• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dunerunner tuned exhaust

kbreaux100

I got a redcat tuned exhaust for free when i purchased my dunerunner. I know its not a good exhaust and will melt but I figured I would just use it until it melted then go buy a better one. Well, I got my dunerunner from ups today, broke in the motor with the regular exhaust that comes on it. Tonight I decided to put on the redcat tuned exhaust. I got it on, but what worries me is there were two little springs that came with the package that I don't know what to do with. Also, the hook they give you will not hook onto any part of the exhaust the way I have it mounted, which I believe is tyhe only way it can go. The only thing I did with the hook was put it on in where the stgock hook was, and it sits inder the exhaust, keeping it from hitting the lower plastic part of the back of the cage. Also, it its sitting about an inch from the aluminum bar that is part of the spoiler. I hope I explained this well, and my question is, does this sound right to any of you guys that have installed the redcat tuned exhaust before??? sorry I took so long and thanks in advance for the help. Also, gonna try to upload a picture for you guys.

Last edited by a moderator:

kbreaux100

Chief409 said:
The only experience I have with a stock Red Cat exhaust was the can. Then I got a X-Can and observed others attempts at fitting tuned pipes on Dune Runners for a long time. Finally found a GOOD tuned pipe which mounts on the Dune Runner.Check this thread:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=10644
Thank you bud! Although that exhaust in the thread is a bad mo, I am all thumbs when it comes to fabricating mounts and such, I try with small stuff but I don't think I would ever be as good as half of these guys. Im a welding inspector by trade, so I can tell ya whats wrong with your designs all day long, but cant make em myself worth a darn. Those pictures in that thread did answer one of my questions though. I figured out where to put those springs!!! They hold together the two sections of the Pipe. Thanks for the link!

Chief409

The front chassis mount was easy. Picked up some steel sheet at Home Depot, cut out a 2.5 by 2.25 piece with a hacksaw and dressed the edges with a file. Did the bend in the vice using some plastic to protect the sheet metal. Marked the holes with a fine tip felt tip, used a drill motor to drill the holes. No fancy tools required. Unless vice grips are fancy. Everything else was plug 'n play.

Screws are stainless 5X12 on the sheet metal and 5X16 mm hex on the chassis. I used fiber lock nuts. But if vibration or heat is a problem I'll use wave washers and standard hex nuts as a replacement.

kbreaux100

rampagemt said:
The wire that gets screwed into the lower cage support is right there but it is suppose to hold the stinger on the end of the pipe.
im not sure i understand wha you mean by the wire. there was a hook with plastic around it that came with the pipe. i screwed it in where the original hook that held the stinger on was. but the hook that came with the tuned pipe ran parralel to the mounting hole as opposed to the original hook. also, where the hook end up is under the pipe, but the pipe is way too big to go in the hook, and also runs flat with the hook. the pipe sorda rests on top of the hook. just don't know how else i could mount it with what they gave me. one other thing. i tried to open my shocks tonight and notice they don't open like regular rc shocks. do you have to open them from the bottom? this buggy is making me feel stupid. so many new things to learn. definitly alot different than the other rcs ive owned over the last 20 years!

rampagemt

Ok I understand what ya mean by the wire now. Ya you did it right I was under the assumption that all those were fastened with hook around end of pipe. Anyways lol.... When I fill my redcats I fill from the lower but if I am wrong I would like to know that as well. Well someone else chime in?

Chief409

I fill the shocks from the bottom. I'm using Losi 40W front, 50W rear, Baja 5b soft (green) front springs on the rear, 5b stock (black) rear springs on the front currently.

G

Take a pic of the wire mount. That pipe comes with a wire brace for the XB. That might be the problem. It goes from the upper shock bolt to around the stinger.

rampagemt

Is that an xb pipe or dr pipe? Be aide that hole is on the lower cage support and is there for that pipe at least I thought. Why else would a hole be there. I'm very interested in this.

G

I am wrong. I took a closer look at the pipe. It is the DR alum. pipe, not the one that comes on the XB. Sorry

Last edited:

kbreaux100

yeh the hole on the lower cage support is where the original dunerunner exhaust hook is mounted to. when i purchased the dunerunner, it came with a free tuned pipe, don't know if it was specifically made for the dr or not, but im assuming not because of what came with it. really doesn't matter to me now, beacause the pipe melted today on the seconf run!! oh well, it was free, and i had heard of this happening before so i kinda expected it. also, i figured out that if ya grip the shock cylinder and torque the top nut on the shock, it will come off, it was just hard because for some reason they put a ton of blue locktiite on it from the factory. i just like filling shocks from the top because when i tried to fill em from the bottom i couldnt find a happy medium between underfill and hydrolock.

Chief409

All the stock Dune Runner exhausts, SUCK! If you're looking at a budget, get an X-Can and some 1/2" ID silicon pipes. Other people have used Dominator pipes and other rear exhaust pipes. They don't fit without some mods to the plastic roll cage.

I just installed a Victory RC Big Bore unsilenced side pipe on my DR. No cage mods required, just needed to make a front pipe mount. It clears the roll cage AND the body.

Details here:

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=10644&page=3

blak__jak

I used the cpi big bore on my d/r. it was probably a little more trouble than the victory to mount but not all that bad. the power the pipe makes is great but what I really like is the way it tucks in close in the cage and is so well protected. I thought it might help someone else if I showed how it was done. I had to make a couple risers to lift the wing a bit and two new ell brackets for the lower cage mounts. all material was found at lowes. the wing riser brackets are 1/4 aluminum plate and the ell shaped mounts are 1/2 od aluminum rod. I used a dremel tool to cut the plates drilled 4 holes and used some small hex bolts I had to put it all together. it's pretty straight forward. you just have to raise the wing about a 1/2 inch to keep it away from the heat of the pipe. the hardest part of this installation was fabricating the ell brackets. for them I used the 1/2 rod. before cutting them to size while I still had some length to work with I used a brake line tubing bender to make the 90 degree bends. than I used a hammer to flatten bottom end of the ell's where they were going to mount to the frame and drilled holes to though bolt to frame. the other end you have to drill and tap to remount to the cage the same as the original brackets were mounted. that was probably the hardest part of the hole deal and not that bad since the aluminum is soft and easily tapped. a little redcat blue paint and the parts looked like they belonged there.

blak__jak

and here's the end result. I forgot to mention the only reason for changing the lower ell brackets is that I figured the plastic ones would melt from the heat.

kbreaux100

man that looks great! the blue paint adds a great finished touch. i wish i had the extra funds for a tuned pipe because i know a pipe makes these motors so much more responsive, but at the moment all i can scrounge up is enough to buy a x can. do you know if these are worth it? they are only like 55 bucks.

blak__jak

kbreaux100 you might try one of these king motor ddm ripoffs. I've got one and for the price they're made pretty well. I can't say for sure about the fitment because I haven't ever actually installed it but by just holding it up to my d/r it looks like the only problem you might have is with the same lower ell brackets as I did with the cpi. the way the pipe wraps around though that area you could have a problem with heat melting the plastic ones. one of these days i'll get around to trying it out. just haven't had a reason to have the d/r apart lately [knock on wood] so I haven't checked it out.

http://www.kingmotorrc.com/Performance_Pipe_DOM_p/km59.htm

maybe someone else has tried this and will come back and let you know.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts