• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

dunerunner shock options

kbreaux100

im thinking about installing new shocks on my duney and i would like to hear what you guys are running. i assume the best bet would be to run shocks that are made for the baja, but what mods are neccessary to run em. new hardware? any advice appreciated. just want to hear what options ive got.

nik81818

Im curious about this also. I think allot of people run the stock ones but I like aftermarket if I can get sum

Chief409

I kept the stock shocks, refilled them with 40W fluid in the front and 50W in the rear. Also I installed Baja 5b springs, the stock black rear lower springs on the front, the green softer front springs on the rear. I have the extended HPI adapters on all four corners and use Baja 5T Proline wheels and Trenchers. Seems to be a good setup for general dirt running. I am considering going to 25 or 30W fluid in the front though, it's a little stiff running at speed, but with the 40W it handles jumps without problem. So, it's matter of which way I'm running, flat out, or on a track at much lower speeds.

Last edited by a moderator:

kbreaux100

yeh i noticed that my suspension is really stiff all the way around. i took off all the preload, and put 40w oil in the front shocks. havent noticed much of a difference. i gues my next step is to try softer springs but i didnt know what the hpi colors meant on their shock springs

Chief409

kbreaux100 said:
yeh i noticed that my suspension is really stiff all the way around. i took off all the preload, and put 40w oil in the front shocks. havent noticed much of a difference. i gues my next step is to try softer springs but i didnt know what the hpi colors meant on their shock springs
HPI has 3 colors for the 5b springs, green - soft, black - stock, and whatever - too stiff for dirt.

Now a DR set up as a street runner, lowered and with slicks on all four corners, hmm. Had a opportunity to get a FG F1 rig from a pawn shop for $300 a few weeks ago, ALMOST went for it, but, I'm a dirt guy. Always have been, and guess I'll die dirty! :)

blak__jak

been wanting an fg f1 for a long time. wish i'd run into a deal like that. I don't know what i'd do with it in the middle of nowhere ohio just want one. sorry a little off subject.

Chief409

I went to the Green and 50W because with Black and 40W there was so much rear end hop running Trenchers on the mixed sand and gravel here with the added power the OBR Prostroke has. The DR is also set up with stiffer fluid in the front diff then the rear out of the box. Which is how I set my rigs up anyway, so I have NO idea what's in there! I prefer having most of the push at the rear, something like 40% front, 60% rear. Get the good 4X4 traction, with oversteer.

Chief409

blak__jak said:
been wanting an fg f1 for a long time. wish i'd run into a deal like that. I don't know what i'd do with it in the middle of nowhere ohio just want one. sorry a little off subject.
I thought about going back and getting it, and running on the H.S. parking lot when everyone is headed to Willow Springs International Raceway down the road. Who knows, might even get discovered by Jay Leno! :)

kbreaux100

i like alot of those fg's also and for that price i bet its a steal. the only problem i would fear is parts availability and price.when ya break parts,you might be in for an exspensive and long wait. the only saving grace on that is if your at least a mediocre driver,i would think street cars would break less being your not jumping them and running over rough terrain

G

Parts are fairly easy to get. DDM has some and FG supply out of Cali has a lot. I have ordered parts from Germany and get them in a week or less.

Chief409

You guys are making it hard to resist checking up on that FG! And I'm the one who said "list it on eBay".

Question: Who has Dune Runner side guards. I just checked everywhere except Redcat.

kbreaux100

RCDAD said:
Parts are fairly easy to get. DDM has some and FG supply out of Cali has a lot. I have ordered parts from Germany and get them in a week or less.
Well,after hearing that it sure does make it hard not to look at the fg's.chief408,if ya got the extra cash laying around you should go for it.if ya don't, you know someone else will quick. If you decide you don't want it,talk to me.I definitely would be interested

rcgasser

Chief409 said:
You guys are making it hard to resist checking up on that FG! And I'm the one who said "list it on eBay".Question: Who has Dune Runner side guards. I just checked everywhere except Redcat.
Yes go for it the FG are great I have 2 of them they are some super great cars and parts are very easy to get as dad mention. You will really love there handling and speed.

Chief409

Ok, Ok! I'll be at the Sand Drags tomorrow, so Monday.

I'd guess it's at least 3 or 4 years old. Small Zenoah with a belt drive, tires are dried out and cracked, NiCad battery pack which still took a charge (there was a charger at hand), and it hasn't been run much. No dings, no corrosion, even the bottom of the chassis is almost scratch free. The general concusses is someone bought it while stationed in Germany as it has European freq xtals. No idea how long it sat in the pawn shop.

Garage at this time:

Dune Runner

Custom swb T-Maxx, 3.3 engine, set up as a Monster Truck

Revo

Custom Slash 4X4 built on a Shining Star LCG chassis, Castle power, MaxAmp batteries

Rustler with the Proline diff

Coming soon (under construction):

OBR 5b sand rig with 1713 - 7hp Full Mod Zenoah 4 Bolt 30.5cc +3mm LONG ROD Engine, VRC Propower side pipe, my design custom paint job

Perhaps:

FG F1

Never enough toys!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts