• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dunerunner Diff pic need part number

delta_kilo

I forgot to add mine wasn't a grease inside the diff case it was a very think oil. Grease is on the outside where the crown gear is but it's a very think oil inside of that on mine anyway. My DR is only a couple months old. Maybe they changed something.

G

I was just wondering if you remembered what person you spoke with. That's all. Just for reference. The heavier the diff fluid the closer you get to locking up the diff. 3k-5k in the front and 5k-7k in the rear is good. Everyone has their own driving style so there is no right or wrong answer. Most run a lighter weight in the front for better cornering.

delta_kilo

Sorry didn't get his name. I'll call back tomorrow and see if I get the same answer.

rcgasser

Thats not right at all it is grease in the diffs not oil and its not close to a 5k its much thicker then that and they use the same in the front and the rear no difference at all. rcdad has made the best suggestion.

delta_kilo

I'll call again tomorrow and if they say the same thing I'll argue that you all are saying he's full of it. I'll update again tomorrow.

delta_kilo

I didn't get a chance to call and all ready ordered diff oil online so if someone else finds out for sure, if not I'll run what you all are recommending.

rampagemt

Wait till you test out your new oil it will be a lot better handling. One thing I will recemend is after you insert the diff cups into the case or the big gear and then the o ring goes in under the pin, if you don't have a washer over the o ring it will leak out bad both my mt and dune runner did not have that shim to keep the oil in. It is pictured in the manuals I believe but mine weren't there. Just anything thin that will keep that o ring in place to keep your lube in place. Good luck and if ya have any ? Just pm me

delta_kilo

I ordered some Factory Team Silicone Diff fluid 100K 100,000 cSt. It acts very much like the fluid that was in the diff to begin with. Very think, kinda sticky, but slick at the same time like the old stuff. I'm going to put it in and see how it does.

delta_kilo

Actually I'm worried about the 100K diff fluid. After reading some things online that fluid will make my diff act like a locker. The fluid inside is extremely think though and it take some force to move the diff cups opposite from each other. I went a head and orders 10K, 30K, and 60K fluid to see if I can match up the stock fluid to the new stuff I'm going to put in it though. I don't think it's the 100K but it's very think so I could see it being the 60K diff fluid.

delta_kilo

Ok so I called Redcat tech support again. I got the same answer from a different tech. 3K weight in the rear and 5K weight in the front diff. I said well everyone on the Redcat forums I visit is saying that's not a good set up so I just want to make sure. He said running a heavier weight in the rear makes the rear act like a locker and it will handle more poorly in corners. He said you want the rear to slip a little and the front to not slip as much to help pull the car through the corners.

I don't know if they are right or wrong I'm only repeating what they told me. Please don't shoot the messenger. Call them if you want to make sure for yourself.

With that said it had 5K weight diff fluid in my DR stock and I had no issues with it so I went to the local hobby shop and bought some 5K weight diff fluid to go back into the front diff.

G

Everyone has a different driving style. The info they gave you is correct about the heavier weight acting more like a locker. However 5k is not that heavy for a 5th scale. 5k in a 10th scale would drive a lot different. Also, a heavy weight in the front can cause it to skip in a tight turn. The info you get from the guys here will be based on their personal experiences. You can try the different recommendations and see which suites you best. Then post what worked best for you. :) Let us know how it goes.

delta_kilo

I was a little worried. I mean you guys know your stuff so when they were telling me something different I was conflicted. My thinking is if it was all ready in it stock wise I'm all ready used to it and I personally liked the way it drove so I'll stick with the stock weight. I'm more worried about going with a different weight not liking it and having to tear it all down again to change out the fluid. But at least people know what the stock setups are diff fluid weight wise now.

rampagemt

In order for you to truely know what you like best is to experiment and the only way that is possible by trying different setups and testing. If that don't suit you then drain the fluids and try something different. IMHO the diffs are easier to remove once the suspension holder mod is done with cutting the knobs and putting screws on there place I will admit I haven't done it to my mt yet but on my dune runner I did and I really like it. Sorry if I came across as an a$$ but experiment dude its one of the greatest things about our hobby...best of luck to you

delta_kilo

Not at all. I completely understand your point. I'll even agree with you. My only hold up is I want to get this thing back out before Sunday when I'm meeting up with some friends with a couple HPIs and would rather know it's going to work the way I expect vs change the fluid and have it not drive the way I want or at least the way I'm used to. I do plan to play with the fluid weight just not right this second. I think it's pretty cool it's so easy in a scene to change how much the front and rear diffs lock up depending on what weight diff fluid you run. I think I have every damn weight they make. 3k, 5K, 7K, 10K, 30K, 60K, and 100K. Ya I bought all the heavy ones from Daves Motors before I just drove to the local hobby store and bought the 5K I'm actually going to run. LOL

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts