• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dune Runner Brakes

Ted Hartman

I understand that his is a subjective question.

I have a new dune runner. I also have 2 Rampage XB's. All these cars are GAS.

My dune runner will not stop within an acceptable distance.

For instance on a throttle blurp the car moves forward, when I apply the brake, it coasts to a stop. At moderate and full speeds it takes a very very very long time for the dune runner to stop, its like there are no brakes at all. i understand this is a little heaver than the XB but my XB's can lock up the wheels, the dune runner far from that. when i blurp the throttle on a XB and apply the brake it stops on a dime. The duner runner just coasts to a stop.

I adjusted the bushing/set screw on the brake rod (from the servo) to where the spring is more than completely compressed on full brake (flexes the brake rod) with no improvement.

this car is 12 hours old (not including the initial tanks to break it in)

It's not like I haven't been around these cars for a while, I have 3 of them..

Can any one tell me what is wrong here?

Thanks, Ted

mulepic

That does sound odd. I could lock up my e-DR when I had brakes. But eventually the stock servo died and I put in some othere hi-tec servo I had laying around. It could still lock up but admittedly would fade by the end of a 20 min race.

Did you check that the servo is really pulling on the brake pads? Also make sure none of the pads are binding up under pressure.

Ted Hartman

I don't understand when you say "really pulling on the brake pads" I assume the lever will squeeze the plates to the pad when the brake rod pushes on the lever.

G

Ted Hartman said:
I understand that his is a subjective question. I have a new dune runner. I also have 2 Rampage XB's. All these cars are GAS.

My dune runner will not stop within an acceptable distance.

For instance on a throttle blurp the car moves forward, when I apply the brake, it coasts to a stop. At moderate and full speeds it takes a very very very long time for the dune runner to stop, its like there are no brakes at all. i understand this is a little heaver than the XB but my XB's can lock up the wheels, the dune runner far from that. when i blurp the throttle on a XB and apply the brake it stops on a dime. The duner runner just coasts to a stop.

I adjusted the bushing/set screw on the brake rod (from the servo) to where the spring is more than completely compressed on full brake (flexes the brake rod) with no improvement.

this car is 12 hours old (not including the initial tanks to break it in)

It's not like I haven't been around these cars for a while, I have 3 of them..

Can any one tell me what is wrong here?

Thanks, Ted
There are some set screws behind the brake pads. It sounds like yours need adjusting.

-

Ted Hartman

I don't understand to "screw your set screws out some". It seems like if i did that there would be more clearance and slop in the assembly. If I screwed them in, then the clearance would tighten up.

rcgasser

Ted Hartman said:
I don't understand to "screw your set screws out some". It seems like if i did that there would be more clearance and slop in the assembly. If I screwed them in, then the clearance would tighten up.
They are screwed in backward with the closed end facing the brakes so your Allen wrench will have to go in on the back side and screw out toward the brake pads and shoes.

G

LOL. I was trying to think of a way to explain that.

The hex driver is used from the pull starter side. They will be turned in from the pull starter side or out from the brake side. :)

local150

a piece of fuel line instead of the spring on the rod made a huge difference on my Baja. I will be doing the same to my DR before the weather gets warm.

Ted Hartman

I would like to thank everyone who responded to the DR braking issue. I have adjusted the set screws and washed the disks out with disk brake cleaner and used a air hose to dry and clean everything. I have the center and front drive shafts on order from rampageshop.com, mine have too much wobble so the actual brake test is a few days away.

Ted

Ted Hartman

Thanks everyone for solving my brake issues.

I want to thank everyone who helped solve my brake problems with my Dune Runner. I cleaned the assembly with caliper cleaner and adjusted the set screws in to where there was no clearance left and then backed them out until I had some play/looseness in the assembly. The set screws show three rows of threads on the inside of the housing next to the backing plate. In order to get an allen wrench into that area, I cut the short end off a little so it would fit in that tight space.

The brakes work so well that the car noses down when I apply full brake. At 10 MPH this 30 pound car stops on a dime. What a difference! :)

G

That's good to hear!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts