• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Dual Steering Servo assistance needed

johnfm3

So after several months of looking an wanting, I finally got myself a 1/5 scale rampage. I really wanted the MT Pro, but the all mighty dollar told me otherwise an I ended up getting the XT.

Looking at the Redcat website, it looks like there is a receiver box for the XT which is ready for a second steering servo.

Has any one had any luck with setting up dual steering servo's? If so, I would be very interested in hearing what was done an what parts were used.

John

Deluge

The XT is much lighter than the MT, so a single high torque servo will do the job. Personally, dual servo setups are a pain to deal with. The linkages and the end points have to be set perfectly or they'll fight each other constantly.

johnfm3

Thanks for the comment. I do agree with you with part of your thought. The XT is much lighter than the MT in stock form. I have ran it for 2 hrs now, still in "break in" at 1/3 throttle an I caught traction in a corner an rolled tail over head.

I am already planning on adding some key aluminum upgrades such as the cage, knuckles, an steering linkages. Probably leaving the control arms plastic an purchasing a few extra sets.

I am still toying with the thought of going to the MT tires. Which brings me to my thought for dual servos. it takes a little more effort to setup, but I feel the gains are worth the extra work.

I have seen some hack jobs done where people have cut into the factory receiver box an bent MT linkages to work. Has anyone purchased the correct receiver box an properly setup the linkages?

John

Deluge

If you want to run MT tires, you need MT axles, hubs, bearing holders, etc. Take into account the MT tires are HEAVY, and the XT wasn't designed to handle that kind of rotating mass. There are lighter options out there, and you get the same look. I forget the brand, though.

What's the part number on the radio box? I've only seen the MT radio box designed for dual servos.

johnfm3

Ok, so when you look at the parts for the XT, you will find radio box part number 50160 for $27.

http://www.redcatracing.com/50006N_2

When you hover over the compatibility, you will see RampageXT in the list. This will be the first part I purchase to start the dual steering servo conversion.

I def like the look of those tires. I run fullsize Jeeps (XJ an YJ) an understand the issue surrounding larger tires, weight, an the effects on the drive an brake system. I def like the look of the tire/wheel package that you showed. An if I can keep the weight off, that's even better.

I have not checked yet, are the MT an XT wheels the same size?

Deluge

Yeah, that's an MT radio box. I'm not sure if it'll fit an XT. I know that radio box has the mount holes spaced differently, so you'll probably have to drill your own holes in the chassis to mount it.

The MT wheels are bigger.

johnfm3

Hmm, I wander if anyone has any experience. I guess at under $30 I will be having experience... lol

As I said, when I hover over the compatibility link, XT shows up.

I need to recover from my purchase. I will write back on this thread when I do end up purchasing that part an let everyone know what I find for anyone else who may be interested.

:-( mt wheels :-(

phreerider

http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=12894

heres some help with the dual setup,

RX splitter, servo, MT rx box, steer linkage

use TWO turnbuckle servo savers (plastic or alloy) i use one of each.

for heavy use it makes all the steer/servo issues go away. get good servos! and a LIPO battery.

YOU have to use good judgement on the drill/ hack ....the XT/XB chassis' are more narrow than MT so fitment is tight.

MT wheels are beefy bags and i think more showy than useful but the right app and gear set they certainly have there place, its lotta weight across the board for XT/XB

johnfm3

phreerider said:
http://www.redcatrampageforum.com/showthread.php?t=12894heres some help with the dual setup,

RX splitter, servo, MT rx box, steer linkage

use TWO turnbuckle servo savers (plastic or alloy) i use one of each.

for heavy use it makes all the steer/servo issues go away. get good servos! and a LIPO battery.

YOU have to use good judgement on the drill/ hack ....the XT/XB chassis' are more narrow than MT so fitment is tight.

MT wheels are beefy bags and i think more showy than useful but the right app and gear set they certainly have there place, its lotta weight across the board for XT/XB
Hey, thanks for the post. I have had to put modifications on my XT on hold due to some car issues which required me to buy a new car.

I am hoping to pick up mod parts for for the XT in Jan or Feb. Meanwhile I am enjoying it along with my other RC's.

I must say I am very interested in your 4w steering. Not sure if I will need it after the dual steering, but still is cool.

thanks again for your information an post.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

Latest posts