• Welcome to RedcatRampageForum! Are you a Redcat fan? If so you're in luck as you've have arrived to the biggest and best RedcatRampage RC community.

Come join our community and ask your questions, show off your Recat RCs and share your experience!

Drivetrain durability

jmrosko

I have Oneil Brothers 27.2 motor ported and maching and I'm going to be prchasing a side Dom. Can the stock drive train hold up to the power of this motor, pipe combo?

kryptonite

mt or tt? upgrade kit installed? the rest is up to you. some are running esp ported 30.5 with a side dom and never brake anything. some are running 26's and do nothing but cry.. if you drive slightly hard but use common sence i thin k you'll be ok with the upgraded diffs. but you will need to look into the steel drive gears that should be here soon. i think you might run into a melting issue with the extra torque and hot summer heats. venting the gear cover will give temperary help, but the new metal gears are 100%

edit:

Last edited by a moderator:

jigawatt

don't get mcd plastic gears... i chewed thru them faster than the stock gears. 10 minutes is all i got from them, rubbish! 27cc with dominator pipe... and melted gearsbin no time flat.

everything else seems tough as nails, gears are junk tho.

jigawatt

now... i just read over a previous post, are the new gears really going to be aluminum? no thanks! they better be steel!

kryptonite

jigawatt said:
now... i just read over a previous post, are the new gears really going to be aluminum? no thanks! they better be steel!
NO. they are steal and absolutly the tits. there is also going to be some kind of special when they first come out. if you plan on going all steel gears, don't buy the upgraded alum gear plate yet. you will need the one that is compatable with the steel gears metal gears 013.jpg

/monthly_2009_05/583c6058c6109_metalgears013.jpg.91cea67cdbe8b7bcb90eb2cb9bc9b208.jpg

jigawatt

as long as that part comes out soon, then cool beans man.

any eta on these gears and other parts?

kryptonite

jigawatt said:
any eta on these gears and other parts?
all i know is rob said he was going to talk to darrin sometime next week about the price. we'll have them before ya know it. are you all out of gears?

hamster huey

In my experience also the Redcat 25s last way longer than the mcds. I put a thread up asking everyone if the mcds are softer because they seem like it but the thread got little response.

kryptonite

jigawatt said:
first run of the weekend, no more than 10 mins on new mcd gears... melted! none left.
its a little late now, but are you venting the gear case.. i am also dumbed up by wich is better, mcd or redcat gears. i would think the mcd's, but i have melted both in speratic times. sometimes the oem gears would last and soemtimes the mcd's would last. then sometimes i couldnt keep anything in there.. my best resoults was with no gear cover or a well vented gear cover. with that i have not melted any gears

JIGA.. WERE ARE YOU LOCATED AND ARE YOU RUNNING A VENTED COVER?

DemonRC

jigawatt said:
I thought I was the only person on this earth that said cool beans. Every time I say it people look at me all cockeyed. Good to know I'm not alone :D

jigawatt

i run in minnesota, no vented cover. funny thing is that i suggested that these only come with metal gears before the first shipment of rampages came in. now look at us! melting them like crazy.

kryptonite

i guess they didnt pay you enough to make corperate decisions.. and what the fun of upgrading if its all ready upgraded? i bet if you vent that gear cover you wont melt any gears?

hamster huey

Good point Rob. I am running plastic with no gear cover and no problems but some people cant vent their gear covers effectively because the environment they run in would still allow debris to get in the gears. So keep in mind without cooling to the gears even all 4 steel gears will get super hot they just wont melt. The aluminum gear plate if present will also get super hot w/o gear cover venting and I wonder if the plastic gear plate will also get hot enough to melt w/o gear cover venting. Getting the bearings super hot cant be good on them. So my point is even with steel gears venting needs to be done.

jigawatt

I'd have to put a screen on the inside of the gear cover after venting to keep things out... otherwise w/o the screen, I'd just chew up more gears before melting them. I have also been debating on rigging up a graphics card cooling fan for it, or a northbridge cooling fan, whatever would be small enough to get air circulation in there. Anyone know the voltage comin off the coil? If I can, I'll just throw in a 12v regulator and make a AC to DC and run the fan that way if it can fit :D

kryptonite

hamster huey said:
. So keep in mind without cooling to the gears even all 4 steel gears will get super hot they just wont melt. .
i thought the same thing. i ran with a sealed cover pretty hard for a tank(all steel gears) and the only thing that got a little more then warm was the clutch plate. the gears mesh is so perfect that they don't even get warm. my truck even roles better.

kryptonite

jigawatt said:
I'd have to put a screen on the inside of the gear cover after venting to keep things out... otherwise w/o the screen, I'd just chew up more gears before melting them. I have also been debating on rigging up a graphics card cooling fan for it, or a northbridge cooling fan, whatever would be small enough to get air circulation in there. Anyone know the voltage comin off the coil? If I can, I'll just throw in a 12v regulator and make a AC to DC and run the fan that way if it can fit :D
wow.. that sounds like a hole lota work. many of us run with no cover with no problems. wouldnt sugjest it at the beach, but the gears spin way to fast to get chewed up with off-road dirt running. just drill some pilate holes on the top of the cover. also, didnt you melt those gears in 3 feet of grass?

hamster huey

I believe you if you say you ran with a full cover and the drivetrain/gearplate did not get hot but Im skeptical about the way I drive.......Ill get one and try it for myself based on your word then if Im happy Ill get a second. When you say the clutch plate got a little more than warm do you mean hot or warm enough to fatigue the bearings over time? How many hours or tanks do you see the new setup lasting for before it needs maintence?

jigawatt

kryptonite said:
wow.. that sounds like a hole lota work. many of us run with no cover with no problems. wouldnt sugjest it at the beach, but the gears spin way to fast to get chewed up with off-road dirt running. just drill some pilate holes on the top of the cover. also, didnt you melt those gears in 3 feet of grass?
that was one run, the other run where they melted is on a baseball field.

Not a lot of work at all... relatively easy actually. Graduated from college going for my AAS in electronics.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts