooking pots. If I get time I will do it in the next few days. Unless someone chimes in and gives me a reason why I shouldn't. Cheers.

GTS 666

I'll post pics once I'm done. I'm in the process of doing a full bearing kit as I want to give it a full overhaul as it is starting to look a little rough.

GTS 666

It's in the pot on low heat it's been there about half hour and looking ok but I want it dark and don't want to redo it so I'll just keep an eye on it I'm thinking 2 hours will do but I will see.

GTS 666

I done it on our stove top and didn't want black dye bubbling out all over the place so I didn't bring the water to a complete boil. But hot enough not to stick your finger in for a temp check lol. Ran it for 2 hours and turned heat off looking black so far. I'm just going to leave it sit over night and clean up tomorrow and see what to result is.

G

Turned out great.

You were able to get it really dark. How many hours did you end up leaving it soaking?

GTS 666

Heated for 2 1/2 hours and then left it in pot over night probably 12 hours. Should look good once back on MT just need to find the time to finish it and I will get pics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts